What's new

Just ordered my Alienware!

Don't know if I like the fact that they loaded it up with great components only to use a weak motherboard chipset (why not the i865 or i875?!?), but they don't give that as an option.

In all, nice system. :)

Alienware is nothing but a rip off. They turn around and build a PC that cost you maybe $1,000 if not under charge you $1,000 for there case, and then dump the price up another $1,000 for profit. They rip you off and it is pathetic how many people pay it what such a rip off.

I can turn around build a 3GHZ with 800FSB and a better video card with 2-4GB of Ram and still beat this price you paid.

One word, rip off.

Well, it's great that you can build it for x amount of dollars.
Alienware is around for 2 types of people: those who don't have the ability to build it, and those who don't have the time to build it.

In either case, you have to pay for the luxury of having someone else build it for you, and then support it for you.

Sure, but Alienware charges WAY WAY MORE then the cost to support it. They overcharge you which = rip off. If someone can't build it then they can always have the option of going somewhere local or Gateway and Dell instead of **** Alienware.

Gateway and Dell don't use anywhere near the quality of components that Alienware uses. Alienware has always used the same parts used by the enthusiast community, such as Abit and Asus motherboards, Crucial RAM, etc.

Try getting that kind of spec on a Gateway or Dell machine.

Again, they're performing a service which not too many places perform. Their prices really aren't that off-base for the service they're providing, the product they're building, or the support they're offering.

It's a fairly simple business concept.

I'm curious to see LinuxGeek build a laptop which can compete with an Area-51m

BTW: they used that chipset/motherboard configuration because 1) that is what unidell offered with the case and more importantly 2) Problems with heat generation.

The benchmarks with the older chipset are still rather impressive.

PS: I hope you were smart enough to get the system using the Maximum PC discount and then use the $85 coupon to get it for about $3200 as opposed to the $3,700 they are charging on their site. And please, for the love of god, get the ATI 9600 card. The specs on that thing blow the NVIDIA away.

Sure I could, I could beat it just like anyone else with enough knowledge could. :)

I could even design a case to beat the Alienware case, and the one that is used for the laptops. Nothing impressive..

right...

since the 16"LCD will cost $500+ to begin with, I have a hard time with that one

aren't you so special... :nod:

still think I can beat you on price though.

You typically have to buy them directly from OEMs who make laptops, or directly from vendors who make the parts for OEMs.

For the typical end user, don't even consider the possibility. Laptops are way too proprietary in design for even experiences system builders to consider putting one together for anything more than an expensive learning experience.

what's with everyone's obsession with alienware.. what happened to building yer own gaming machine?????

kids these days have it too easy :p

On Today @ 05:17 AM WaterB had this to say in Post #16
what's with everyone's obsession with alienware.. what happened to building yer own gaming machine?????

A) Pretty hard to do with a laptop. (Check his link above)

B) When you want a high performance machine, but just don't have the time to research the parts, research multiple vendors to ensure you're getting the best overall price and service, wait for all of the parts to arrive, and then put it all together and troubleshoot it, Alienware is definitely a viable option.

Heck, I would consider them if I *needed* a new system ASAP and just didn't have the time to build it. My time is extremely precious, as well as severely lacking. Between work, studying for my certifications, regular maintenance of my house (mowing the lawn, fixing problems, etc.), and trying to make time to actually have a life with my girlfriend, I could easily see a point where the more beneficial option would be to order than to build.

Just because I have the ability to put it together myself doesn't mean that all the other pieces have fallen into place to allow me to do so.

Back