What's new

Mom power

ennui

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
Beautiful video, eloquent & powerful.

I'm glad Cains [huge regional pickle giant] is doing the right thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmiGQJlpGW0

New England mom's actions change a food label
Posted by Kristi Palma February 25, 2013 10:37 AM

Chelley Martinka, 28, of Cranston R.I., went grocery shopping with her husband and daughter one day in December. When she reached for a pickle jar, what she saw offended her. The Cains label in front of her read "Kosher Dill Midgets." The Martinkas have a 10-month-old daughter named Adelaide who has Achondroplasia, a type of dwarfism. She went home, created the above video, shared it on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and her blog, as well as with the company. The result? The president of Gedney Foods, the Minnesota company that owns the Cains brand, called her personally to tell her the label would be changed. We reached out to the company for a statement and it did not provide one, but it told the Providence Journal in an email that it is "simply doing the right thing." Martinka talked with Boston.com Moms about the experience...

http://boston.com/community/moms/blogs/parent_buzz/2013/02/_chelley_martinka_28_of.html

Oh geez. :rolleyes:

So can they call them "Kosher Dill Dwarves"? :9:

(no I didn't click on any of the links)

So can they call them "Kosher Dill Dwarves"? :9:

(no I didn't click on any of the links)

or Kosher Dill Little Pickles :giggles:

:hides:

IMO this would be a good time to teach her child how to roll with life. If you go through life looking for a fight, you're always going to find one. Her kid prolly would never have noticed or cared about it until the mom put a spot light on it.

WE'RE TALKING PICKLES PEOPLE!!! :jack:

IMO this would be a good time to teach her child how to roll with life. If you go through life looking for a fight, you're always going to find one. Her kid prolly would never have noticed or cared about it until the mom put a spot light on it.

WE'RE TALKING PICKLES PEOPLE!!! :jack:

The kid is only 10 months old. I'm guessing she didn't notice even if mom pointed it out. :giggles:

The kid is only 10 months old. I'm guessing she didn't notice even if mom pointed it out. :giggles:

Yeah I know, but if she raises her kid to be all "poor me, they're picking on me, etc." she's only hurting her.

I can't believe how incredibly stupid & insensitive the above posts are.

What's next, are you going to make jokes about folks born with Down's Syndrome?

I can't believe how incredibly stupid & insensitive the above posts are.

What's next, are you going to make jokes about folks born with Down's Syndrome?

Maybe the laundry soap Downy should change their name. :9:

Relax ennui...............my point is, it's just pickles.

:snort: omg Rebecca! Lol

Insensitive? They're pickles! It's not like the sign said anything about disproportionate hands....er, seeds.

Sorry, Ennui....I think the mom was ULTRA sensitive and her crusade is muchado about nothing (I clicked no links)

I have PURCHASED dill pickle midgets...and never once in 43 years of life did I think even BRIEFLY of humans of any stature.

I cant find hstory online of how many years the company has had that name on those pickles....curious how many years it took for someone to think of it as something to complain about.

They did acquire the pickle company in 1955.

I think we as a people are going tooo far in what we are sensitive about and how far we expect society to accomodate us individually.

My DD2 LOVES midget pickles... sweet midgets to be exact. There are several offensive brands. :lol:

I thought that was what the tiny pickles were called.

NEVER EVER EVER associated the pickle name with people.

The next shopping trip I take is going to be a doozy!!! MOON pies?!!? So, now they are mooning me?

rude!

I cant find hstory online of how many years the company has had that name on those pickles....curious how many years it took for someone to think of it as something to complain about.

They did acquire the pickle company in 1955.

I think we as a people are going tooo far in what we are sensitive about and how far we expect society to accomodate us individually.

This exactly. It's gone so far now it's just silly.

WAIT A MINUTE?!?!?!

LOW FAT is better?????

I am appalled. So, I guess that means my high fat behind isn't GOOD enough?!?!?!

Let's talk nuts.

I take offense to that name. My uncle is nuts. I think it's insulting.

OK, do you guys KNOW what nuggets are? Cause my son laughs his BUTT off over chicken nuggets....

chickens don't even HAVE nuggets.

for those without 14 yo boy in the house....it is slang for nuts. And no, not the kind that Joan is referncing.

Back