What's new

Karaoke Software

I'm really liking Karma. I been usinfg PCDJ / KJ for a few years now and I'm ready to switch.

I'll second the vote for Karma.

http://www.latshawsystems.com/ProductDetails_Karma.aspx

I'll even throw in some of the reasons why:

- Flawless audio engine with built-in key changer, tempo, EQ, fader, etc...
- Clickless search. People underestimate how much time you waste grabbing the mouse and navigating to a search box.
- Drag and Drop for songs, singers (rotation order), and playlist
- no plugins required (all in one app and one install)
- Latshaw's state of the art licensing model that allows users to login to their web site and reset a license if a machine crashes, anytime, 24 hours a day without the need to call anyone or wait for an email response. Have a machine die before a show and try to get another up and running asap with any other software!
- Call me crazy for this reason, but darn it, the program just looks good in low light environments and is very easy on the eyes.
- Oh yeah, the new auto-find technology they use they enables you to share a playlist with a friend regardless of where their music files are physically located on their drive. As long as the title, artist, discid, and file extension match, it will find the song in your collection. Winamp can't even do that.
- Startpoint and endpoint settings for individual songs in the playlist (and get saved with the playlist). If you ever want to have a "show" of showcased singers and want songs to come in right after one another without a pause, this is a really cool feature.
- Ability to double-click a singer and view their entire history and simply drag a song from their history right into the current queue, AND it also remembers the key they sang it in!
- I like how it shows the next singers display between songs so you don't have the drunk people all staring at the mezmorizing scroller when they should be paying attention to the singer.

In my opinion, I just think a lot of things were much better thought out when they designed this program. That's my two cents...

Sa-WEET. If I weren't such a dedicated Luddite I'd say Karma sounds HOT! I might consider changing over from PCDJ/KJ Red on the toy. What's the price tag, and is a demo available?

Sa-WEET. If I weren't such a dedicated Luddite I'd say Karma sounds HOT! I might consider changing over from PCDJ/KJ Red on the toy. What's the price tag, and is a demo available?

The price is $99. Just follow the link in my previous post for the download.

BTW, what is a Luddite?

In the context that Joe uses it, it's someone who refuses or is reluctant to abandon the traditional and established way of doing things.

When people adopt a methodology or a technology that works well and that they are comfortable with, many are reluctant to adopt a new technology or methodology despite advancements that make the new way superior to the old way. It's not necessarily a philosophical/religious reason like with the Amish, it may just be a matter of "why mess with something that works", "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" etc.

In the case of using computers to host Karaoke instead of CDs, the new technology is still in it's early stages. There are still refinements and improvements that are coming along regularly that will eventually make using a computer so much better that only a small and resolute group of Luddites will be left clinging to the old ways.

I can understand the people who were cautious early on and who decided that they didn't need the buggy software and all the problems that came with using a computer. They were right. But Karaoke software has improved in just the past couple of years since I started messing around with this stuff.

Some folks just don't like computers and never will. I see people even of my generation-I'm 50-who have an irrational fear of computers.

Some folks just like the simplicity of pulling a CD from a book or a carrying case, slipping it into a drive and pressing play. It doesn't require complex thought or intense concentration and it becomes so mechanical that it can be done almost on autopilot. I understand that. Lets them concentrate on the guests more.

There is something to say for the clarity and quality of CD sound. However, if CDs are ripped at a high bit rate, there is such a small difference as to be undetectable by 99% of people or higher.

Whatever works well for you . . .

I'll have to admit I do like Karma better than most other karaoke softwares I've used and tried in the past. It's still not AutOKdj but it is useable.

I will be buying it so that I can test it out much more thoroughly then the demo allows.... I wish the demo were a timed limitation demo over a number of singer song enque limitation.... this doesn't afford any real demoing in that you can't see the process of how it handles rotations beyond 5 songs...

In the context that Joe uses it, it's someone who refuses or is reluctant to abandon the traditional and established way of doing things.

When people adopt a methodology or a technology that works well and that they are comfortable with, many are reluctant to adopt a new technology or methodology despite advancements that make the new way superior to the old way. It's not necessarily a philosophical/religious reason like with the Amish, it may just be a matter of "why mess with something that works", "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" etc.

In the case of using computers to host Karaoke instead of CDs, the new technology is still in it's early stages. There are still refinements and improvements that are coming along regularly that will eventually make using a computer so much better that only a small and resolute group of Luddites will be left clinging to the old ways.

I can understand the people who were cautious early on and who decided that they didn't need the buggy software and all the problems that came with using a computer. They were right. But Karaoke software has improved in just the past couple of years since I started messing around with this stuff.

