What's new

iPod is Hip in Fashion

fasteddie

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Forget the $200 iPod bag from Gucci; it's for cheapskates.

The ultimate iPod accessory is Fendi's Juke Box, a $1,500 carrying case for transporting multiple iPods.

That's right: multiple iPods.

The bag, unveiled by the Italian fashion house at a catwalk show in Milan, is a rectangular gilded purse about the size of a bread bin. It is lined with multicolored cloth and incorporates a pocket for holding up to a dozen iPods (see photo).

Lest it seem like a joke, it is not. The purse is designed specifically as an iPod carrying case. There's even a hole on one side for the iPod's earpiece cable.

"It was designed for the iPod," confirmed Fendi spokeswoman Ayana Lewis, who is based in New York.

The bag is supposedly available at Fendi boutiques nationwide, although outlets in New York and Los Angeles have yet to receive a shipment, according to sales floor associates.

The Juke Box was designed by German designer and iPod fanatic Karl Lagerfeld.

It is based on Lagerfeld's own iPod carrying case, an antique leather case "monogrammed for some Jazz Age aristocrat," according to a description by Hamish Bowles, Vogue's European editor at large.

Lagerfeld uses the case to stow his multiple iPods -- a dozen at last count, which translates into around 120,000 tracks, all of which he seems to know where to find, Bowles reports.

However, since Bowles' report, Lagerfeld has increased his collection significantly -- to 40 iPods. That's right, he now owns 40 iPods, according to the latest issue of French Elle. Modeling a silver jogging suit, Lagerfeld confesses to owning 40 of the devices. Although at first glance the reader may assume he means a single 40-GB iPod, he meant what he said: He has 40 iPods.

Lagerfeld has converted his collection of 60,000 compact discs to a unique iPod storage system, according to a recent report in Womens Wear Daily. Lagerfeld keeps most of the iPods scattered around his various homes, which, in turn, are scattered around the globe.

"The iPod completely changed the way people approach music," Lagerfeld told WWD.

The report continues, "The technology also inspired him to create iPod carrying cases for Fendi, and he allowed that their shape and materials could also be inspiring for fashion in general."

The iPod's influence can indeed be seen throughout Lagerfeld's latest collection for Fendi.

As well as the Juke Box, there's a silver iPod carrying case, which has not yet gone into production. Several items in the collection are made of translucent materials (reminiscent of Apple's use of transparent plastic) or feature a circular motif, a reference, perhaps, to the iPod's scroll wheel interface. For example, Lagerfeld designed a large silver ring called the Disk, a circular purse in semi-translucent leather, and the Compilation, a gold purse with a circular clasp.

"Lagerfeld's passion for the musical mix has obviously infused the entire Fendi studio," Bowles wrote of the collection.

Lagerfeld is so taken with the iPod, he often steers interviews toward talk of Apple's technology; at least, that's the running joke on sites like MacBidouille.

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,63423,00.html#

I must get one! where else could I put all my 7 iPods? :D

:puke: :hurl:

no offense

but i really dislike ipods and i find that people flaunt them because they're expensive and they've become a fashion accessory themselves. i'm very opposed to the technology-as-fashion trend that apple has started, but if that's your thing go for it

i need to get a i pod to fit all my zep songs into one place

but i don't have moeny so i will have to save up.

but i here u can get some good mp3's for under 200$ :troll:

Back