What's new

iPhone jailbreaking (and all cell phone unlocking) made legal

Brandon

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Owners of iPhones and other smartphones are one step closer towards taking complete control of their gadgets, thanks to a new government ruling Monday on the practice of "jailbreaking."

This weekend has seen a flurry of activity about digital rights, but the biggest news dropped Monday morning, when the Library of Congress announced that it had made the controversial practice of “jailbreaking” your iPhone — or any other cell phone — legal.

Jailbreaking — the practice of unlocking a phone (and particularly an iPhone) so it can be used on another network and/or run other applications than those approved by Apple — has technically been illegal for years. Most jailbroken phones are used on the U.S. T-Mobile network or on overseas carriers, or are used to run applications that Apple refuses to sell, such as Safari ad-blocking apps, alternate keyboard layouts, or programs that change the interface to the iPhone's SMS system and the way its icons are laid out.

While technically illegal, no one has been sued or prosecuted for the practice. (Apple does seriously frown on the practice, and jailbreaking your phone will still void your warranty.) It’s estimated that more than a million iPhone owners have jailbroken their handsets.

read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc3236

It's probably best that they made that legal- seriously, jailbreaking a cell phone is not the worst thing that a person could do, and so many have done it anyhow that it's just pointless to make it against the law.
I do understand how it could void your warranty, though. Doing this, you could run the risk of your phone picking up some problem or another.

Wow. That's interesting, but I dont get what the big deal is? A 5 year old could jailbreak one, and its only done to enhance the phone. Unless, your doing it to download appz for free which is piracy. But other than that its a common thing. Good to hear that people are waking up to the new age.

This phenomenon is so common these days no wonder its made legal.

I dont even know what the point was of them going through the trouble of making it legal. Almost every ipod touch/iphone user already has it jailbroken. I know mine is.

Just found this cool site, you can jailbreak right from the phone with it!

http://jailbreakme.com/

ps.. I've tested this on my iphone 4 with 4.0.1 firmware, jailbroke it right from the phone, was awesome!!

Im gonna get the iPhone 4 in January when it comes to Verizon

I love mine
it's so much faster then the 3G

Im not typically a fan of any Apple or Mac products. But this is a must get for myself..and now that it's coming to Verizon next year I think I'll wait a few more months to upgrade.

so I take it you go through AT&T since that's where the iPhone is at now? Would you ever switch to Verizon when it goes over to it in January?
Probably not, the AT& T coverage for me here is pretty good, I'd have no reason to switch.

Ps.. I can now view flash websites on my iPhone thx to a jailbreak :)

Yeah, you can do way more than that with a Jailbroken iphone..Add appz for free, add games, hack games, lol Download music, watch various video formats. It doesnt pay to have one if its not jailbroken

Yeah, you can do way more than that with a Jailbroken iphone..Add appz for free, add games, hack games, lol Download music, watch various video formats. It doesnt pay to have one if its not jailbroken
I'm pretty sure viewing flash based websites on the iphone is very new ;)

Back