What's new

Karaoke In A Bowling Alley???!!!

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I was recently contacted by the owner of a large bowling alley. It has a bar/lounge, and seems to target a corporate type for late hours use.

The fact is that I'm really not interested- I prefer working restaurant bars. However, the question remains- has anyone ever heard of this before? More importantly, has anyone seen it work successfully?

i've never heard of it before, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with the right host and a little promotion.

-James

I was recently contacted by the owner of a large bowling alley. It has a bar/lounge, and seems to target a corporate type for late hours use.

The fact is that I'm really not interested- I prefer working restaurant bars. However, the question remains- has anyone ever heard of this before? More importantly, has anyone seen it work successfully?

Yup, they do it in my neck of the woods...

Not actually in the Lanes area of the bowling alley but in their lounge. Works just fine usually starting just after leagues or durring things like 9 pin no tap fun nights. Folks pay $20 bowl as much as they can in 2 hours then go to the bar for karaoke, what better way to end a nite I say!

Joe,

I did it for 2 years in the AMF bowling center here in C-ville, the problem was it was corporate and the checks came slowly and way behind they were into me for $2800 when they informed me that AMF was filing for bankruptcy and I lost it all.

I did a league party right in the lanes one time that was as boring as hell but in a lounge it shouldn't be any different thn anywhere else

Joe - Did it for years back when I did karaoke... As has been mentioned, it usually takes place in the lounge and it is really no different than any other bar...

My friend here in town owns a fairly new Bowling/entertainment/sports bar place called Pinz. www.pinzbowl.com He had Karaoke right in the lanes area. I was there for one night and I must say it was a bit annoying. I'm not sure if he's still doing it. I usually only visit when I have client meetings. He has a nice private room with 4 lanes that works great for rehearsal dinners. In fact my daughter is having hers there in July.

I will echo that with the right entertainer it can work but having it in the lanes, the focus is not on the Karaoke.

Yep. It does work.

They do it at numerous bowling alleys around here, and all of them have a good amount of people.

If the moneys right Joe, I'd do it.

I dunno. I don't know that I would bring in the folks that normally come in to get the ball rolling for me. Maybe once or twice. They are used to a different atmosphere.

The bulk of the regulars would have to be built from within. I would guess I would have to check the lounge size to find out whether it's big enough for enough customers to make my fee worthwhile. Also, I would have to see how late they can stay open....

Still hard for me to wrap my mind around it.

For Thunder: For me, bar shows are now cash only. I've been there, my friend. In my case it was a restaurant group.:sqfrown:

Joe at your regular pub/restaurant gigs how many show up on a nightly basis and what size is the room compared to this bowling site? In So Cal actually Santa PAula they had Karaoke there on Fridays and it was always packed 10 yrs ago. I know it was quite popular for quite awhile.

Joe at your regular pub/restaurant gigs how many show up on a nightly basis and what size is the room compared to this bowling site? In So Cal actually Santa PAula they had Karaoke there on Fridays and it was always packed 10 yrs ago. I know it was quite popular for quite awhile.

I can't make a comparison because I haven't seen the alley lounge yet. Also, the comparison would not be accurate by people alone. Since I normally work restaurant bars, these people are buying expensive dinners as well as drinks. They have more opportunity to spend money. The alley lounges that I used to frequent way back in the league days served inexpensive drinks and fast food. Not as much of an income producer even if filled.

My largest venue holds over 300 (170 in the bar), my smallest 65. If I pack a bowling lounge of 50, it may not be enough to make it worthwhile, While my 65 brings in a few thousand due to expensive food and booze.

I would guess that when frequenting the above mentioned venue there was a full house consisting of 150 to 200 folks avg per night and the fare was somewhat quality menu. Steaks and lobster being the high end. No snails though.

I would guess that when frequenting the above mentioned venue there was a full house consisting of 150 to 200 folks avg per night and the fare was somewhat quality menu. Steaks and lobster being the high end. No snails though.

That 150-200 is only at the largest venue. The others are closer to standard restaurant bars with capacities of 120 or less, closer to 100.

Ya know, I never could figure out snails- slugs with shells...:sqerr::sqwink:

That 150-200 is only at the largest venue. The others are closer to standard restaurant bars with capacities of 120 or less, closer to 100.

Ya know, I never could figure out snails- slugs with shells...:sqerr::sqwink:

Ah speaking of slugs the poor mans escargot!

Collet 20 or 30 or the little beast rinse them in vinegar (takes the slim off of them) and satue in butter, taste the same or better than escargot!

A Slug is nothing but a snail without the shell!

Back home (here in Southern California) we've had some really successful shows at one of the local bowling alleys. I had (before owners changed) a great show at a local pool hall. It's all about getting the management behind it. It can work very well...

Y'all know I'm not a karaoke guy -- but my experiences with both bands and DJ'ing, has not been great in those venues...

Very egotistical crowd, who are more into showing themselves off, than spending money -- just my humble opinion...

@Joe,

You need to get a gig at Gully's, in Newburgh, NY. It's not that far from you (about 3/4 mile from me). Floating bar, with another 3-4 clubs in walking distance, on the Hudson.

I think they're already booked about 3/4 through season -- but you would love the crowd, and the money :)

Very laid back, party atmosphere -- and waiting lines to get onto it (it's a floating barge).

It works well. We have done it in the bar and out in the open where people are bowling. Its good out in the bowling area on family nights it gives kids a chance to sing karaoke where in bars they generally are not able to do so.

If it's in the lounge it's no different than any other bar. There are a few bowling centers that have very nice lounges in our area that people that don't bowl go and hang out at.

Y'all know I'm not a karaoke guy -- but my experiences with both bands and DJ'ing, has not been great in those venues...

Very egotistical crowd, who are more into showing themselves off, than spending money -- just my humble opinion...

@Joe,

You need to get a gig at Gully's, in Newburgh, NY. It's not that far from you (about 3/4 mile from me). Floating bar, with another 3-4 clubs in walking distance, on the Hudson.

I think they're already booked about 3/4 through season -- but you would love the crowd, and the money :)

Very laid back, party atmosphere -- and waiting lines to get onto it (it's a floating barge).

Thanks! I know of Gully's. Unable to get them interested so far, but I can't even get an owner's name- been in contact with what seems to be a manager. It's about 40 minutes from me, so I won't make an unscheduled visit. Maybe the next time I hit Garnerville I'll stop there too....

Back