What's new

I have never tried Hamburger Helper

new2q

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I have never tried the Hamburger Helper and was wondering if they are any good. My DD3 loves the kraft mac & cheese and was wondering if the taste is similar if i dont add any meat.

Thanks for your feedback.

You aren't missing much. Processed dinner junk IMHO. I only buy it if it's free and then usually donate it. I rate it up there with Raamen Noodles. More college foodish.

VERY salty. Nobody here will eat it. If I can get it free, I used to just pilfer the noodles out of it and discard the seasoning packets. But since the free Ronzoni, I don't bother anymore.

I make it once in a while for me and DH......kids don't like it. Sometimes I make the Mexican rice ones and put it in tortillas.

I personally dont care for them much. Maybe the chicken or the Tuna would be better. My husband wont eat it anymore!

I got a bunch of the rice ones which I plan to use as sides by adding half again as much rice to the mixture. Otherwise, too salty. Doing it my way gives me a quick dish for less than a dime. While I could do it from scratch (and usually do), it's nice to rip open a box and have everything right there except the additional rice. And buying these gives me 35 bonus boxtops for my school - I added 11 bucks yesterday alone.

I personally don't care for them. Kids aren't as picky so I tend to buy when free and give them to the ex. It's a step up from the Manwich spaghetti he makes for them.

I got a bunch of the rice ones which I plan to use as sides by adding half again as much rice to the mixture. Otherwise, too salty. Doing it my way gives me a quick dish for less than a dime. While I could do it from scratch (and usually do), it's nice to rip open a box and have everything right there except the additional rice. And buying these gives me 35 bonus boxtops for my school - I added 11 bucks yesterday alone.

Hmmm...this sounds interesting (especially the "less than a dime" part). So then do you increase the amount of water? Probably a dumb question, but I'm a novice in the kitchen.

Hmmm...this sounds interesting (especially the "less than a dime" part). So then do you increase the amount of water? Probably a dumb question, but I'm a novice in the kitchen.

Just don't use all of the seasoning packet.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I bought them for the boxtops and planning on taking all the hamburger helper to the food pantry.

From all the feedback it doesnt sound like there is much to them. So off they go to the pantry on wednesday.

I don't like HH at all. I've eaten it maybe twice in my life and I doubt I will ever again. It's basically just pasta with over salted seasoning mix. It would be so easy to make your own pasta with tomato sauce, meat, and seasoning and not much more costly either. And, you know exactly what's going in there then.

the only one I like is the crunchy taco but not with the nasty cheese sause I use shredded cheese however DH and the kids love hamburger helper so I make it if Im going somewhere and not eating at home

My DH eats it. I think it is gross. He will only eat Beef Pasta or Salsbury. Now this is where it gets even grosser...... He makes it without the meat and eats it on top of mashed potatoes. Ok let's be more disgusting......on top of INSTANT mashed potatoes. He makes 3 lunches out of a box. And eats it cold. Eewwww.

He has done this for over 5 years now. Again.....eewww!!

I grew up on them, so like the flavor. That being said, I don't buy them anymore since they're so unhealthy. I used to stretch it out by adding extra pasta and that made it less salty per serving.

It has so much fat in it and it doesn't even taste good. 23g or 36% fat. If you're going to eat something high in fat, it should be delicious!

I grew up on them, so like the flavor. That being said, I don't buy them anymore since they're so unhealthy. I used to stretch it out by adding extra pasta and that made it less salty per serving.

Same here. We had them a lot when I was a kid. Now it's just as easy to mix ground beef with pasta, veggies and some seasonings/sauces (bbq sauce!) for something a bit healthier.

Back