Some folks just don't like computers and never will. I see people even of my generation-I'm 50-who have an irrational fear of computers.

Some folks just like the simplicity of pulling a CD from a book or a carrying case, slipping it into a drive and pressing play. It doesn't require complex thought or intense concentration and it becomes so mechanical that it can be done almost on autopilot. I understand that. Lets them concentrate on the guests more.

There is something to say for the clarity and quality of CD sound. However, if CDs are ripped at a high bit rate, there is such a small difference as to be undetectable by 99% of people or higher.

Whatever works well for you . . .

WOW? Ya gone and went NICE on me! :sqwink::sqbiggrin:

You also gave the clearest and definition and reasoning I've seen. Thanks!

I'm VERY nice, I just tire of repetition Joe. I suppose it's to be expected on these forums if one spends enough time at them as I do.

Had I gotten involved in all of this several years ago there is no question that I would have been CD based instead of going the computer route.

Once I jumped in with two feet, I had LOTS of software problems coming into computerized Karaoke as Vista was coming onto the scene. Had I bought my first laptop with XP I'm sure I would be much further along and would have had much fewer challenges.

I've used Karaoke CDs to do a show at the bar I went to when I first got into Karaoke, so I'm familiar with the process, I just skipped over that technology for myself. I do have a player and just ordered a V2Go player last Friday, but they are for the Luddites who come to my show when I host Karaoke. If not for that I would be all computer. Every disk I bought and all the new discs I buy get ripped and put away so they don't get scratched up. For me discs are simply the medium that the songs are stored on. I have no attachment to them. I don't care how the music gets played, but I'm not a Luddite. I embrace new ideas and new technologies. I don't fear change, I like change. I am the extreme opposite of a Luddite.

To keep this post germane to the thread, I tried the Latshaw Karaoke demo and didn't like it at all, I though it was horrible. If it does so many things I certainly didn't see how and couldn't figure out how to do much of anything with it. It was one of the worst programs I've ever used. Horrible user interface. I really don't like a black screen either.

Speaking of Luddites.... I suppose the term could also apply to me... although I do embrase, the computer revolution, as it were I still cling to the "If it works don't fix it" mentality too.... hence my reluctance to afford any other program for karaoke outside of AutOKdj as being good or even worth while...

I'm in the process of possibly changing my mind and allowing another program to slide in as a possible good alternative.

Karma (aka KJPro): Who can tell me more about this program as I am reluctant to blow the $99 on it just to test it out better.... I'm affraid the demo version is to restrictive for a full on test of it capabilities... I like what I see but I am not sold yet.

just ordered a V2Go player last Friday, but they are for the Luddites who come to my show when I host Karaoke.

A slight hijack for a sec, folks.

Wiz, when you get the V2GO, would you try an experiment for me?

I have the unit, but my PC isn't up for this. Could you try running your PC through the USB port on the front of the player and let me know if it works?

I use mine with a stick on occasion (kinda slow cue) but was wondering about the PC.

Actually I''m only a semi luddite. I can't be afraid of new technology if I'm helping to design it..:sqlaugh::sqlaugh:

....now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

My understanding of the USB port on the V2Go is that it's purpose is to connect a hard drive or USB thumb drive to the player and play songs stored on the hard drive or thumb drive. I don't think you can connect the player to a PC-we will see . . .

I'm very curious about Just Karaoke and I'll probably end up buying it because from what I saw it was simple and clean looking, text based, plays most types of Karaoke files, has a fast and simple song search and it's only $25.

I think it can tide me over until I am more established and I have several nights per week hosting and money coming in. I've used Hoster and I would describe it as crude but effective. I don't like the proprietary KMA file format and there are several other things that are just not the best way of doing things IMO. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want something really, really good.

I haven't tested Compuhost yet, but from what I've read, it's better than anything on the market. I have to think long and hard before I spend $300 on a piece of software.

Speaking of Luddites.... I suppose the term could also apply to me... although I do embrase, the computer revolution, as it were I still cling to the "If it works don't fix it" mentality too.... hence my reluctance to afford any other program for karaoke outside of AutOKdj as being good or even worth while...

I'm in the process of possibly changing my mind and allowing another program to slide in as a possible good alternative.

Karma (aka KJPro): Who can tell me more about this program as I am reluctant to blow the $99 on it just to test it out better.... I'm affraid the demo version is to restrictive for a full on test of it capabilities... I like what I see but I am not sold yet.

If the only limitations are 5 singers or 5 playlist entries, you can see all of it's capabilities. What exactly are you expecting to see in a 40 person rotation over a 5 person rotation? If it can handle it? It can. It works just the same with 40 singers and 40 songs in the playlist as it does with 5.

