What's new

Kind Words About SC- From Joe Chartreuse?!?!?!?

JoeChartreuse

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Just to ease some tension, I figured I'd list some of what I found to be absolutely terrific discs from Sound Choice- and so far irreplaceable:

SC2269 - Journey

SC2358 - Cyndi Lauper ( Particularly True Colors)

SC8119 - Duets ( One of the best duet discs out there, both music and graphics. I mostly only use the first 3 tracks, but they alone make the disc worthwhile)

SC8108 - Oldies ( While SC is not normally my first choice for this genre, this disc was VERY well done, and contains almost all "keepers")

Something else: I don't carry all the discs that I own or include them all in my library. I have a box at home with about 300 discs that I haven't had a need to add so far. Buys that I thought would be popular, but no one has requested, bulk deals, etc.... The "maybe it's in there" box was started years ago, and I sometimes find that I have stuff that has gained popularity and I add it to the library.

Anyway, I was rummaging through and pulled out an SC disc that was never even opened. I should mention that most of the SC that I own are Star or Power Picks series. These are usually less expensive, and usually have the songs that I need.

So I opened it up and that lyric sheet that used to come with many discs back in the day fell out. I miss those things. Just a nice bit of nostalgia...

Just thought I'd throw this post in for balance....:winkpill:

I have some favorites, also. Was disappointed when the boyfriend drove off with his personal disc collection still on the roof of his car and my Custom that included "Smooth" was in there. Couldn't replace it on disc or custom anymore so I kept buying different versions but none of them had it "right." I was more of a dancer than a singer then and I wanted to hear those drums in the right place. Finally, a Performer's Choice Disc that had it came up for sale at Doller Store Junkie and it has been done by a fellow every Friday at our show, since. Last night we added the Autotune thing to his voice to surprise him and the crowd went wild.

Just bought a Cyndi Lauper one at karaoke.com. Also Joan Jett and it is so much better than the SGB versions we had been using. Would love to get the Journey one.

I like the lyrics sheets, too, although really the only use is it makes it easier when choosing the songs to put in the Kid Show Books because you can just scan the whole disc for bad ones in one spot instead of looking up each song on the internet. I know SC puts an asterisk on the songs with bad language but we can't have drugs, drunkeness, sex or violence songs either. They wouldn't even allow "Highway to Hell."

I will PM you what I just stuck in the "other" forum so as not to hijack Joe. We have just had an Antares AV1 for a few days and the boyfriend thinks it will take him a month to learn to use it correctly but we can easily do the "Telephone" voice for things like "Smooth." What I can tell you will only be experience listening to it and singing with it and not technical stuff at this point but I will cut and paste what we have experienced so far.

:dancing_pill::dancing_pill:possumdog how about starting a new thread about your new toy:biggrinpill:

Joe hurray I love hearing you say something good about SC.

Give me a J...give me an O....giveme a E....GO JOE:dancing_pill::dancing_pill::dancing_pill:

I would but I don't really know anything about it yet. Other than I sang on it and we distorted a few people for fun. We need more time to figure it out.

Interesting.... Joe has not (nor has any of the other "non-cheerleaders") EVER said anything unkind about SC's product that I'm aware of... As as matter of fact, I do believe the general consensus has always that they have a good product.

Interesting, because (although I won't even bother copying and pasting them) several have said that Sound Choice was no better nor any worse than any other brand, some even went so far as to compare them to SGBs, a few even stated flat out that MM was superior to SC on "oldies" Chartbuster on "country" DK on "everything" and Zoom "over all".

I happen to agree that gems can be found in many of the different brands and even singable versions of a few songs can be found on SGB, I also think that Chartbuster does an excellent job with country and they also offer a lot more of it than SC, But as I sit here studio and listen to the Willie Nelson version of "Help Me Make It Through The Night" on SC 8401 I can't help but wonder who the musicians were that laid down that track because it is a perfect rendition of Willie's album version of that song.

