What's new

Justices Weigh Parental Notification Law

Brainfreeze said:
What the tax payers have to pay for an abortion is pennies in the bucket compaired to what tax payers have to pay when a child is put into the adoption process.

Are we putting a price tag on children's lives?

bob_gray said:
In your opinion. In mine, it is.

bob_gray said:
Actually she does.
You are correct. According to law, she does. Again, I completely and utterly disagree with this. I believe a parent has the right to know what their minor child is doing. You mentioned crime. That is completely different, and I think a silly comparison.

bob_gray said:
That is why the law was passed, to take away that right.
And I pray to God it succeeds.

bob_gray said:
If we (the nations of the world) were handing out birth control in the schools and on street corners and by mail for free to every man and woman of breeding age along with ramping up our education then we would see far fewer pregnancies. I think that the number of women who have multiple children and no resources clearly demonstrates that your strategy isn't working in any country.
Actually, teen pregnancy is down, and statistics show more children THAN EVER BEFORE are pro-life.

Black Mage said:
Not in Canada. The Criminal Code defines the beginning of a human as
"A child becomes a human being with the meaning of this Act when it has completely proceeded, in a living state, from the body of its mother...â€

It was also a law once that a black man was the property of his white owner. Just because something is a law, does not make it "right" morally. Abortion is murder, in my opinion. To pro abortion people it is not. Nothing either say is going to convince the other, so the point is mute.

Ever watch "Silent Scream"?

This whole "teen pregancy" thing is a relatively new phenomenon anyway. It's only really been within the last 100 years that women have been having their first child outside their teens. The unacceptablility of older males entering into relations with teenage women, better contraceptive technology, longer lifespan have all contributed to this.

And to suggest that the pill and other contraceptives encourage promiscuity is preposterous. People have been "spreading em" throughout history, and I doubt it's going to change much. Africa is a good example of this, despite the AIDS problem.

The only thing really new to this is a different morality set, particularly when a child becomes an adult. This whole phase of being a teen and being a youth was created within the last 100 years as well. At one point, if you were old enough to work the mines, you were a man, even though you might have been 11. None of this youth buisness. So saying that a "minor" has no rights to decide what goes on with their own body is just preposterous. Society has given young people enough credit to make their own decisions as adults before in history, why can't we?

GoingNova said:
That is completely different, and I think a silly comparison.
I explained why it was a valid comparison. You have presented nothing to counter that fact.
Actually, teen pregnancy is down, and statistics show more children THAN EVER BEFORE are pro-life.
I know it is down. It is down for precisely the reasons I stated and not the reasons ANGLOIRISH stated. Increased education and availability of birth control are directly responsible for the drop in unwanted pregnancies. We (everyone) should continue this successful policy. I stated my original argument vaguely.
To pro abortion people it is not.
This is misleading. There aren't many "pro-abortion" people. Most people are in the pro-choice camp which is why they are called pro-choice. Most of them fall into the, "I wouldn't have one but it isn't my place to tell you not to." Don't forget that God will judge each person accordingly.

bob_gray states:
I know it is down. It is down for precisely the reasons I stated and not the reasons ANGLOIRISH stated.

I don't recall ever saying that teen pregnancy was up or down statistically speaking. If I have said that I would love to see where you saw it.

ANGLOIRISH said:
I don't recall ever saying that teen pregnancy was up or down statistically speaking. If I have said that I would love to see where you saw it.
You did not, GoingNova did. I was merely point out that my strategy is a proven method reducing pregnancy while this strategy
ANGLOIRISH said:
Let her experience the pain of child birth and she may think twice before she open them to anyone.
is not.

If certain people in society feel that sneaking around behind the backs of parents and murdering (aborting) babies is what is best for 12 and 13 year olds, bob_gray then who am I to suggest otherwise? Right? Promoting deceit and dishonesty seems to be the norm these days (from what I see happening), so why not? Thw mwssage is loud and clear - Bump and grind your **** off because we will step up to the plate and murder the consequences. No need to rat you out and tell Mom and Dad! After all it is your body and even though your parents foot the bill for everything you want in this world, we will just have the tax payers front your night of lust. Let those hormones rage and don't you worry about a thing. Mums the word! You spread em and we'll scrape 'em!

