What's new

Karaoke Downloads

JoeChartreuse said:
A near miss there. It's not the download sites that would sue, and it wouldn't be a civil suit. It would be a criminal suit. The U.S. has never drafted a combination license ( Sync, Performance, Reproduction, Mechanical) that is required by U.S. law for use in a show. Too many people involved, that don't cooperate.

And why would any of the above differ with any of the other NON-Download formats? Gem Series?

Manobeer said:
And why would any of the above differ with any of the other NON-Download formats? Gem Series?

Excellent question! The difference is that when you use mfrs.' original discs, you are using a product that THEY are responsible for, because it's THEIRS. All licensing responsibility rests on THEIR shoulders. If you own a mfrs. disc, licensing is not YOUR problem.

An MP3 download is no longer the manufacturers' original product. It has been format shifted, uploaded from a computer to a server through whatever means of transmission, then - through whatever means of transmission- it is downloaded to a consumer's PC. Besides being only a copy of the original, there is absolutely no quality control of the product. It is no longer the mfrs.' original product. It is YOURS, and ONLY YOU are responsible for licensing.

Think of it as kind of a warranty. If you buy, say, a new amp, it comes with one. However, if you open it or alter the electronics, the warranty is voided, because the mfr. no longer has any guarantee that the product is in it's original form.

I'm not saying discs are more LEGAL, only that the responsibility stays with the mfr., not the Karaoke Host.

Of course, this is overly simplified. Your receipt shows that you paid in good faith, and downloading for non-public use shouldn't be a problem. However, until and unless a combination download licence is even written in the U.S., and can be included with each track from the mfr., it is illegal to use these tracks to run a show. The only "Permission" a mfr. can give is for the process of downloading.

Joe, would all that SYNC/performance/etc... stuff still be required if it was sold and downloaded as a VIDEO ala Itunes or such?

Manobeer said:
Joe, would all that SYNC/performance/etc... stuff still be required if it was sold and downloaded as a VIDEO ala Itunes or such?

Absolutely. The Sync license is to be able to synchronize video with music, and no matter how much people want to pretend otherwise, a karaoke lyric scroll is video synchronized to music.

Moonrider said:
Absolutely. The Sync license is to be able to synchronize video with music, and no matter how much people want to pretend otherwise, a karaoke lyric scroll is video synchronized to music.

Correct. Changing what it is called doesn't change the content.

Well that`s how karaoke may be classified, but it doesn`t make it right. There are exceptions to the rule.

Example:you don`t need a sync licesnse to display subtitles for a movie. I`ve even seen movies where the lyrics for a song are displayed with the little note symbol, I wonder if anyone had to pay for thatÉ

jclaydon said:
Well that`s how karaoke may be classified, but it doesn`t make it right. There are exceptions to the rule.

Example:you don`t need a sync licesnse to display subtitles for a movie. I`ve even seen movies where the lyrics for a song are displayed with the little note symbol, I wonder if anyone had to pay for thatÉ

I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I can GUESS at a possible reason:

Using subtitles in movies is generally an indicator that it's audience is not in the country where the film was made. I'm not sure that any copywrite laws for this use extend beyond the jurisdiction of the country of origin.

Moot point though. Not Karaoke. :sqwink:

jclaydon said:

Dialog is considered part and parcel of the video. I'm sure the music had a sync license, which possibly cost more if the lyrics were to be displayed.

JoeChartreuse said:
I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I can GUESS at a possible reason:

Using subtitles in movies is generally an indicator that it's audience is not in the country where the film was made. I'm not sure that any copywrite laws for this use extend beyond the jurisdiction of the country of origin.

Moot point though. Not Karaoke. :sqwink:

OK how about Closed Captioning? Being hard of hearing I watch TV with the CC on and yep it's all there.

Lone Wolf said:
OK how about Closed Captioning? Being hard of hearing I watch TV with the CC on and yep it's all there.

Again, you're making me hazard a guess. If I were to assume that no licensing is needed ( I'm not, just going along...), a GUESS would be

A governmentl goodwill gesture for the hearing impaired, just like having TTL line capability on phones?

A funny side note. Try using CC in the early morning hours, especially on network TV. It's hysterical. The typists are either still drunk or asleep..:sqlaugh:

Another thought, at least as far as live programming: There's a delay between speech and CC- is that still considered synced?...:sqerr:

Again, these examples are all moot points, and not a subject of any serious study by me. Hence the GUESSES.

The only place this counts for our purposes is download karaoke- and that situation is very clear.

MP3GMUSIC.COM said:
Never had a problem for private use digital downlods.

That's because in a private consummer's home investigators wont go... however, they can track illegal downloading via p2p networks that private citizens use and could eventually pinch you for having them and/or providing them for download..... point is just because the big bad wolf ain't knockin' at your door doesn't make it any more legal to do.... assumeing you are refering to the share sites.....

Downloads from the so called "legal" sites no problem private use... but, as much as I hate to agree with Joe... haven't been licensed for commercial use, so outside of the private residence it may or may not be legal to use.

It would be nice to get someone from Tricerasoft to comment on this forum regarding their product. Are they legit to use in shows or not?

dave said:
It would be nice to get someone from Tricerasoft to comment on this forum regarding their product. Are they legit to use in shows or not?

If you ask them, they will say it is perfectly ok, but I mean reallly what else are they supposed to say? :sqwink:

I will say this for them, they do pay licensing for all the tracks from ZOOM, SBI, and Sunfly so if you stick with those, then most likely no one will bother you, but if you want a GUARUNTEE then stick with ripping your discs.

dave said:

On another forum they said:

TriceraSoft said:
We cover the purchaser for the performance license - this is the license to use the song from the digital download on your computer. The manufacturer is also paid to keep them happy and keep you legit. Keep your receipts, these represent your license paid for your territory and are trackable all the way back to the copyright agencies AND the manufacturer -- we are members of SOCAN, MCPS, and APRA and these cover the territories.

DJMM33 said:
I am new here....and first I searched the forum but did not see what I was looking for.

I was looking around on internet to try and find a good site to buy and download Karaoke Music.

I found this website and thought I would check with all the KJs here to see what they have to say about it?

www.buykaraokedownloads.com

Also are there any other sites with good Karaoke files?

To me the site looks legit. That is mainly what I am looking for and the files to be good sound quality and accurate.

I have heard about that download site and everyone who is someone I guess has said that it is an illegal site. Kinda like limewire I guess. Hey, did I hear someone say ergmusic is doing karaoke? You gotta be kiddin. I have dj disc from them. did not know they do karaoke

coocoo4karaoke said:
I have heard about that download site and everyone who is someone I guess has said that it is an illegal site. Kinda like limewire I guess. Hey, did I hear someone say ergmusic is doing karaoke? You gotta be kiddin. I have dj disc from them. did not know they do karaoke

By the way, I see some of these threads get aggressive. I am not claiming to be an expert. So please, I do not need anyone challenging my brain. I will easily give up.. Plus didn't your momma tell you to to hit ladies, hehe

coocoo4karaoke said:

Though the use in a karaoke show is illegal, nothing says that the SITE is. It's all about the end use and user...

Back