Interesting, because (although I won't even bother copying and pasting them) several have said that Sound Choice was no better nor any worse than any other brand, some even went so far as to compare them to SGBs, a few even stated flat out that MM was superior to SC on "oldies" Chartbuster on "country" DK on "everything" and Zoom "over all".

I happen to agree that gems can be found in many of the different brands and even singable versions of a few songs can be found on SGB, I also think that Chartbuster does an excellent job with country and they also offer a lot more of it than SC, But as I sit here studio and listen to the Willie Nelson version of "Help Me Make It Through The Night" on SC 8401 I can't help but wonder who the musicians were that laid down that track because it is a perfect rendition of Willie's album version of that song.

Yup, that WN track is another winner. Also, as stated above in your post I have other general preferences for different genres. SGB does a hell of a job with "We Belong" and " Son Of A Preacher Man", and even the Backstage/Ovation "frisbee" factory did a great job with Neil Diamond, and passable work with The Eagles and The Doors.

I just wanted to throw some kudos to SC in this thread...:winkpill:

Yup, that WN track is another winner. Also, as stated above in your post I have other general preferences for different genres. SGB does a hell of a job with "We Belong" and " Son Of A Preacher Man", and even the Backstage/Ovation "frisbee" factory did a great job with Neil Diamond, and passable work with The Eagles and The Doors.

I'm not a big SGB fan, but their version of Barracuda is the best, hands down.

Funny but I was just listening to someone sing to an SC version of a Willie Nelson song last Sat and the guitar was playing and I thought, "And people say SC isn't as good with country?" Also like their "Pancho and Lefty."

I do tend to default to CB when filling country requests--but I don't automatically replace any SCs I already have with them.

I'm not a big SGB fan, but their version of Barracuda is the best, hands down.

Thanks for that. I'm going to to a little comparison of all versions of Barracuda. My lady does that song. I'm sure she's done the SGB version most of the time.

Kind word about SC Birdofsong?

I listened to SC, SGB, SF and AH and the orginal. SF actually has ALL of the notes in the intro. The production sounds richer and the lead guitarist has the whammy bar and the phaser just right. IMO SF has the best version, with AH sounding pretty well produced with the right guitar effects. SGB does beat SC on this one because SC didn't produce the song with any of the effects that Heart is famous for using on their music.

I will say that after listening to all versions that I have of Magic Man, SC seems to have the most consistency in their production.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for that. I'm going to to a little comparison of all versions of Barracuda. My lady does that song. I'm sure she's done the SGB version most of the time.

Kind word about SC Birdofsong?

I listened to SC, SGB, SF and AH and the orginal. SF actually has ALL of the notes in the intro. The production sounds richer and the lead guitarist has the whammy bar and the phaser just right. IMO SF has the best version, with AH sounding pretty well produced with the right guitar effects. SGB does beat SC on this one because SC didn't produce the song with any of the effects that Heart is famous for using on their music.

I will say that after listening to all versions that I have of Magic Man, SC seems to have the most consistency in their production.

Have a nice day.

Actually, Pioneer's Magic Man is the best IMHO. I'm a big Heart fan, and sing them pretty well, if I do say so myself. I really like SC's version of Straight On.

A kind word about SC...sure. When I was using them, I enjoyed the accuracy and musicianship of most of their tracks. They have consistently put out good music. No dispute there.

Right on.

I don't have the Pioneer version of Magic Man to compare.

Thanks and take care.

Doesn't the pio ver of M.Man cut the guitar solo short? I hate that. Some don't.

Doesn't the pio ver of M.Man cut the guitar solo short? I hate that. Some don't.
Unfortunately yes. But some people like that where they don't stand on stage doing nothing for 46 measures or more.

Right. What are they supposed to do? Tap Dance?
We have the props for that part. We have one guy that does Pink Floyd - Money (approx 100 measure break), he'll bring up a chair, pulls out a pipe and glasses and a newspaper to the stage and sits down to commence to read - playing of course. It's rather comical actually the way he pulls it off. Most just play with the props, air guitar, do some kind of fun dance or a little bit of all.
I am one of those singers that prefer full versions as well.

Back