What's new

Lets rate all the Sports Movies?

I forgot to say anything about Major League. I'd give that one a 9, it was very funny. ML number 2, not to much. Also the The Rookie. Great movie, give it an 8.

How about Talledaga Nights? What would you rate that movie?

I never saw Talledaga Nights movie. I did here that the movie was good. I have to rent that movie sometime, so I could actually see it for myself.

I actaully really like Remember the Titans. I also really liked The Blind Side. I appreciate that it was based on a true story and was told well.

By far my favorite 'sports movie', if you can really call it that, is Caddyshack. A true classic in every sense of the word. It gets better and better every time you watch it.

Does Happy Gilmore count... cause that is at least an 8!

You left out some great gold movies! While I absolutely love Tin Cup (8) I would have to say that the Legend of Bagger Vance is way better. That movie is a ten and really gets down to the heart of golf. Plus Will Smith and Matt Damon are pretty good. This is always a dabate with poker, but what about Rounders? I have watched this movie countless times, and I think it could be put in this catagory.

Come to think of it I just realized that Adam Sandler has a lot of movies related to sports right. Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, The Longest Yard, what else? Did I miss something? Oh yeah Cinderella man was a good movie played by Russel Crowe.

I don't think Happy counts as a sports movie. But it was a funny movie. That Bob Barker scene was classic.

Caddyshack a sports movie? I think not.

You left out some great gold movies! While I absolutely love Tin Cup (8) I would have to say that the Legend of Bagger Vance is way better. That movie is a ten and really gets down to the heart of golf. Plus Will Smith and Matt Damon are pretty good. This is always a dabate with poker, but what about Rounders? I have watched this movie countless times, and I think it could be put in this catagory.

I forgott about Bagger Vance. Thanks for reminding me. I'll bet a lot of people haven't even seen Bagger Vance.

Take it from ChicagoBears, he's right, its a good movie.

Come to think of it I just realized that Adam Sandler has a lot of movies related to sports right. Waterboy, Happy Gilmore, The Longest Yard, what else? Did I miss something? Oh yeah Cinderella man was a good movie played by Russel Crowe.

Brilliant movies there, i never even realized how many Adam Sandler movies were loosely based on sports.

Sports movies are not my favorite genre, but I do have a few that I like. At least one, though, is not a sports movie per se, but it does feature a real Super Bowl game (with actual footage shot at the old Orange Bowl in Miami) as part of its backdrop.

1. Rocky The original 1976 movie is the best of the lot and only really needed one sequel; the other Rocky movies seem to me to be superfluous.

2. The Bad News Bears This 1976 comedy about a boozy coach who leads a Little League team from being zeroes to becoming heroes is funny, entertaining and never gets boring.

3. Black Sunday Another movie from the 1970s, Black Sunday is more of a suspense-thriller than it is a sports movie. Based on a pre-Hannibal Lecter novel (which was, in turn, based on the tragic events of the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich), Black Sunday pits an Israeli commando team leader against a mentally unstable Vietnam War vet and a Black September operative who plan to attack the Super Bowl in Miami.

I never saw Talledaga Nights movie. I did here that the movie was good. I have to rent that movie sometime, so I could actually see it for myself.

Talledaga Nights was humorous, but not a must-see. I am a Will Ferrel fan, which is why I saw the movie, but the story line is kind of a joke. My rating- 4.

I would have to give Remember the Titans a solid 10. That movie was truly phenomenal and included an excellent message right in it. I recommend it to all.

Bull Durham is hands down the best baseball movie out there. It is a classic. Kevin Costner also did an amazing job in Field of Dreams too

Pride of the Yankees
Bang the Drum Slowly
Eight Men Out
Bad News Bears (the original)
Raging Bull

List sports movies you've seen and give them a rating 1 to 10 along with your comments on the movie.

Here's my list:

10 Rocky: I'm not just giving this a ten because it was about me. I thought this was a great movie.

10 Rudy: A movie about an overachiever. Rudy was small dude with no athleticism who managed to barely make the cut all four years at Notre Dame. This was back when Notre Dame "owned football". Excellent movie!

10 Cinderella Man: Another movie about boxing. This one is based on a true story and it is a very well made movie. Stars Russell Crowe, Renee Zellweger and Paul Giamatti.
ps I could have kicked his ****.

10 Hoosiers: Have you ever seen a Gene Hackman movie which was not good?

9 Miracle on Ice: I would probably give this movie a lower score (7) if it wasn't for the fact that it is based on a true story. Kirt Russell is the star of this movie and it is by far his best performance ever.

9 The Natural: A baseball movie, staring Robert Redford, set back duing the World War 2 era. I almost want to give this movie a 10 but, I am a tough grader.

9 Angels in the Outfield: This is a movie for the whole family; the wife and kids will like it, it's a fun movie.

8 Tin Cup: My favorite Kevin Costner Movie.

8 Bull Durahm: Another Kevin Costner movie.

8 Chariots of fire: This movie almost inspired me to become a runner back when I was a kid. I hate running just for the sake of exercize. Basketball? Yes. Football? Yes. Running track? Hell No. However, this movie made me stop and think long and hard about it. For about 5 seconds.

7 Rocky 2: C'mon you guys, admitt it, you almost shed a little tear when I beat Apollo Creed for the title.
"Yo Adrian, I did it"

7 Jerry Maguire: Another movie with Renee Zellweger (I like her). This movie also has a few comeos of real sports stars (Drew Bledsoe and others)

OK, thats a good start. Perhaps I'll add more later.

Some movies I didn't care for:

Eight Men Out
Remember the Titans
The Fighter

Ok, what say you?

I completely agree with you except i havent seen a couple of them like all number 8's and a couple 9's. I think that i would have to say my favorite would have to be miracle on ice. Just thought that was a really great inspirational movie.

Most movies emulate those that you have listed. There are some great sports movies, but most of them follow the same tired formula.

By far my favorite 'sports movie', if you can really call it that, is Caddyshack. A true classic in every sense of the word. It gets better and better every time you watch it.

Back