What's new

My kid's going to college and.......

artlyn

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Let's start a thread for best college finds to make the dorm room more organized. I need ideas and where to find things for the best price.

My daughter is going to the University of Kentucky and will have a suite style room with a shared bathroom. We have to buy all the cleaning supplies and toilet paper. She will have a 34 inch wardrobe w/ 2 drawers below, a dresser w/ 3 drawers, a XL twin bed, and a desk and chair. We want to get a 2-tiered book shelf that we saw at bed, bath and beyond. It stands above the head of the bed. Has anyone used these? Should I get one?

When it gets closer to the start of college time all the stores: kohl's, WM, Target, BB&B all send out flyers with their college stuff. Most of them all sell them same stuff just different brands.

My daughter is going to the University of Kentucky and will have a suite style room with a shared bathroom. We have to buy all the cleaning supplies and toilet paper. She will have a 34 inch wardrobe w/ 2 drawers below, a dresser w/ 3 drawers, a XL twin bed, and a desk and chair. We want to get a 2-tiered book shelf that we saw at bed, bath and beyond. It stands above the head of the bed. Has anyone used these? Should I get one?

I know I picked up sheet sets in September (75% off) at Target last year. $6.xx for queen size, even less for twin.

if youre looking for unique storage ideas i would start checking on pinterest!

My sons school has a sheet/towel service. No cost. He ended up taking a queen flat sheet and wrapping the bed with it because he moves a lot in his sleep and the XL twin sheet kept falling off.

We did bring home alot if items that he never used. We sent 4 towels, he used the same 2. I bought his blankets and bedding at Macys last summer. They were on clearance for 75% off. I bought him a queen blanket because he is tall and like to wrap himself in it. Sent 3 pillows. 2 in shams and one in a pillow case.

Get the bed risers if the bed isn't a loft. Then you can store under the bed too.

This going off to college thing has been on my mind alot lately.

DD will be a junior this year, so I have plenty of time to fret about things. I had a mini-nightmare recently. I dreamed that I was dropping her off for college far far away (seemed like California). While I was there helping her unpack I realized that she would now have to pay full price for things like health and beauty items! I was sobbing in my dream. I guess I couldn't stand the thought of her being away from me plus having to pay full price. :giggles: DD does not like the whole couponing thing and thinks it is embarassing. Of course, she never complains about the benefits she reaps from my stockpile.

Another thing that has been on my mind about college is how do students living in dorms secure their electronics?

When I was in college the only thing of value I had was my mini-fridge, but now kids have their cell phones, laptops, i-pods, etc. Are colleges putting locker type things in dorm rooms, or are students just taking their chances with their roommates being honest? I can't imagine that with the roommate I had that my electronics would not have come up missing.

my girlfriend sends her boys with laptop locks and a smaller dresser/file cabinet that sits in the closet that has a lock

I sent my boys with ummm nothing and they have lost / got stolen ummm nothing

I bought my boys bedding from Walmart--they had the best colors/patterns for my boys--my boys do not "do" plaid and I did not want solids or big funky graphics--very hard to find male bedding-we ordered ours online--the brand they had was soft not rough/cheap feeling

my ds who was a freshman this year asked me if he could toss his sheets instead of bringing them home--I was like WTH no!--bring them home!!

when my boys come home from school they scour the stockpile for health and beauty as well as food- their girlfriends do as well :)--the last time they were home-Easter-before the end of the year I had both DS' one girl friend and one of Ds' friend grabbing at the stockpile food--LOL had to laugh

I just worry I guess. Worry about the safety of everything and worry about paying full price! Not so worried about DD studying and attending class.

My kids have a few friends that attend ISU ( Illinois State--which is where I went YEARS ago.) anyway there is a cvs right in the downtown dorm area!--
If you want to be sure your DD doesnt pay full price start teaching her now!!--I have 2 kids a boy and a girl who like to do deals-2 out of my 4 is not bad--LOL

my son even did some nice MM deals at wags while in Iowa this year

My kids have a few friends that attend ISU ( Illinois State--which is where I went YEARS ago.) anyway there is a cvs right in the downtown dorm area!--
If you want to be sure your DD doesnt pay full price start teaching her now!!--I have 2 kids a boy and a girl who like to do deals-2 out of my 4 is not bad--LOL

my son even did some nice MM deals at wags while in Iowa this year

I would love to teach DD16, however, she thinks it is embarassing. I took my other DD10 last night to help me use up some of the Jewel EE q's that Skincarekathy so generously gave me yesterday. She did pretty good, although having her do 3 back to back transactions right out of the gate might have been a bit much. She enjoyed herself, she understands penny pinching much more than her big sister.

You can always send care packages of goodies including health and beauty stuff.

Big sis will understand the value of a buck once she starts buying for herself.

My college was Pepsi-products only. Our dorm was two blocks from Osco, and my room was across the hall from the pop machine. So I bought cases of Coke products at Osco and kept them cold in my mini-fridge. I sold each can for $.50 at a tidy profit.

My freshman year we bunked the beds for extra floor space, so bed risers were out. We didn't lock up our electronics, but the biggest issue was theft during move-in, when the doors were propped and people didn't all know each other yet.

I would love to teach DD16, however, she thinks it is embarassing. I took my other DD10 last night to help me use up some of the Jewel EE q's that Skincarekathy so generously gave me yesterday. She did pretty good, although having her do 3 back to back transactions right out of the gate might have been a bit much. She enjoyed herself, she understands penny pinching much more than her big sister.

I have a soon to be junior as well with the same attitude about couponing. I just remind her that is more embarrassing to have no food/not be able to pay for it then use a few coupons here & there. I'm not too worried about her actually listening until she is flying solo. When the safety net is gone is when kids actually start hearing what you've been preaching for so many years. :lol:

The safe/lockbox was delivered yesterday! Now alls I need to get is a cable lock to attach it under his bed somehow. It's the perfect size. It will fit a full size laptop and other misc. items. Like important papers, cell phone, wallet, Ipod.

making me wonder if we should install locks on at least one drawer each for the desks we bought them for their apartment. In the dorms they had at least 1 locking drawer.

I spoke with the resident directer and she recommended a safe.

why would she pay full price? I put a storage box together with razors , shampoo, toothpaste deodorant etc for 4 to 6 months and just restock it at xmas break. it goes on the highest shelf in dorn and she can get at it as needed. same thing with a food storage bin. cases of granola/ breakfast bars. noodle soup,candy, snacks etc. Same shelf, she uses that stuff faster , I restock 4-6 cases of water , 2 lt of soda and snacks every visit. She shares everything.

we have friends who really are down on their luck, im putting together extra storage bins with HBA for both of their boys in college. This is when its great to have a stockpile. (pathetic as mine is right now)

Back