What's new

Let the Games Begin

Prox

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
The 2002 MLB season is underway. Is anyone else out there excited. I really enjoy sitting and watching baseball and im really looking forward to this season. I am actually going to Pac Bell Park on saturday to watch the second game of the season there (my birthday present from my girlfriend . . . she knows what I like :) ) So let the season begin and GO GIANTS!!!

Originally posted by SwissSmiss
the indians!!!

clevelanders never give up hope! :lol2:

good for you smiss . . . Never give up on your team

I've got to go with Arizona as long as they don't suffer too many injuries, 'cause they are pretty old. You can't argue with having 2 of the best pitchers in the league on one team. I'd love to see the Red Sox win it while I live in Boston, but their pitching is suspect to say the least. You can't have too many victory parades in one year!

I'll just be happy if the Yankees don't make it, or at the very least lose the series.

I tend to root for the Boston, Toronto, and Cleveland as I live in Boston and grew up near Cleveland and Toronto (as a kid they were my home teams).

I was actually supprised when I was looking at espn and their predictions. Many of the people had the Giants winning the west, which sounds good to me. If you want to check out all their predictions you can do sohere

as for the Yankees, I hate them, I hate them, I hate them . . . nuff said

I'm going to the 2nd Sox game tomorrow night, which should be cool. I guess the new owners have added 50 seats, food stands and a few other niceties.

I was at Pac Bell park last June. It's pretty darned nice. It was weird being in the 1st row of the upper deck and being farther from the field than any seat in Fenway Park. Of Course it only holds around 34,000.

One of the ideas for a new park out here is to build one downtown on the waterfront in a similar style as Pac Bell. That would be cool, but I still think modernizing Fenway would be a good way to go if it's possible.

I gotta put in my votes for the Mets.
With the exception of an extremely poor first half of the season, they finished strong enough to pull themselves into playoff contention, and they had one of the best offseasons in the majors in terms of trades and acquisitions.

Among their new personnel:
Mo Vaughan
Roberto Alomar
Roger Cedeno
Jeromy Burnitz
John Valentin

Plus, their pitching rotation is fairly respectable, with:
Leiter
Astacio
Estes
D'Amico
Trachsel

Their bullpen is stronger than it was last year, now boasting Chen, Guthrie, and Weathers, in addition to the NL's best closer in Benitez.

You don't get a much better infield than Vaughan, Alomar, Ordonez, and Alphonzo. Piazza behind the plate is without comparison in the majors in terms of offense. Their sole weak spot is centerfield, and Jay Payton is turning into a respectable hitter.

Leiter is a given that he's going to win 15+ games. Depending on how the other 4 pitch, this could be a team that could make a run in the playoffs if the wildcards on the team (Vaughan, Astacio, etc.) can stay healthy.

Originally posted by Prox

good for you smiss . . . Never give up on your team

yes, if i were going to give up at all, i would have in the 80's before they started doing well.

Since I've lived in the South most of my life, I'm partial to the Braves. So it's a good thing if they can get into the playoffs or even the series.

Yankees are EVIL!

Yes the Yankees are pretty evil, but the Braves are right up there with them. Next to Ted Turner, Steinbrenner is almost likeable.

I think there is something wrong when the owner of the team is as recognisable as the team its self, unless they are like the guy who owns the 76ers, who is just having fun with everything and so he is put in the spotlight for being different then the rest of the owners.

Back