I have a turkey carcass

fords8

Hanging Out!
Peak Director
Peak Mediator
Mountaineers
PF Member
Reaction score
now what? :bee: MIL gave me the carcass from yesterday because I want to try soup. I've never made turkey soup before. How do you peeps do it? If you want to share any recipes I would appreciate it.

I call it "bone soup" - start off with onions and celery, garlic sometimes, lots of water. BTW, I keep the bags onions come in, those mesh ones. I quarter my onions and celery stalks, toss them into a bag. Add whatever other spices you want to use. I tie it closed with turkey string or dental floss. It makes it easy to pull out if you've got folks who don't want onion pieces. Simmer the whole mess - for a long time - hours and hours. As the bones start to lose their stiffness (if you keep going, you'll have the perfect stuff for broth gel starter. But before you get there, take most of the broth and add turkey pieces, carrot, beans, peas, whatever you want, rice/potatoes. noodles.

Now, with the rest of the bones, add more water and keep simmering until the bones are no longer bones - they become a jello-like mass. This is the stuff with the most intense flavor. Save it and freeze. Use a spoonful or so like you would broth, just reconstitute with water.

Note, I didn't add salt. We are a salt-free house. Add according to your tastes.

Bone soup is the easiest thing on the planet to make. It's made with bones (beef, ham, turkey, chicken, etc.) and spices and lots of water. Boil/simmer. Then add whatever you want. You can take this basic soup and make it into a pot pie by thickening the broth, using cream/milk and flour to make a gravy and dropping it into a pie crust; you can turn it into cream soup, make a bean/veggie soup. You are limited only by your imagination and your family's tastes.

Really easy to get it boiling on the stove, then cool it a bit and pur it into a slow cooker and let it cook all night long. By morning, that'll be some excellent broth.

(let it cool off a bit as if you throw boiling hot liquid into a cold slow cooker, it may crack it.)

I already simmered the carcass...in a dutch oven with onions, celery, & carrots...maybe 3 hours on real low heat...I'd put it in the oven, but can't get the lid on the pan...I strain it & cook it down if it seems weak...then about Tuesday I throw in what's left of the meat from Thursday and any gravy (seldom any left)...We like it with noodles or rice...If I use rice, I cook it in the broth...

As usual this Thanksgiving, youngest son asked right off when the turkey and noodles will be served.

Back