What's new

JBL Eon 305 passive speaker question.

Skid Rowe

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I'm using a pair of JBL passive Eons hooked up to a Yamaha EMX5014 powered mixer. The mixer has a built in 9 band graphic equilizer, so I can't put in an external 32 band EQ. The JBLs are a "bright" speaker, and I like a richer/warmer sound when I do my shows. The problem is that at certain frequencies, the cabinets resonate. I can pull out the offending frequency, but since the mixer only has a 9 band EQ, I'm also pulling out several of the adjacent frequencies, and I loose the rich/warm sound I like. It's most notacable on slow songs with long suspended bass lines.

My question is, could I open the cabinet and line it with foam, or some type of insulation to absorb the resonance, and keep the cabinet from vibrating?

Thanks in advance. :embarrassedpill:

Why can't you put an EQ between your Mains out and your amplifier and just set the onboard eq flat? That's what I do/did.

DannyGKaraoke said:
because it is a powered mixer.

D'oh!

I missed that part of the post....

Doesn't that mixer have an FX send/return?

Skid, you most certainly can line the cabinets to damp resonation. I have done this with the insulation that house siding contractors use. It's about 1/2" thick with foil backing and easily cut to shape. The thin insulation won't alter the sound of the speaker, but will internally damp vibration.

My vote is an EQ in the FX send/recieve of the mixer instead of modifying the speakers..... any time you put something inside the speakers you reduce the volume of the speaker and the dynamics and ability of the woofer's movement.... ie less air. Not a good idea from a standpoint of speaker design.

What you could try is using rubber gaskets around the speakers where it touches the cab and and rubber gromets between the speaker grill and the cab.... basically put a rubber between any parts that connect to the cab and pose a vibration threat.

Or try an external EQ if you don't want to become a speaker tech

I've tried them a couple of more times, and still don't like them. I've put them on Craig's List. If they don't sell, I'll just trade them in at the local Guitar Center. Thanks everyone for all your help.

You cannot effectively make an efx send/return loop work for an external eq. The way these loops work is it passes the full signal, but the loop is on a sidechain so to speak so anything added is just going to be combined to the full signal of the mains, not to replace like what he'd want to do. Unfortunately this mixer, other than putting an individual eq on each channel, cannot use an external eq with the internal amp. In reality the built in amp is a little underpowered for those speakers, they would be suited better with a 500 watt per channel amp which is probably why the brightness.
If you had an external amp to use, that is a whole different story eq wise, run the ST out to an eq and then to an external amp and then you just bypass the internal eq (and amp).

I know everyone will think I'm crazy, but I'm trading in the two JBL speakers for a pair of Peavey PR15 passive speakers. I've tried a pair for the last two weeks, and I like them. They seem to have more depth and richness than the JBLs. The Peaveys are almost half the price of the JBLs. I should have bought THEM in the first place. They have a slightly larger cabinet, but are about the same weight. (31 pounds).

well if you like the smoother sound go for it....I hope they work out great for you. We find the JBL's to be a bit harsh as well

Thanks Athena, glad to know I'm not the only one.

Back