What's new

Mastitis

Thanks everyone - will call the doc in the am.

Call your ob (or whichever ob is on call tonight) - now, tell them what's going on and see if they'll call in an antibiotic for you to pick up tonight and then see them first thing in the morning. Don't wait, call now. Find out what pharmacy around you is open 24 hours on a Sunday night and call now!

I think it is really early - redness just started (or I just noticed) late yesterday. So I should be safe for another 12 hours.

She's by herself with two babes..............not thinkin' she'll be able to go out tonight.

That would be 100 percent correct. Now if one of the babies needed a Rx, be out in a heartbeat (or calling one of my nightowl friends).

Just wanted to peep in and say women have been self-treating mastitis for thousands of years without antibiotics, so if you do not want an antibiotic, there are steps you can take.

Just FYI. Best of luck getting some relief :hug:

I'll see what the doc says - I'd prefer to treat it without, but with my luck I would be the edge case that should have had it and ends up in the hospital because I didn't take it.

Nothing wrong with antibiotics (my big kid is on a course of them right now), I couldn't tell which way you were leaning :lol:

Well I was hoping everyone would say treat it at home, but I'm only so much of a glutton for punishment. I'm not quite as bad as some others (cough [names obfuscated] cough) about going to the doctor, but I'm pretty close. Now if this were a toothache - I could tough it out for years.

Well I was hoping everyone would say treat it at home, but I'm only so much of a glutton for punishment. I'm not quite as bad as some others (cough [names obfuscated] cough) about going to the doctor, but I'm pretty close. Now if this were a toothache - I could tough it out for years.

It's not about how much pain you can handle..............it's about how well you feel in order to care for your babes.

It's not about how much pain you can handle..............it's about how well you feel in order to care for your babes.

You hit the nail on the head. Have to do everything I can to stay as healthy as possible.

You hit the nail on the head. Have to do everything I can to stay as healthy as possible.

Woman I am totally free................if you need someone to help you I can be there................it would be a lil while but I can be there). Just sayin'..............you're not alone. :)

I've had so many plugged ducts... never mastitis, though.

What made it go away: I would soak the affected breast in very warm water for 10-15 min (yes, propped myself up on pillows over a bowl), then nurse immediately afterwards. I tried to nurse that side as often as the baby was interested, even if that meant several times an hour. Also, hot moist rags on the tender area when I couldn't do the bowl thing but they get cold fast = a pain to keep hot. Massaging the spot down to the nipple, expressing milk if I could. I was pretty aggressive about doing these things and symptoms would start to resolve within 24 hours.

I think you could try treating yourself at home, but if you start any fever or see red streaks spreading out (not just a reddened spot), get to the doctor ASAP.

Edit: My MW's and La Leche League friends always said moist heat helps much more than dry heat.

Just wanted to peep in and say women have been self-treating mastitis for thousands of years without antibiotics, so if you do not want an antibiotic, there are steps you can take.

Just FYI. Best of luck getting some relief :hug:

I hope you heard from your doc, but I wouldn't immediately rush to abx if you can clear the plug without, using suggestions others have posted. Abx are safe for nursing but may make your LOs digestive tract irritated, and can potentially cause thrush. If you do end up on them, encourage you to use a probiotic for you + baby. And make sure to take the full course prescribed to clear everything out.

I am 6w pp and dealt with 2 bouts of clogs about 3-4 weeks ago. I cleared it using moist heat and cabbage. However, I was on a zpack last week for a sinus infection and it made my guy really irritated. Wish I had tried probiotics at least.

Feel better!

My doctor confirmed but they aren't 100 percent sure how to treat. I'll mangle this part a bit, but you'll get the idea.

Penicillin is the treatment of choice - I'm allergic so that's out.
Keflex is the 2nd best choice, but shares some DNA with penicillin. I have an Rx for that, but have to have 50mg of benadryl on hand just in case and a phone ready to call 911 for the worst case scenario. I'm going to get this filled, but I'll take the first dose while at the pharmacy just in case. If I have a reaction I know that it will be immediate, but statistically I should be OK.

She said the other antibiotics don't have a plus/minus that shows that they are effective in treating so it may just be a wait and see if I am also allergic to Keflex as they don't really bother prescribing the others.

So I may be going the natural treatment route after all.

ETA - they couldn't find the plug or at least it wasn't obvious, so likely I cleared it, but not quickly enough. So it is just the infection I'm dealing with.

Woman I am totally free................if you need someone to help you I can be there................it would be a lil while but I can be there). Just sayin'..............you're not alone. :)

Me too. I am not to far from you.

My doctor confirmed but they aren't 100 percent sure how to treat. I'll mangle this part a bit, but you'll get the idea.

Penicillin is the treatment of choice - I'm allergic so that's out.
Keflex is the 2nd best choice, but shares some DNA with penicillin. I have an Rx for that, but have to have 50mg of benadryl on hand just in case and a phone ready to call 911 for the worst case scenario. I'm going to get this filled, but I'll take the first dose while at the pharmacy just in case. If I have a reaction I know that it will be immediate, but statistically I should be OK.

She said the other antibiotics don't have a plus/minus that shows that they are effective in treating so it may just be a wait and see if I am also allergic to Keflex as they don't really bother prescribing the others.

So I may be going the natural treatment route after all.

ETA - they couldn't find the plug or at least it wasn't obvious, so likely I cleared it, but not quickly enough. So it is just the infection I'm dealing with.

So what happened at the pharmacy? Allergies to antibiotics are so scary!

Haven't picked it up yet. Figured would be best to do during the day so the boys are already taken care of. That way, worst come to worst, I can have a trip to the ER, get patched up and them make some calls for someone to take the boys.

If I did it after work I'd be in the ER telling them to "give me a moment, yes I know I'm having trouble breathing but I need to find a babysitter."

How are you feeling? Still flu-ish, fever, painful breast?

Status quo - I have the Rx, but I'm wavering on getting it. I know the chances of having an allergic reaction are small and the chances of getting really sick if I don't take it are higher, but at the moment I'm not getting sicker so I'm playing those odds.

Status quo - I have the Rx, but I'm wavering on getting it. I know the chances of having an allergic reaction are small and the chances of getting really sick if I don't take it are higher, but at the moment I'm not getting sicker so I'm playing those odds.

:slap:

Back