What's new

Meeting with Attroney

confused

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I am meeting with a divorce attroney and have no idea what to expect! Is there questions I need to ask at my first appointment? She came highly recommended by 8 different people - including her exhusband so I feel confident.

Is there any forms or information I will need at that first visit? What should I expect? Yes there is children and property involved. I know her hourly rate and her retainer but do they normally charge for "extras"? Has anyone been through this that might be willing to give me an idea on what to expect? Honestly only know 1 friend that went through this and it was fast with no kids no property and no dispute.

Before you think I am here just spamming CW. Promise I am not. Tazzy gave me permission to set up a 2nd account to ask these questions in case someone is watching. I do hope you all understand why I did this. Before you ask - no he does not know I am going.

I know her hourly rate and her retainer but do they normally charge for "extras"?

I have never used a divorce atty, but I did just go through a child support case and I can answer this, but saying EVERYTHING they do for you they charge for. So don't think the hourly rate is for big things. When I call my atty to ask what time is court because the court house called me and told me another time than my paperwork $20 for the phone call (and that is only because I went down to the other atty who charges $200/hour, the original was $400/hour) They also charge for mileage, and the time to get to anything, they can charge for meals if you require them to be away for an extended period. And you will have to pay posstage for them to send you, the ex and the ex's atty all paperwork. The state/county, etc will send you paperwork, but the atty will then also write a cover letter to say she is sending you the same paperwork and charge for the typing of the letter, the postage and copies of the letter to you, and everyone else.

Just be prepared. Do you have to give her a consultation fee?

1st, Tazz is awesome!

2nd, You know that I of all people would not advocate divorce and say fight with all you have to restore your marriage.

3rd, Only you know what has gone on in your marriage and only you can be the one to discern whether or not the marriage can be restored... So, I for one will not question your judgement! That is between you, your family, and God. And He is with you sweetie!

4th, I have NO clue about what to expect in this arena.... BUT I did want to come in here and tell you that you are not alone. We are here for you.

AnimatedGIF-GroupHugReallyCute.gif

I have never used a divorce atty, but I did just go through a child support case and I can answer this, but saying EVERYTHING they do for you they charge for. So don't think the hourly rate is for big things. When I call my atty to ask what time is court because the court house called me and told me another time than my paperwork $20 for the phone call (and that is only because I went down to the other atty who charges $200/hour, the original was $400/hour) They also charge for mileage, and the time to get to anything, they can charge for meals if you require them to be away for an extended period. And you will have to pay posstage for them to send you, the ex and the ex's atty all paperwork. The state/county, etc will send you paperwork, but the atty will then also write a cover letter to say she is sending you the same paperwork and charge for the typing of the letter, the postage and copies of the letter to you, and everyone else.

Just be prepared. Do you have to give her a consultation fee?

:shesaid:

My aunt went through a messy divorce that involved children and property. It took a long time, and a whole lot of money - he was finding one reason after another to delay it, or delay things he was suppose to do hoping she would run out of money. She called me often during the process, all I remember about some of those phone calls was her telling me that she had to go to court again, and I would swear each time she went to court it was around another $10k.

First of all hug to you. I know divorce isn't easy!

Yes, the attorney will charge for everything BUT usually their office staff is a bit more relaxed with answering simple questions so you might want to try that first for simple stuff.

Best of luck to you and your family!

confused set up your PM's. ;)

When I divorced, in wisconsin, I did it very similarly to you. He never knew what was coming. The day he was served divorce papers, I moved out after he left for work. I know how you feel! Long deep breath and try to find a positive thought. :huggy:

Can this person set up her pm's without having enough posts? Might just wanna randomly post so you can.... not certain how that works.

I just made a few post to see if that allows me to set up pms sorry never thought about that

When I divorced, in wisconsin, I did it very similarly to you. He never knew what was coming. The day he was served divorce papers, I moved out after he left for work. I know how you feel! Long deep breath and try to find a positive thought. :huggy:

Thanks. It has been a long and very rough road to get to this point. I am not one to give up but when things don't change for the better and you see no light at the end it just gets to much.

:hug:

Divorce is never easy...buy sometimes necessary. Keep your head up even when if it gets tough. It will eventually be done and over with.

I just made a few post to see if that allows me to set up pms sorry never thought about that

There is something that you have to click to activate the pms

Thank you for the link above. I am looking through it now. Still working on getting PM's set up but have not found the spot to do that yet.

I don't know if he will fight it or not - would have to guess yes. I already know I will loose everything by doing this (as in selling it all). But for my and the kids sake have to. Things are out of control and just getting worse!

When is/was your meeting? Did you find it helpful? Praying for you. :grouphug:

attorney :keeper:

Back