What's new

How hard is it to get a permit in your state or country for

ssvs04

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
a pistol to keep in your home. Or a permit to get a concealed weapons permit. Im sitting here at home bored because of the heavy rain waiting for my 2 p.m. appointment to get my concealed weapons permit and it gave me this idea to ask. Dont want to start if its right or wrong to have a gun thread. Just purely wondering what the laws are in your neck of the woods.

I used to have a concealed weapons permit in Florida about 5 years ago and stupidly I let it expire without paying the renewal fee. So today I have to go through a 3 hour safety course. Take a multiple choice test. Go to the range and fire the gun safely. Then take my picture, have my finger prints done, pay $117.00 dollars to the government to check me out and in a few weeks I have a concealed permit.
p636738081-4.jpg

Now here in Florida you dont have to have a permit to keep a gun in your home or car. You just have to pass a background check to make sure your not a criminal. Its just when you want to carry it on your person concealed off your property that you need a permit.

p64606408-4.jpg

Here in Germany, AFAIK to get a weapon permit you have to prove that you're a member of a sports club and in need of a sports weapon. Then you can file an application for a sports weapon. If that is granted, you can purchase one with that permit. There are various safety regulations concerning the keeping and transport of the weapon. For instance, you have to transport gun and ammo separately, and you have to use a special transport box inside the trunk of your car. Government officials may inspect occasionally whether you're adhering precisely to the regulation and withdraw your permit if they decide you don't.

Result is, despite the black market for guns that exists in Germany too, only few people die from gunshot wounds.

If someone decides to seriously injure or kill another person, they use signal guns, knives, or dozens of other methods that are not related to guns. In fact, this makes it a lot harder to actually kill someone. Hence, murder isn't very widespread here, in general.

For sports enthusiasts, there are tons of weapons that comparably harmless, like air guns, which propel bullets by pressured air. Safety regulations apply to those as well, as if they were firearms, but for sports enthusiasts, this is entirely sufficient. I'm not sure now if crossbows or bows and arrows can be purchased without a weapons permit ... I think so ... but those can be hand made with relative ease if someone needs one anyway.

The right to wear a concealed weapon can be acquired only by people working in a related profession, like security gards, police, etc.

It is illegal to carry weapons in public, concealed or not, except for people working in a related field when they're on duty.

Here in NY you practically have to walk on water to get concealed carry permit. They're a little more leiant upstate where I am than in NYC. If your not applying as a cop for an off duty CCP you actually have to be interviewed by a judge! For all practical purposes if your a cop even if off duty your badge is your permit.;) Even the open carry laws are pretty strict here in NY.

FL has very lenient gun control laws over all. A buddy of mine has an open carry permit which was silly easy to get. He told me that the open carry laws are so relatively lax that he doesn't feel the need to go for a concealed carry.

Me, I'm not a gun guy so I could careless. My buddy being able to carry his pistol in his console doesn't make me feel any safer.. He's a bigger maniac than me. :D I used to have a couple of BB (air) pistols which was fun just for target practicing. I'm considering getting one again. I haven't shot a real gun since I'm 10 years old.

Washington I don't think is too bad..it's a big hunting state and lots of gun owners here. Once I become a a citizen a firearms permit isn't on my list of things to get...I just have a license for this years fishing to do

I went with my brother to the gun show the other day. He bought his gun there and got everything there for under 600 dollars. I think the gun was like 550 so, the rest was fees for licenses and such. So not much. And it was done on the spot. I guess it depends on the state, but down here we dont play that crap. We have a right to bare arms and we be baring them LOL

Well just got back and I now have to send off the paperwork and money. Six weeks later im carrying again. Its easier now to get the concealed weapons permit then the last time I got one ten years ago. God I love this state! Texas and Florida have to be the best two places to live in the country.

Its funny when I married my wife she wanted me to sell all my firearms because she didnt like them. After a while she learned to exceot them and liked the idea of having them in the house. So then she went to the stage of wanting me to take her to the range and teach her defend herself if someone broke in if I was not home. Its quite a sight to have my 95 pound wife shooting a .357 magnum!!
p827094619-5.jpg

Its funny when I married my wife she wanted me to sell all my firearms because she didnt like them. After a while she learned to exceot them and liked the idea of having them in the house. So then she went to the stage of wanting me to take her to the range and teach her defend herself if someone broke in if I was not home. Its quite a sight to have my 95 pound wife shooting a .357 magnum!!
That's cool! My wife feels the same way about guns, but I think she's like a shooting range.

Just need to pass a back ground check -- In Boston

When I lived in AZ I think you could buy a gun at the gas station lol

Yeah thats basically how it is here. You just pass background check and pay fees for documents. Other than that nothing to it.

Here in Holland it is not easy to get a permit. And if you have one, you are not allowed to carry it on you in public.
You'll be checked out by the police, takes a while. After that you must buy a safe for your house and car. The police will check them first and even after you get a permit, you will be checked now and than if you do it by the book. No munition next to the weapon and packed by the rules.

I do not mind weapons if they are used for sport. I do not like it to see people carrying it in public like we see on tv (in the USA fe). And I am amazed how easy it seems to get a weapon.

Here in Holland it is not easy to get a permit. And if you have one, you are not allowed to carry it on you in public.
You'll be checked out by the police, takes a while. After that you must buy a safe for your house and car. The police will check them first and even after you get a permit, you will be checked now and than if you do it by the book. No munition next to the weapon and packed by the rules.

I do not mind weapons if they are used for sport. I do not like it to see people carrying it in public like we see on tv (in the USA fe). And I am amazed how easy it seems to get a weapon.

For most Americans having a pistol or a rifle, etc is part of being American and a tradition that's past on among the family. Its not about violence (even though they are for protection) but a right given to us during the birth of this country and having that rifle and such keeps that right alive.

I fully agree with you, but times are changing and people must face the facts. I would not suggest to ban the right, but only make it way harder to get a gun.
But I am an outsider and know only what we see on the media about these things and beleive me, it is seldom nice what they show us.

I fully agree with you, but times are changing and people must face the facts. I would not suggest to ban the right, but only make it way harder to get a gun.
But I am an outsider and know only what we see on the media about these things and beleive me, it is seldom nice what they show us.

Oh man im breaking my own rules when I started this topic.

Not sure what you mean by times are changing? Gun owners have won big time in gaining more rights and less restrictions on gun owners who are law abiding citizens from our supreme court and the interpretation of the 2nd amendment. I guess thats the question by making it harder for law abiding citizens to get guns are we really making the public safer when criminals dont follow the law.

And when I was 12 years old I was just outside my home and saw my first violent act with a hand gun. I was walking to school and saw a arguing couple come out of their home and the wife was trying to get in her car to only be shot in the chest by the husband. Then the man puts the gun to his head and pulls the trigger to blow his head off. My father comes out of the home running to me to make sure im okay. Then comes up to the women who was still alive and my father was holding her and talking to her to hold on to only die just before the ambulance came. It was truly a sad thing to see and have had my share of nightmares from it. But we are a Republic and I believe for every bad act from a individual a gun for home defense saves far more people from being victims that the news does not report. The police in my town support concealed weapons permits by offering free finger prints that need to be sent in for permit.

Back