What's new

Karaoke Thing That Makes You Go Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
So last Thursday I was doing my regular show, and there was some excitement. Doesn't matter what it was, but under it's cover, I saw someone grab one of my song books and take off out the door.

I went to chase, but the thief was already in the car.

This was reasonably early, and the perp was only there for little bit. This was a deliberate sober act.

OK, I made a new book and life goes on...

Except: Motivation. There aren't a whole lot of reasons why someone would want my song listings. A competitor would have no use for it. A singer? For what- so they could write up all slips in advance? I'm guessing no.

Which makes me go hmmmm.... :sqcool: Thoughts?

JoeChartreuse said:
So last Thursday I was doing my regular show, and there was some excitement. Doesn't matter what it was, but under it's cover, I saw someone grab one of my song books and take off out the door.

I went to chase, but the thief was already in the car.

This was reasonably early, and the perp was only there for little bit. This was a deliberate sober act.

OK, I made a new book and life goes on...

Except: Motivation. There aren't a whole lot of reasons why someone would want my song listings. A competitor would have no use for it. A singer? For what- so they could write up all slips in advance? I'm guessing no.

Which makes me go hmmmm.... :sqcool: Thoughts?

Thats the guys from Sound Choice....they'll be back!:sqwink:

Can you say obsessed stalker? Anything you touch is of value to this person. Wow! You must a local celebrity:sqerr::sqwink::sqlaugh:

Sorry Joe -- just got tired of hearing the wannabe idols sing... :sqlaugh: :rofl:

Joe,

For years I have suffered the loss of book after book at shows!

Most of them have been competitors (they know how much it cost to produce these books) I have lost as many as 8 in one night after a new printing (I do 40 books for my system)! Several years ago in one months time I lost 37 books at different shows, one of my competitors was at every one of those shows but I never saw him carry a single book out of the door!

I have also had many a singer take a book out so they could go through it at their leasure at home, I started giving the old books away to singers after I made a new printing and that pretty much stopped the singer taking them!

For shows that only have one or two books that everyone shares a competitor taking one or two books can kill a show (that is disc based :sqwink:)

Years ago, I used to lose one or two per week.

Since everyone in the area now has everything imaginable on their hard drives, I almost never lose books now.

I do try to leave a " bar copy" at each account for various reasons. :)

Lee

eezee said:
Can you say obsessed stalker? Anything you touch is of value to this person. Wow! You must a local celebrity:sqerr::sqwink::sqlaugh:

I actually have two of those, but ladies would never do anything that might annoy me....:sqerr::sqlaugh:

Mantis1 said:
Years ago, I used to lose one or two per week.

Since everyone in the area now has everything imaginable on their hard drives, I almost never lose books now.

I do try to leave a " bar copy" at each account for various reasons. :)

Lee

Oh I've lost books at shows before, plenty of times. I've also had them purposely vandalized.. I carry plenty, so this did the show no harm, just dented the wallet a little.

No, it was the manner in which this was done. The intent wasn't for me to LOSE a book. The thief WANTED that book. Call it good body reading or just gut instinct. Plus the fact that they ( there was a driver who never came in) took off when they got it.

Thunder said:
Joe,

For years I have suffered the loss of book after book at shows!

Most of them have been competitors (they know how much it cost to produce these books) I have lost as many as 8 in one night after a new printing (I do 40 books for my system)! Several years ago in one months time I lost 37 books at different shows, one of my competitors was at every one of those shows but I never saw him carry a single book out of the door!

I have also had many a singer take a book out so they could go through it at their leisure at home, I started giving the old books away to singers after I made a new printing and that pretty much stopped the singer taking them!

For shows that only have one or two books that everyone shares a competitor taking one or two books can kill a show (that is disc based :sqwink:)

I have two "books" one by Artist and the other by Title/Song. Each in divided into volumes alphabetically, 4 sections each "book". Therefore there are 8 binders out on the counter. I announce that each book is different so you have to look through to find your artist or song in that particular volume.
I have never yet lost a book.

ahoustondj said:
I have two "books" one by Artist and the other by Title/Song. Each in divided into volumes alphabetically, 4 sections each "book". Therefore there are 8 binders out on the counter. I announce that each book is different so you have to look through to fine your artist or song in that particular volume.
I have never yet lost a book.

I can only ask WHY would you do a book in seperate alphabetical sections. Why not just print several books by Artist and Several by title, unless you have an absolutely insane library! Even then if you reduce the number of repeats you would have it down to a reasonable size to print several single complete books!

Thunder said:
I can only ask WHY would you do a book in seperate alphabetical sections. Why not just print several books by Artist and Several by title, unless you have an absolutely insane library! Even then if you reduce the number of repeats you would have it down to a reasonable size to print several single complete books!

Sales Strategy! Let the customers browse! They don't have the luxury of taking a complete book back to their table to choose songs at their leisure so they stand at the long counter with everyone else and choose their songs there and then. Plus, I am cheap! Paper is cheap but ink is not!:sqbiggrin:

Joe,

What is left to discuss on the origional situation, everything was covered!

1. Singer took it (not likely since it was early and the robber had a getaway car running at the curb):sqlaugh:

2. Competitor took it (most likely since many do)!

3. Sound Choice spy took it (read #2 above and they had a getaway car running at the curb):sqlaugh:

4. Sound Choice investigator took it (and the U.S. government actually financed the 9-11 incident :sqwink:)

JoeChartreuse said:
Well, that didn't take to long to hijack...:sqfrown::sqrolleyes:

Don't sweat it Joe! How many times yer gave the lady/wife/significant other a good hug and then ended up doing other...........hmmmm........... things that make yer go hmmmmmmmmm! :sqlaugh:

ahoustondj said:
Sales Strategy! Let the customers browse! They don't have the luxury of taking a complete book back to their table to choose songs at their leisure so they stand at the long counter with everyone else and choose their songs there and then. Plus, I am cheap! Paper is cheap but ink is not!:sqbiggrin:

But they have to browse through different books not readily available to each person just to find a song they want to sing!

Participation equals sales in Karaoke making it convinent for the patron increases participation!:sqbiggrin:

Hey Joe maybe it's that new USKSS (United States Karaoke Secret Service) you know the men in pastels... :)

Joe there is one other possibility (if you work in a college town as I do) possibly hazing situation or a Frat or Sort scavenger hunt!

I saw a list once for a sort scavenger hunt that included: a restaurant sign, Sude coat: tennis shoe, man's belt, man's underwear (briefs only), beer mug and several other things that I don't remember, it is possible that "Karaoke Book" was on a list in your area!

Thunder said:
But they have to browse through different books not readily available to each person just to find a song they want to sing!

Participation equals sales in Karaoke making it convinent for the patron increases participation!:sqbiggrin:

Psychology my friend! When you make things too easy you diminish its worth. Best way to sell a used car? Have several would be buyers all show up at the same time... they each want to be the one to have it and have the others leave empty handed.
My regulars now just wave to me and I pull out their saved slips and queue them in. Makes them feel important!

ahoustondj said:
Psychology my friend! When you make things too easy you diminish its worth. Best way to sell a used car? Have several would be buyers all show up at the same time... they each want to be the one to have it and have the others leave empty handed.
My regulars now just wave to me and I pull out their saved slips and queue them in. Makes them feel important!

I like it when my regulars sing different songs instead of the same ol predictable songs, I have one singer I can load as soon as he walks through the door with every song he is going to sing that night and in the order he will sing them! I have another singer who comes to my Monday night gig who is now at 292 "different songs" and has never repeated a song she previously did!:sqwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back