What's new

How old were your kiddos when they stopped playing with Play Doh?

kouponkris

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
My son told me he wanted some new Play Doh sets for Christmas, and it kinda surprised me, because he's 7. I thought he would have outgrown it by now. Luckily, I have some PD sets in my gift closet. I'm just wondering how long I have before he stops wanting to play with it. How old were your kids when they gave up PD?

About 8-9ish.

My 8 and almost 10 year old daughters still play with it OFTEN.

My 8 and almost 10 year old daughters still play with it OFTEN.

I don't know why I like him playing with it, but I do, and this comforts me knowing that he could have a few more years of PD'ing :). Maybe because it's such innocent and classic stuff.

I loved, loved, loved, PD when I was a kid...I would sit for hours mixing colors and then making it into food....I remember making green beens the most...LOL. I would make all sorts of food and then let it dry out and pretend resturant in my play kitchen. I would make up menus for the resturant....good times!

My kids never really got into play doh...*sigh*...I hate technology sometimes. You are never too old for PD!

WOW! My DD stopped playing w/it when she was like 5...I wish she still did...it's actually pretty cheap!

My kids stopped playing with pd the day that I threw it all out!!! :lol:

I hate hate hate pd. Actually - it's the clean up I hate. I hate finding it all over the floor, on clothes, stuck in the carpeting cause a piece fell off their clothes....etc!! So, i tossed it all. And if we get any as gifts, they go into our donation pile.

However, both of my kids would still play with it....if we had some. :snicker: Ages 5&8

Play doh is so classic. My 10 and 12 year olds prefer clay, but they would still play with play doh. Seven is definitely not too old.

All PD goes with my son to daycare. Somehow it never comes home again.

Absolutely no idea how much they play with it there.

I hate hate hate pd. Actually - it's the clean up I hate. I hate finding it all over the floor, on clothes, stuck in the carpeting cause a piece fell off their clothes....etc!! So, i tossed it all. And if we get any as gifts, they go into our donation pile.

However, both of my kids would still play with it....if we had some. :snicker: Ages 5&8

Scrooge!

I hear ya. My DS used to love Moon Sand. Didn't take very long before that became something he could only play with outside! :gah:

I hear ya. My DS used to love Moon Sand. Didn't take very long before that became something he could only play with outside! :gah:
Yep, Moon Sand is definitely an outdoor activity! For PD I use a big cookie sheet with a lip around it. My son knows that PD doesn't get played with on anything but the cookie sheet. When he's done, I dump the crumbs in the garbage. He never makes a mess with it, so I don't mind it. Any activity that he can play for more than 3 hours at a stretch is golden in my book!

You are me! I HATE. HATE. HATE PD!!

And if/when my :asshat: Sister buys my boys something, you guessed it PD :pms:

My kids still play with it if I let them. They are almost 8 and almost 6 and we still have a small supply. We have rules though. They only play with it at the kitchen table and only if I plan on cleaning the kitchen and floors in the next day or so. That way, if there's a mess, it gets cleaned up soon. The best way I've found to clean it up is let it harden a little and then vacuum it up.

I would never let them play with it if carpet was involved but my entire first floor is tile and bamboo flooring and like I said, it never leaves the kitchen.

My best memories playing with my son are with PD. I swear I bought just about every set. I was a freak about keeping the colors separate otherwise you ended up with big ball of blah. I think he stopped wanting to play around 8-9.

I have refused to throw/give away his PD sets thinking I will use them with my grandchildren. LOL my kid is 12, i'm going to be storing those things for hopefully a very long time.

DD11 still plays with it and if she is playing with it DD16 has been known to pick it up and play with it too.

Love Play-doh!

Big ole meanie! :tap:

:snicker:

My girls will be 6 the end of this month and still love playdoh. My 8 year old ds will sometimes play with it too.
Easy clean up trick. They always play with it on a kid size card table. So I lay a blanket under the table. When they're done I roll up the blanket and shake it off outside.

My girls will be 6 the end of this month and still love playdoh. My 8 year old ds will sometimes play with it too.
Easy clean up trick. They always play with it on a kid size card table. So I lay a blanket under the table. When they're done I roll up the blanket and shake it off outside.

Sounds about like what I do. I have a plastic "splat mat" left over from when my kids were babies. I put that under the table and their chairs and I also cover the table with one of those cheap throwaway plastic tablecloths that are sold for parties. When Play-doh time is over I just roll them plastic stuff up, take it outside and shake it out. Rarely is there ever anything else to clean up.

Back