What's new

How did you learn?

webaficionado

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
How did you learn to drive? Did you take driving lessons or did you get one of your relatives to teach you?

Right now my dad is my coach.

I practiced with my dad everyday. First I started off in parking lots and then just drove on streets with very little traffic. Then moved onto big boulevards and avenues, and finally onto the highway.

I learned in an empty carpark with my dad teaching me the basics. After a year of this, I took driving lessons from an approved body from our local traffic authority which allowed me to learn the proper road rules and more advanced driving techniques such as reverse parallel parking.

Relatives, mostly. Getting an instructor is worth a king's ransom in this neck of the woods and I'm not wealthy enough to be shelling out on instructors willy-nilly. Got me through it though. No faults on the third time.

My dad taught me also. He took me to a parking lot and the funniest thing I remember was that I was using both my feet. Left foot on the brake and right foot on the gas. He told me to only use my right foot and I couldn't believe it. My mom taught me how to drive stick though.

Honestly, I learned the basics of driving from Arcade games. :D When I got behind the wheel of a real car for the first time, driving was a breeze! Though I did occasionally accelerate a little bit too fast. :D

I had lessons, from 3 different driving schools.

The first one was really dodgy because at the end of each lesson he would open the glove box and have a load of watches in there and try to sell me one! Well dodgy so I quit lol

Second one just wasnt very good, she seemed a nervous driver herself so there was no chance of her teaching anyone.

Third one was great, best tutor ever. Big problem though was he was an Arsenal fan and wouldnt shut up about them lol

Before I was driving cars, i had a go kart that I was always driving around. Since I live in the country, I got quite a bit of practice with it.

I learned from friends I went out with rather than my dad. My siblings said, "don't do it."

I learn't this from one of my friends. After a lot of buttering he would allow me to drive. Thats how i learnt't .Friends are the best ;)

Racing games really helped me, I think. I learned the basic coordination from them.
As for driving in practice, my father tought me. I got the hang of it pretty quickly I must say, I guess I have a talent for it haha

How did you learn to drive? Did you take driving lessons or did you get one of your relatives to teach you?

Right now my dad is my coach.

I learnt to drive from my dad too. We used to go every single day in the morning so that the traffic was comparatively lesser. After a few days he let me go and my own and I repiad his faith with a dent at the front ;). He then did train me for much longer before he let me go alone :)

I learned from a combination of my dad and driving lessons. I also guess that some of it is luck since I learned quickly. I just wish I had the opportunity of those of you who had the space to drive since you were very young.

I learnt how to drive by going to a nearby driving school as my family didn't have a car so I had to go to a school to learn how to drive. I spent around 25 hours practising before I went and got my license.
The first time I drove I was actually just 10 years old, my cousin let me drive his old Volkswagen Golf and I thought it was the best thing ever, it's what really got me into cars.

My mother and my step father taught me. Oddly enough always separately now that I think about it. My mom started me off on back roads and what not near the house. My stepdad as the one to take me out on the two lane highway and had be doing 65 in a 55 saying he knew I was gonna do it on my own. Both were great teachers and opposite spectrum in a sense so it blended well in my driving.

I learned at the age of 9 on my Uncles farm. He would let me drive the truck and the tractor out to feed the cows. When it came to driving on the road, my Dad helped me out.

I used my aunts SUV and practiced on that. It was tough driving a big car around, and being new behind the wheel didn't help.

Im really surprised how many people learn of family/friends. Even though you may get to a level to pass a test - they could quite easily be teaching you their bad habits.

We were required to take driving lessons. I learned on an automatic but drove manual for the longest time. I actually prefer a manual car, I feel like there is more control. I learned how to drive manual reading off the internet. I had watched my father teach my older brother and saw him come home crying night after night. It took him a full two weeks of teaching before my father left him leave with the car. It took me one hour :)

Back