What's new

How did you learn?

My dad was my first coach but I did take driving lessons afterwards. It was fun to learn to drive, I remember I was so excited when I finally got the nod to drive. Driving in traffic is no fun though :(

Im really surprised how many people learn of family/friends. Even though you may get to a level to pass a test - they could quite easily be teaching you their bad habits.

I think a lot of people go with the family as learning to drive is already pretty expensive to practise and if the family has a car you can save a lot compared to taking driving lessons. Either way people will pick up bad habits once they have passed their test anyway and that is usually from watching their parents drive when they were younger not when they learn how to drive.

One should not be surprised that many people learn to drive from family and friends. In reality, kids learn most of the things they do by watching and seeing as most children are not around strangers everyday it is very logical that they learn to drive from family and friends.

It is true that they will see the bad habits that others do and may pick up on them, however, this is where self control and common sense come into play. A child is going to understand if the person they are driving with is a safe driver or a potentially dangerous driver. They should be responsible enough to make the conscious decision to accept only the good habits into their own personal driving.

I had to take lessons with a school to get my learner's permit but then I barely ever drove until I tested for my license. Then I took another refresher course. My parents were a little retarded; they would never drive with me and then I got my license and kind of taught myself to drive.

After I got my regular license then they said they want me to drive only with them and I can't drive alone. I said "sorry you had a whole year to help me and now all of a sudden you show up when i am a licensed driver, thanks."

I learned to drive, while in Greece, around my dad's village. Both my parents were born in Greece, but moved to America before I was born. I learned to drive in a 5 speed Ford Focus rental car. It was the most horrible car, but it taught me how to drive stick and that was the whole point!

I took driving lessons and which every family members or friends could take me driving, took me if I pestered them long enough.

Back