What's new

Is school a necessity for success in life?

Niyi Briggs

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Many people are quick to cite the fact that great inventors like Steve Jobs were college dropouts and went on to become highly successful people. And they use this basis to say that school is a waste of time. What is your opinion on this? Is school a major determinant of success in life? Or is it a waste of time and resources?

Education is a necessity for success. Schools are definitely a source of education, but you could make a solid argument that they are not very effective at it compared to other sources.

No, schools are not a waste of time.
They are needed to develop your brain and knowledge. Not all successes are dropped out.
What I am strongly against is that parents in particular assume that the school/university will fix your life and for some reason
out of the blue you will be successful. If you don't go determined for what you want, no school and nobody will get it for you.

I would say that school is important as it provides children with the chance to not only be taught face-to-face but to also socialize as well which is important.

I feel kids are overworked though to achieve ridiculous grades which often leads to stress and depression.

My relative is illiterate. It's a huge obstacle in his life. Anyway, despite this, he does well, but you can't tell me school is not important.

Education is needed up to the high school level, as for college, that is in great debate these days. I don't think people need college, someone pushed that and now millions of people are in debt without the proper jobs to pay off said debt.

Education is needed up to the high school level, as for college, that is in great debate these days. I don't think people need college, someone pushed that and now millions of people are in debt without the proper jobs to pay off said debt.
I think two majors are needed; one that is job secure and another that may or may not be. Of course, a third and fourth option is people finishing only high school or going to a trade school.

I think two majors are needed; one that is job secure and another that may or may not be. Of course, a third and fourth option is people finishing only high school or going to a trade school.

Trade school would be better than nothing, I still wish I did that instead of wasting time/money in college.

School education is important. For a lot of people getting expertise by going to college or university might not be possible but the basic education you get in school is very important. Without school education, you cannot get a job.

School is not necessary when it comes to success. I have seen a lot of people who never went to school but are doing okay.

It depends on what one defines as education. Even the so called Steve Jobs had to have some education on he field they excelled in. That is where the problem lies. People should get the education that would be useful to them.

Back