What you really want is the ability to use it in a live show (where you would have more than 5 singers or songs). A show is never the place to test anything. Test it at home and learn to use it so you're not stuck looking stupid in front of your crowd, and it also gives you a neutral environment to learn, make mistakes, and see if it is better than what you're currently using without getting frustrated in the middle of a show and totally ditching it because you never took the time to learn it.

I think it was smart on their part to not have a time limit on it because it enables home users or novice singers to have a decent karaoke player at home, and those people wouldn't have paid $99 anyway, so why not make it basically free for them, and let the word of mouth spread to the people who would pay for it. The problem with time limits on programs is that it for all those people who wouldn't have paid for it anyway, the moment the time is up, they end up deleting it from their hard drive, and hence, eventually forget about it.

If the only limitations are 5 singers or 5 playlist entries, you can see all of it's capabilities. What exactly are you expecting to see in a 40 person rotation over a 5 person rotation? If it can handle it? It can. It works just the same with 40 singers and 40 songs in the playlist as it does with 5.

What you really want is the ability to use it in a live show (where you would have more than 5 singers or songs). A show is never the place to test anything. Test it at home and learn to use it so you're not stuck looking stupid in front of your crowd, and it also gives you a neutral environment to learn, make mistakes, and see if it is better than what you're currently using without getting frustrated in the middle of a show and totally ditching it because you never took the time to learn it.

I think it was smart on their part to not have a time limit on it because it enables home users or novice singers to have a decent karaoke player at home, and those people wouldn't have paid $99 anyway, so why not make it basically free for them, and let the word of mouth spread to the people who would pay for it. The problem with time limits on programs is that it for all those people who wouldn't have paid for it anyway, the moment the time is up, they end up deleting it from their hard drive, and hence, eventually forget about it.

Don't assume to put words in my mouth....

For some reason it seems that anytime someone posts about a program you like it's an adversarial post. Not true on my part and you have assumed the wrong thing.

I do not want to use this program untested in a real show. All I'm saying is to test it properly and to give me a real sense of how it handles rotations the 5 song/singer limitation makes it impossible.

What would make this program easier to test in demo mode would be a time limit of say 30 minutes per load. In other words load it up and then 30 minutes later it disables itself or shuts down forceing you to restart. But, with out the silly singer/song limitations.

I want to give this program a fair shake before I buy but, do not wish to waste $99.00 if it's not going to perform to my satisfaction.

Despite better judgement I took the plunge and purchased Karma... Believe me I am still not so sure it is a wise purchase since I have yet to be able to test it out fully.... I'm still waiting on my license key....

I will have a full and detailed report as soon as I get full access to the program... I only hope that I haven't wasted money.

I've never seen Karma, but CompuHost will do everything that was described above. Altho' the price is higher. CompuHost will also fade to filler tunes and you can create a playlist for your filler music. You can preset buttons for karaoke songs you use all the time (Happy Birthday, stuff like that) and you can also play videos and run slide shows. There are also buttons you can set up for videos and songs you want to get to fast (Cupid Shuffle, goodnight songs, etc).

CompuHost requires a dongle key to start it, their way of protecting their software. You can download a demo. CompuHost comes with a CDG ripper and it's been upgraded to work with nearly any drive. Some drives, of course, work better than others, but I've successfully ripped discs from DVD drives as well as my Lite-On CDR.

I like it!

So how was Karma Rob??? I've been using Roxbox for a couple years , and have been considering switching, just to have better dj options along with my karaoke, and i haven't liked any of the demo's for anything else that i've tried

I use JustKaraoke because it allows me, like Joker and AutoKDJ, to operate a kiosk for song requests. I just never liked the way you have to name your files on AutoKDJ for them to come up right in the media library.

Loneavenger said:
So how was Karma Rob??? I've been using Roxbox for a couple years , and have been considering switching, just to have better dj options along with my karaoke, and i haven't liked any of the demo's for anything else that i've tried

I love Karma it's stable and has all the features I will ever need. Since I have VDJ I don't need it to do more than track rotations, singers and play filler music.

DannyGKaraoke said:
I use JustKaraoke because it allows me, like Joker and AutoKDJ, to operate a kiosk for song requests. I just never liked the way you have to name your files on AutoKDJ for them to come up right in the media library.

I haven't used AutOKdj in over a year now.... it's a great program better than any other Winamp based player I've ever used including Roxbox and Show Presenter.

But, I'm not going to tell you what you should use. Whatever works for you and you are comfortable with is fine.

Back