What's new

iPhone 5- Are you pre-ordering?

Anyone know the pricing on the 5 with a contract?

AT&T site says starting at $199. Not as bad as I thought it would be at all, I was thinking $500ish. Still not getting one, though. :p

funny LOF my dh thinks everyone is brainwashed by apple --that they all fall into the "Oh everyone has it..I need it.." even if there are superior products out there--but sadly these superior products dont have the marketing that apple does

YES apple products ar easy to use

but so are lots of other products

funny LOF my dh thinks everyone is brainwashed by apple --that they all fall into the "Oh everyone has it..I need it.." even if there are superior products out there--but sadly these superior products dont have the marketing that apple does

YES apple products ar easy to use

but so are lots of other products
they absolutely are brainwashed; why I call it a cult

"you have to buy our products, you can only buy our products, our products are the best"

I'm glad to see people standing up to them after they pulled a dbag move changing the plug....yes, the marketing is well done but the way they use people is sickening

DS who is 4 has an iPad. :faint: DH bought it to "develop apps with" and never did. He decided he hated the iPad and bought a Nexus. He said that I could have the iPad, but I really have no use for it, so DS uses it all the time now. He knows how to use the thing better than I do and is now watching his favorite shows on youtube. We have never showed DS anything on youtube nor showed him how to use it, but he is watching Angry Bird videos, Caillou, and Lazy Town on it. :faint:

Yes I am preordering.

I wanted to bypass the 4 and 4S.

I have been using my 3 for 4 years.

16GB was the pricier one from AT&T in 2008. I'm sticking with 16GB because it's always been too much capacity for me that I'll never use.

16GB is now the lowest tier for $199 for the 5.

I've been grandfathered in to AT&T's unlimited data plan since 2008 and use my phone as my primary internet browser.

Kathy,

I ran to the sprint site cause I was excited to think it dropped to $45 a month for unlimited with 4 phones. The website says $99 a month for lines 3-5. it is $210 for first 2 lines with the data addon. Were you talking prepaid?

I think I must have a grandfathered Sprint plan then, because when we had 4 phones on it was $45 a piece. My boss has an unlimited everything phone and it's $90 a month.

OK I looked more at Sprint. Unlimited data plans with 450 anytime minutes a month are $79.99 for 1 phone. Unlimited mobile to mobile & nights & weekends starting at 7pm. Everyone has a cell phone now, I only use around 100 minutes a month of anytime phone minutes. Family plan pricing is the link I posted just above this one, that includes 1500 anytime minutes shared among the phones (that's what we had before) but with unlimited mobile to mobile & nights/weekends we never even got close to using that many.

I am due for an upgrade this Nov, it's time to upgrade the dumb phone. :)
May be I will get the 0.99 IPhone.

OK I looked more at Sprint. Unlimited data plans with 450 anytime minutes a month are $79.99 for 1 phone. Unlimited mobile to mobile & nights & weekends starting at 7pm. Everyone has a cell phone now, I only use around 100 minutes a month of anytime phone minutes. Family plan pricing is the link I posted just above this one, that includes 1500 anytime minutes shared among the phones (that's what we had before) but with unlimited mobile to mobile & nights/weekends we never even got close to using that many.

that's what I have now. family plan for 1500 min with unlimited mobile to mobile
for any carrier and we never come close to our minutes. just thought if i could get the unlimited plan for the same that would be great

Nope.

Signed,
My Tracfone is at least 6+ years old. :bowing:

i will be getting a 4S as soon as the 5 gets released because it will be cheap refurbished :) I am always one behind, that is how I can fund my addiction. But honestly, if mine was tore up right now I wouldnt be rushing to get a new one

I understand the convenience of these things, but it never ceases to amaze me how people are more than willing to drop $500 to keep up with the Jones. From first glance it would appear that my phone is not very smart, but it's smart enough to not get stolen.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/19/tech/mobile/iphone-5-line-tips/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

"Want to get an iPhone 5 on Friday? You'll probably need to wait in line. Or pay someone to do it for you. Hipster-looking shoppers already have plopped down in folding chairs outside Apple's flagship store on Fifth Avenue in New York. And in San Francisco, a man working through a micro-tasking company (more on what that means in a second) has been diligently waiting in line, for a price, since Monday.

"You're going to wait here until Friday? God watch over you," a stranger told that person, who was using a service called TaskRabbit, according to his Twitter feed. Massive demand awaits Friday's iPhone 5 sale TaskRabbit nabbed the first-in-line spot to try to promote its online service that allows people to pay someone else to do a menial task for them. In this case, according to CNET, you can find people online who for about $40 to $150 will stand in line to purchase the iPhone 5 on your behalf.

That sort of idea isn't all that new, and line-standers also are offering their services on craigslist. "If you are looking to buy the iPhone 5 when it is released, but not looking to stand in the line. I'll do it for you!" wrote one person in Los Angeles. "I'll get in line at 6 a.m. for 40 bucks. Camp overnight for 70," wrote another stander, this one from the San Francisco Bay Area.

Other people are posting craigslist ads asking others to stand in line for them. One such ad, in Los Angeles, says the patron will offer the stander "a reasonable amount" ... "and on top of that, I'll even buy you breakfast."

For those who don't want to spend even more than the hefty price tag for the iPhone, but do want to pick up a phone on Friday, perhaps the line is the way to go. Unless you hopped online within the first hour or so last Friday, pre-ordered iPhones aren't expected to arrive for weeks. But plan to get up early on Friday morning.

While opening-day iPhone lines vary by location -- what passes as early enough at a Radio Shack in Boise may not work for the Apple store in Brooklyn -- analysts generally say advance consumer demand for the iPhone 5 is outpacing previous models. Early reviews of the phone have been positive.

Apple recently announced it had received 2 million pre-orders for the new phone, which is taller, faster, lighter and slimmer than the previous model, the iPhone 4S. That's about double what the company experienced for the previous iPhone, Apple said. That could foreshadow long lines. Or it could mean more consumers are skipping the line-waiting game and, instead, have chosen to order the phone online.
iPhone 5 pre-order shipping dates pushed back

The line waits are part exercise in extreme consumerism, part homage to Apple. Last year some of the line-standers made pilgrimages to Apple stores in part out of a sense of tribute to Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, who died a week before the phone went on sale. Fans set up mini-memorials in his honor at some Apple stores. To get a sense of what the most dedicated Apple fans are willing to go through, check out this chart from The Atlantic, which shows the longest Apple gadget waits. If you're just in the market for purchasing the new iPhone, not the in-line circus, there are several other stores that plan to carry the iPhone 5 on Friday. They include AT&T, Sprint and Verizon stores, as well as select Best Buy, RadioShack, Target and Walmart locations. Check with stores in your area for details. Still want to brave the Apple store? Doors open at 8 a.m. local time Friday in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the UK. The iPhone 5 will roll out to 22 more countries on September 28."

Back