What's new

Kraft Mac N Cheese

interesting how people who grew up around plastic and all these killer chemicals aren't dead yet....

heaven forbid their kids would get anywhere near something as toxic as say, dirt...

I was at Butera where the Kraft Mac N Cheese is on sale. I passed it up too but only because I was in a rush. I mean we don't eat it all the time or every day so I don't see the harm in every once in a while. I think if we knew exactly what everything in our food was none of us would eat anything.

I worked at Kraft for 17 years, was a cook in spray dry (the department that makes the mac & cheese dry powder) there are only 2 plants in the world that make this, for Kraft Wausau being one the other is Springfield Missouri, ummmm way back when I started in 1983 they used these same colors, yes we also made non colored powder for years. But kraft tried many times to sell the non colored in the USA (remeber the white cheddar) no one bought it. This is the same colors that are used in your beloved orange chees. All cheese is white, it comes form milk sooooooo if you are afraid to eat mac and cheese because of the color that is used I would check off all cheese and most of the food that you eat on a regular basis.

If you watched the video they were able to add the "cheddar" color naturally without using dyes

I saw that and what did they use to cover the taste of the natural dyes? I know some use beets juice and extracts and then they have to add a flavor to cover the beet taste. My point was that Kraft did try to market uncolored cheese in the past and that this color thing is not a new item, it has been around for years and years and every so often someone will say it is bad and then make it a spotlight for a little bit.

Yeah, I see your point but I'm not for extra dye in the food just because its been around forever. I think companies can change and do it naturally. The more unprocessed the better. :) Of course, I still microwave plastic dishes so I could die at anytime :cartwheel:

Yeah, I see your point but I'm not for extra dye in the food just because its been around forever. I think companies can change and do it naturally. The more unprocessed the better. :) Of course, I still microwave plastic dishes so I could die at anytime :cartwheel:
add me to that list. LOL

I try to be really aware of how much processed food I eat (but waaaayyy more so what I give the kids lol). There is NO way I'm close to 100 per cent but every time I cook from scratch instead of something like Kraft mac'n cheese or whatever I feel like I'm helping a little. The more I do the "whole foods" movement lately the more I want to though. Once you start paying attention to what's in the box it's hard not too!!

add a few saffron strands/threads, and you'll get that "lovely" orange-ish color....naturally.

..just sayin'

We've gone a lot more natural, too. **** we Americans buy is disgusting!!

saffron has a STRONG taste....may scare most American children from their mac n cheese, lol.

You can BUY a colorant...but I suppose that is defeatng the purpose.

We have yellow colorant in my spice cabinet we use regulary...cause dh needs it. I am filing that under "don't need to know"

:shesaid:

add me to that list. LOL
:shesaid:

Well I grew up eating that LOVELY orange colored mac n' cheese 'cause that's the ONLY brand mom would buy! But, I have to say that I can understand people's concerns about food safety as well. Another interesting thing to mention was that when I bought mac n' cheese at meijer last wk. they had a white cheddar variety...I bought it and my 8 yr. old DD LOVES it! She could care less what color her mac n' cheese is. :)

Back