It is a sick, sick society in my opinion that promotes lying to parents and covering up for what minor children are doing. What kind of message are you sending these children? I thank God I will never have to personally deal with this issue. Something in this world has gone terribly wrong and I believe it all began when society turned its back on God.

ANGLOIRISH said:
If certain people in society feel that sneaking around behind the backs of parents and murdering (aborting) babies is what is best for 12 and 13 year olds, bob_gray then who am I to suggest otherwise? Right? Promoting deceit and dishonesty seems to be the norm these days (from what I see happening), so why not? Thw mwssage is loud and clear - Bump and grind your **** off because we will step up to the plate and murder the consequences. No need to rat you out and tell Mom and Dad! After all it is your body and even though your parents foot the bill for everything you want in this world, we will just have the tax payers front your night of lust. Let those hormones rage and don't you worry about a thing. Mums the word! You spread em and we'll scrape 'em!

It is a sick, sick society in my opinion that promotes lying to parents and covering up for what minor children are doing. What kind of message are you sending these children? I thank God I will never have to personally deal with this issue. Something in this world has gone terribly wrong and I believe it all began when society turned its back on God.
Actually if you look at the numbers crime has been on the decrease for as long as it has been recorded. If society has in fact turned its back on God, it has benefited from doing so. News organizations, on the other hand, are more omnipresent than ever, and they are simply uncovering the fact that the world has never been as moral as one would like to believe (I believe that the numbers were that a 30% decrease in crime was accompanied by a 700% increase in news coverage, but I'm not sure). Also, as Black Mage has pointed out, teen pregnancy was once relatively common, if not the norm. In reality the world has never lived up to the modern moral standard. Abortion has also been around for a very long time.

Wikipedia said:
The practice of induced abortion, according to some anthropologists, can be traced to ancient times. There is evidence to suggest that, historically, pregnancies were terminated through a number of methods, including the administration of abortifacient herbs, the use of sharpened implements, the application of abdominal pressure, and other techniques.
Soranus, a 2nd century Greek physician, suggested in his work Gynaecology that women wishing to abort their pregnancies should engage in violent exercise, energetic jumping, carrying heavy objects, and riding animals. He also prescribed a number of recipes for herbal bathes, pessaries, and bloodletting, but advised against the use of sharp instruments to induce miscarriage due to the risk of organ perforation. [9] It is also known that the ancient Greeks relied upon the herb silphium as both a contraceptive and an abortifacient. The plant, as the chief export of Cyrene, was driven to extinction, but it is suggested that it might have possessed the same abortive properties as some of its closest extant relatives in the Apiaceae family.
Such folk remedies, however, varied in effectiveness and were not without risk. Tansy and pennyroyal, for example, are two poisonous herbs with serious side effects that have at times been used to terminate pregnancy.
19th-century medicine saw advances in the fields of surgery, anaesthesia, and sanitation, in the same era that doctors with the American Medical Association lobbied for bans on abortion in The United States and the British Parliament passed the Offences Against the Person Act. Demand for the procedure continued, however, as the disguised, but nonetheless open, advertisement of abortion services in Victorian times would seem to suggest. [10]

However, I do think that parents should be informed about a child's abortion, just as they would be informed if their child committed a crime or was sent to the hospital by an injury or illness. The fact that the child is pregnant suggests that the child in question has been engaging in unprotected sex (not necessarily the case, but the vast majority of the time), which is a dangerous behavior (STDs).

ANGLOIRISH said:
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times]If certain people in society feel that sneaking around behind the backs of parents and murdering (aborting) babies is what is best for 12 and 13 year olds, bob_gray then who am I to suggest otherwise? Right?[/FONT]
No one said that it is "best" for 12 and 13 year olds but obviously my answer is "yes" to this rhetorical question. Anyway, we'll just have to see what the courts decide. (Although, since you are in Canada, it probably won't affect you.) Clearly our ideas about sex are radically different and we have now both presented our sides. Thanks for the discussion.

Back