What's new

Karaoke Rentals? Really?

I am not exactly a "geek", but I have been around computers for awhile.
With that said, while I have no need to understand what you said, I am amazingly confused!

You said, "the only way to TRULY protect your 'collection' is to use Roxbox and encrypt it. Alright, I don't understand that, but I guess I can call Roxbox and find out what that means?

Now, if using Roxbox is "the only way to TRULY protect" my "collection", the following statements leave me reeling
(1) no software can prevent copying? didn't you say Roxbox "TRULY" works? Because if doesn't prevent copying it is not working in regard to what Diafel wants to accomplish
(2) "you can use Safe End personal protector. Oh, so something other than Roxbox "TRULY" works, Roxbox is not "the only way to truly protect" a collection from copying?
(3) "Like proformance said, it's (the safeguard employed) mostly to slow people down, or discourage them.. the really adament ones will beat the system if they have the time". Oh, so nothing "TRULY" works?

Please help. I am totally lost here!

It is a proprietory format that encrypts the songs to the cpu that it was encrypting on. Copying the files is useless unless you can copy the cpu that they were encrypted on.

The only way to truly protect your collection is to use RoxBox and encrypt it.

There is no software that can stop copying.. If the file is readable, it's copyable, with no exception.

That's not true because you are thinking only in terms of a singular software as the sole precurring cause of prevention.

What would be the point of having a locked gate if you didn't also put a fence around the yard?

You're all too busy looking at a problem you haven't properly defined. This is not an encryption problem. Total "data protection" is not what you are trying to achieve. You are trying to prevent unauthorized copies or transfers of copyrighted works - that means you have to find a way to keep certain files restricted to this machine without affecting others or disabling any of the computers functionality.

This is a software and hardware issue. The first probelm you need to solve is: "how do you prevent someone from taking the hard drive?" After that, the software issue works very well.

That's not true because you are thinking only in terms of a singular software as the sole precurring cause of prevention.

What would be the point of having a locked gate if you didn't also put a fence around the yard?

You're all too busy looking at a problem you haven't properly defined. This is not an encryption problem. Total "data protection" is not what you are trying to achieve. You are trying to prevent unauthorized copies or transfers of copyrighted works - that means you have to find a way to keep certain files restricted to this machine without affecting others or disabling any of the computers functionality.

This is a software and hardware issue. The first probelm you need to solve is: "how do you prevent someone from taking the hard drive?" After that, the software issue works very well.

I'm not sure that anyone considering the issue has a concern about their drive disappearing, rather they are concerned about unauthorized copying by someone who had intentionally been given the drive, such as an employee?

I'm not sure that anyone considering the issue has a concern about their drive disappearing, rather they are concerned about unauthorized copying by someone who had intentionally been given the drive, such as an employee?

You have two scenarios to consider:

One is taking the files from the machine, the other is taking the files directly from the drive.

You cannot assume that the computer you hand someone will be the same one they use to access the drive. It need not "disappear" - it might only be on a brief "vacation."

And if the drive doesn't get a "vacation" and they have the original machine? I'm talking external hard drive here, as well as a lappy so this isn't making much sense.

Wow Diafel

I asked where in Canada you hosted but you wont share. I thought true Canadians turn the other cheek. Angry Canuck??? Say it aint so.:sqwink:
Thanks again for that non helpful non information. Why bother even posting if you're going to be like that? Just gets people angry, you know.
Next time just keep it to yourself and say nothing.

either way if running RoxBox and you used their encryption program the files would be useless if copied.

Light bulb moment here.

Doesn't Cavs ( which I hate in general) have a sever based system that has remote units. So a karaoke company can have KJ's in the filed but not the HD?

I asked where in Canada you hosted but you wont share. I thought true Canadians turn the other cheek. Angry Canuck??? Say it aint so.:sqwink:
Not sure what this has to do with the topic at hand, but I will indulge you and tell you why I won't tell you where I am.
In the past, I have had internet stalkers and it got so bad that they have tracked me down and even called my home (unlisted number to boot!). That was just a bit much for me! Ever since, I am cautious about giving out my personal information. Even giving out the fact that I live in Canada seems a bit too much for me. I am now VERY cautious.
The fact that you were a mite bit pushy about wanting to know where I am coupled with the fact that I am extremely cautious when it comes to my personal privacy, led me to ignore your requests for said information.
Sorry, but I will continue to do so and I certainly would never post my location in a forum that pretty much anyone can have access to.
Once bitten, twice shy.

Back