What's new

Karaoke version or Instrumental?

G

I don't do "kareoke" normally
but I have a request from this weekends bride to play an instrumental/karaoke version of From This Moment by Shania Twain
Looked on Amazon ansd they have MANY versions....

So what is the difference between an instrumental and a kareoke version of this song?

I would assume the karaoke version may have lyrics embedded in the file?
since I dont have the player to display the lyrics
can I use the karaoke version on a regular mp3 player anyway?

A ripped karaoke song has the actual lyrics/karaoke file and the mp3 file. You will only need the mp3 file.

The difference in the various karaoke files is of course going to be the quality of the arrangement and the key that it's in.

If you can find an instrumental of the original song, I would go with that.

thanks Hank...
Amazon does let you preview the songs a bit
and some of them were pretty good, others were not even close to the original.
just wanted to be sure.

Also, an "instrumental" may differ depending on whether it is an accompanyment track (made for someone to sing the lead) or intended to be it's own arrangement (Lead done by an instrument.)

Kenny G is an example of instrumentals where the lead voacal is replaced by an instrument. These versions are typicaly not menat to be used by someone who intends to sing the song.

If all they want is an instrumental then Amazon or iTunes will have this in Karaoke form but, they will not include the lyrics.

Do they need the lyrics on screen?

If so you will need a program that can play it back such as VDJ or even Winamp with the right plug-ins. If you already know how to send your video from your laptop then karaoke setup will be a snap as it works the same way.

-or-

You'll need to purchase a karaoke disc with that song on it.... and you'll need to borrow a player.

no lyrics needed
so the VDJ is not an issue.

I was kinda thinking that a Karaoke version may have the click beats to let you know when to start singing.
but this is the bride's 3rd marriage, it's an outdoor picnic with no formalities except for the first dance...
so I am sure this song is not a high pressure thing

Ausumm said:
no lyrics needed
so the VDJ is not an issue.

I was kinda thinking that a Karaoke version may have the click beats to let you know when to start singing.
but this is the bride's 3rd marriage, it's an outdoor picnic with no formalities except for the first dance...
so I am sure this song is not a high pressure thing

Nope, the quality versions such as Sound Choice that you can buy as music track only will not have a click track but my in fact have backing vocals but no lead vocals.

As Proformance said, an instrumental might, or might not, be what you need, depending on the arrangement.

And, as you found out from previews, not all Karaoke versions are the same, or true to the original either.

But there's something else.

A lot of Karaoke tracks include vocals! Generally it's just backup vocals of the chorus, and usually at lower volume, but it still bothers me every time I hear it.

I was just checking my versions....

From SC7600-13 is the best version I have and it has no backing vocals or lead.

How soon do you need this? You could order the Disc from acekaraoke.com and just rip the mp3 like you would any other CD....

I was checking our versions and came to the same conclution as joker...but he got here first

thanks everyone
I can now make a well informed decision!

You're on the right track with what everyone has said, but usually for these scenarios, I find it best to tell the bride to go to these sources online and preview the different versions herself and pick it for you. No guessing. Besides, she may like the song, and know it's what she wants, but when she listens to the "instrumental" versions that though different from the original (ie solo guitar/piano, acoustic, strings, etc.), she may find it fits her vision better.

ie they may *think* they know what they want, but when you empower them with the options, you become the hero by letting her hone it down herself.

Plus it gets you off the hook for having to select from a myriad of versions which may or may not "sound like" what she had in mind.

I think all of the above is good advice. Would just like to add that if you go with a karaoke version, you would be best served in quality by using Chartbuster's version ( on disc# CB60045 and others) or the much more difficult to find Top Tunes version ( Disc# TU-220). Both exceed any other version that I've heard.

Back