What's new

Kind of excited-exchange student

focadima

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Our family is hosting an exchange student from Argentina for 2 weeks. He arrives next Sunday. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have always told my kids no when they asked to host because my house is not as high end/nice neighborhood as most families who host through our school but in a weak moment I said yes--so now will he think I am wacko with my stockpile ( okay I guess I am thankful that the deals are not as bountiful as they used to be-the stockpile would be out of control--lol) or my cookie cutter "collection--I need to straighten it all up so it doesn't look obsessive--LOL

anyway t-minus 6 days to get things in order!

That's awesome! I would love to do that some day. Let us know how it goes!

Argentina had a horrible financial collapse in 2001 and it took years to recover from that. Their economy still is not superior. I doubt he will think your stockpile is odd in the least. Probably that you are "rich" for being able to afford multiples of items or "very smart" for planning ahead in case of shortages.

Don't worry about it! Enjoy the experience!

Prediction-We're going to get some awesome deal and she's gonna drag him along to use the extra body for more transactions. :lol:

good luck and have fun! My son Mike is thinking of going to Paris in spring as an exchange student. Remember him?

That's SO exciting! Maybe he'll want to learn a new trade while he's at your house :giggles: and open his own bakery when he goes back :lol:

Once you bake some awesome cookies he will LOVE your cookie cutter collection! Enjoy...that sounds like fun!

Enjoy the fortnight!

Wonder if he'll go home thinking all Americans are awesome cookie bakers? :giggles:

LOL JUST realized my life is JUST that crazy--he comes a week from Sunday--duh no wonder why my dd kept thinking I was so crazy about cleaning already--none the less plans are to clean this weekend so we will!

I have seen his facebook pics ( ds found him on FB this weekend and they are now "friends" ) his home looks nice--and his mom has an Accenture email address so I am thinking she has a good job.

it is what it is-- :) thank goodness when I emailed his mom I didnt say I cant wait to see him in 6 days--LOL--she would have thought I was nuts for sure

How exciting! That's something I've always wanted to do, maybe one day it will happen.

I have a friend who has asked me for the past 3 years to take a french student in for a month in the summer--I say no because again, the families doing it all are in a more affluent area--I am excited for this student since so much is school based--not much down time, His mother just responded to me via email I am very excited now!

In high school my mom never wanted to take the exchange students since we were the poor ones at my school. I finally convinced her when one of the usual families could only take one of the kids for part of the time.

He stayed with us sleeping on a cot in the living room and had a great time and then went to the other family. After two nights he was back with us for the rest of his stay. He liked that we were a 'real' family. My mom was thrilled and allowed me to have another exchange student the next year.

Of course that student's stay was the one that I'm sure everyone was talking about. I'll tease you with that and add more later.

well thank you so much for that bit of assurance--LOL
I hope he will enjoy his stay--his mom told me that he loves soccer and tennis and also likes american baseball which he doesnt get to watch much--(ugh so I guess we have to watch the world series--we are NOT baseball peeps!)

In high school my mom never wanted to take the exchange students since we were the poor ones at my school. I finally convinced her when one of the usual families could only take one of the kids for part of the time.

He stayed with us sleeping on a cot in the living room and had a great time and then went to the other family. After two nights he was back with us for the rest of his stay. He liked that we were a 'real' family. My mom was thrilled and allowed me to have another exchange student the next year.

Of course that student's stay was the one that I'm sure everyone was talking about. I'll tease you with that and add more later.

Um it's later now...... please share the rest of your story

well thank you so much for that bit of assurance--LOL
I hope he will enjoy his stay--his mom told me that he loves soccer and tennis and also likes american baseball which he doesnt get to watch much--(ugh so I guess we have to watch the world series--we are NOT baseball peeps!)

send him here! :hiphip: we watch every game. OH and as long as he's here he can help pack and move to the new house :giggles:

I think it's awesome that you're doing this. I don't think he will care what kind of neighborhood you live in; he will be grateful for your hospitality.

Prediction-We're going to get some awesome deal and she's gonna drag him along to use the extra body for more transactions. :lol:

That would be fun for the kid's photo album.

"This is called a grocery store. It's like our market place. However, they can only buy three things at one time and they pay with paper cut out of the newspaper."

Back