What's new

I heart Nick Malgieri

Italian? I see a lotta other countries.....Spanish, Dutch, French, Austrian, etc. :p Is there pics of the cookies? I have a hard time making a baked item without pics.....don't know why.

In my town (Kenosha, WI) there's a huge Italian population and there's no function without both biscotti and genetti (shown):

genetti.jpg

I buy them at a couple different Italian bakeries in town, but MIL's friends always make them homemade for holidays, etc.

All the kids grow up on them here. :)

ETA: Oh and here's the product info: Anise flavored cookie.
This recipe was brough over from Cozenza, Italy by my grandmother Santalli, and is still used today at our bakery!

Thanks, the website looks wonderful!

I had a beloved dentist in Highwood whose patients brought him presents. ( I walked into his waiting room one day and there were flowering bushes) Had the best biscotti in my life there, and never have been able to buy or bake some that good. Nick Malgieri's Ginger Macadamia nut recipe looks great.

I have a few of his books and just pulled them off the shelf the other day to pick out Christmas recipes! Malgieri's How to Bake was the first baking book I bought myself and I still use it all the time. I've never had one of his recipes fail. He has a hazelnut biscotti recipe that is fantastic....makes the hard dunking kind, not the almost-cookie-type biscotti they sell at Starbucks. Seriously, you'll break a tooth if you don't dunk (or slice super thinly)!

Here are two other pastry chefs with great blogs and really good books.

http://www.doriegreenspan.com/
Dorie Greenspan is to French recipes what Malgieri is to Italian. She takes authentic recipes and makes them seem accessible to anyone. She has some really high end stuff and also has a whole lot of 'grandma' type recipes.

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/
This guy is an expat living in France. He does all sorts of recipes that are not overly fussy and is a great photographer/storyteller.

I heart Nick because before I had a computer w/internet access, I discovered his books at the library. I had a hard time finding a recipe for a cookie called a Cucidati, basically a fig newton, because all the recipes that my aunts had required a pinch of this and a pinch of that. I can't bake that way.

So I got his book Cookies Unlimited and have been baking cookies from that book for years. You are so right when you say that you never have a failed cookie with his recipes. I have most of his books except Great Italian Desserts and his newest one Bake.

About 3 years ago I asked him via email if he was coming out with a new edition of Great Italian Desserts and he said 2010. Still waiting for the new edition. I mentioned that one of his recipes had the wrong name attached to it. Its really an almond cucidati. He didn't even know that. lol

So I wait. The book is out of print and is going for more then $100. ouch.

And yes, he does have cookies/desserts/breads, etc from all different countries. I'm just happy that he has the best recipes for my beloved Italian cookies!

Italian? I see a lotta other countries.....Spanish, Dutch, French, Austrian, etc. :p Is there pics of the cookies? I have a hard time making a baked item without pics.....don't know why.

In my town (Kenosha, WI) there's a huge Italian population and there's no function without both biscotti and genetti (shown):

genetti.jpg

I buy them at a couple different Italian bakeries in town, but MIL's friends always make them homemade for holidays, etc.

All the kids grow up on them here. :)

ETA: Oh and here's the product info: Anise flavored cookie.
This recipe was brough over from Cozenza, Italy by my grandmother Santalli, and is still used today at our bakery!

Hey, are these cookies hard? Seriously.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I need some of those cookies and a cup of hot coffee and I would be set right now--YUM!

I heart Nick because before I had a computer w/internet access, I discovered his books at the library. I had a hard time finding a recipe for a cookie called a Cucidati, basically a fig newton, because all the recipes that my aunts had required a pinch of this and a pinch of that. I can't bake that way.

So funny, I'm hoping to make these in the next week or two! I've never done them before...I'd read on a blog or two that they were a real pain to make, so I always take a pass b/c I don't have the time. This year, I'm just going to do it. Any tips? Do you follow his recipe exactly?

And I found Nick about 15 years ago on the Food Network. That was before it blew up into the whole celebrity chef thing. He used to host Cooking Live on Fridays. You could call in and ask questions. Great show and he always had such an approachable personality. I learned so much watching that show.

Hey, are these cookies hard? Seriously.

Not hard.....a lil firm from the icing coating. The inside should be tender (if they're good ones). I dunk 'em in coffee.
My 1 year old nephew was here over Thanksgiving (from San Diego) and had his first genetti....it's a big deal lol. We took pics. After that he kept pointing to them saying "Cuh....cuh....cuh...." (cookie). :lol:

Back