What's new

My problem with needing experience to get almost any job!

TiffanyMatth

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Here's something that has bothered me since my first job search; having experience being a consequential aspect of getting a job. Maybe it isn't a big problem where you live, but finding a job in my city without experience is close too impossible.

I handed out close to 50 resumes in a month trying to get myself a part-time job, I did the suggested ask for the manager, smile, and ask when you can expect to hear back from them after giving your r?sum?, but no luck! My brother handed out a few resumes and got an interview from every single place (even ones I had applied to, while he has a criminal record and I don't)!

Everyone I asked about it said the same thing; you need experience. I don't understand how you're expected to have experience without any employer giving you a chance! It wasn't like I was trying to score a job as a manager, I was just trying to get myself a simple cashier or retail associate position.

Does my opinion conflict with yours? If so, why? Also, do you have any advice for those looking for their first jobs?

I have the same issue. I lost my job back in October, and since then I've applied to easily 200 jobs. The few that have contacted me have done so only to say I require experience. Apparently five years in retail isn't considered valid experience for most of the jobs I've been applying for, despite them also being in the retail sector. In fact, the only jobs I've been given a fair shot at are jobs that are upper-level. IT support, carer positions, and an apprenticeship as a science lab technician. Everything else, even basic retail, I've been ignored for. It's really putting a downer on the whole desire to find a job.

I agree getting a job now a days is near enough impossible without experience hell even to do a cleaners job you need experience. I've gotten lucky with the agency I'm with, but that will soon go down the drain since I'm only getting one day week which frankly isn't enough.

It really depends on where you live these days I think. In my city, the only job you can get into without a degree or years of experience is food service. I've had almost 10 separate part time jobs since I was 13. Anywhere from working at the dump (literally) to working in insurance operations at a local bank. Now I'm working part time at my college but it closed May 5th and I'm still trying to get a summer part time job.

I know what you mean though. Employers say they need experience, but if nobody is willing to give you that experience, how are you supposed to get it.

Start at the bottom of the barrel, if needed, then. I know that's not the end-all or always an option, but I see it overlooked quite a bit.

I know it's hard to find a job nowadays. I also know that I've had more than one friend who's complained about absolutely not being able to find a job (they have never had a job before), but refusing to "lower" themselves to things like food service. >_>;

Start at the bottom of the barrel, if needed, then. I know that's not the end-all or always an option, but I see it overlooked quite a bit.

I know it's hard to find a job nowadays. I also know that I've had more than one friend who's complained about absolutely not being able to find a job (they have never had a job before), but refusing to "lower" themselves to things like food service. >_>;

I got refused for a job in McDonalds because they required applicants to hold a catering qualification. For flipping burgers. ._.

I got refused for a job in McDonalds because they required applicants to hold a catering qualification. For flipping burgers. ._.

Owch; sounds like that particular branch wanted to try and make themselves look sophisticated. XD

I had a similar time; no experience, nobody wanted me. Eventually I got lucky. I suppose the only suggestion I have is to do something creative in the meantime, or get a volunteer job; the latter will look good as it shows a work-ethic despite not being paid, and that you have a little work experience under your belt. Mind you, I probably wouldn't do it myself. XD

i've had a lot of trouble finding jobs myself, but i've gotten quite a few interviews:)
i've been offered one or two but had to turn them down because they didn't fit with my schedule (i can only work weekends this summer)

basically, beef up your resum? with volunteer work!! it shows initiative, work ethic, work skills- all things past jobs would hold for you if you had them.:)
i volunteer at the local shelter sometimes and the old folks home here in town. i also did a lot when i was in high school helping around the office doing basic clerical things. all of it i put on my resum? and it helps LOADS.
who knows, you might actually get a job at the place you're volunteering at(;

good luck!!

With no experience, you have to apply places like McDonald's and Walmart. Fast food joints will hire with no experience and retailers will consider it decent experience! If you get hired in at lower level job at Walmart, they can promote you up, you'll get customer service experience, and then be set when you apply anywhere else.

I worked at Arby's for a few months before I had any other formal jobs and that helped me a ton! I did Walmart for two years and ended up in customer service, which is nice for me to have now.

You need to work for free before starting to get paid(clever, huh? that way they get as many free workers as they want, YAY SLAVERY!), I think it's bullshit so I didn't bother going down the usual school/work route.

For one thing, Mcdonalds,Wendys,KFC etc. don't require experience, they'll hire just about anyone so if you're not willing to apply o those places, you don't want a job badly enough.

Second, ANYTHING in life can be considered experience, it's all in the way you word it in your resume and interview.
Volunteer experience,extra curricular activities etc.
Third, make sure your resume is up to snuff. 100 people can apply for a job but usually only 10% or less of the resumes are actually tailored to the job being applied for and are actually up to the company's standard. In short, why should yours stand out among many?
Fourth, on your resume make sure you have a relevant skills section and make sure you have an example for each skill as well.

I'm also from Ontario and never had any issue getting a job, even with little-no employment experience, so the fact that you don't have any really shouldn't be that big of a hindrance in your job search. More than likely it's not that YOU have no job experience, it's just that other applicants do, or just that they can write a better resume.

You don't NEED experience. Apply for jobs in sheer numbers. The more resumes you hand out, the more chance you have of getting a reply. I haven't worked a proper job before, and I was offered 12 interviews for this summer. I spent ages perfecting my resume to show my good points and useful experience outside of the workplace, although I have quite a few sporting achievements that helped. I attended 4 of the interviews, took a job as a receptionist in a 4 star hotel and was offered the job from another interview.

Here's what you need to focus on:
1. Appearance and clothing. They won't tell you this for obvious reasons, but attractive people who have a clean and tidy appearance and dress well are more likely to get a job. It shows self respect and confidence.
2. Confidence must be high but not so much that you're over-confident.
3. This is probably most important; your resume must be perfect. They get literally hundreds for a single job nowadays, and this may be your only chance to shine. Make it so they are drawn in within 10 seconds of reading it. If they don't see anything they like immediately, it'll go in the bin as they have plenty to choose from and not enough time or patience to read them all. Take the time to make it as good as possible. Find a template online that suits your experience and is aesthetically pleasing, and work off that.
4. Ask for the manager or whoever is in charge personally as you have been doing. Make an impression.

I don't understand how you're expected to have experience without any employer giving you a chance!
And there's the Catch 22 of the whole thing.
Once upon a time people actually bothered to teach you how to do things that didn't require a hell of a lot of experience to do. For example, can you swing a hammer? And are you fairly competent? Once upon a time you could have gotten a job in construction based on that. For example.

So really what we rely on now is finding a manager who isn't so damned picky. Some managers out there are actually just looking for someone fairly competent - competent enough to learn how to do the job. That's how I got my first, and to date - only, job. The manager who hired me was pretty lax about the whole thing and summed it up as saying she hired me because women generally tend to clean up better... which is the story of how I got stuck working night shift with two guys in their 30's, one with a prison record, and the other who practically bragged about smoking pot and drinking a lot (he showed up to work drunk once, but it was his day off and got called in anyway so it was harder to blame him).
But they were the ones I preferred working with actually. They got fired later and I worked with other people on night shift after that but instead of seeing the same guys almost all the time I was working with 3 different groups depending on the night.

But I got sidetracked, anyway, point is my manager didn't care as much about experience so she gave me a chance. So, it does happen but it's just that people don't want to bother training anyone to actually do the **** job these days.
Stupid? Yes, very. But that's how it is.
I mean there are always exceptions, it's just a matter of finding those exceptions.

Some jobs are so **** pathetically easy a trained monkey could do it, so those kinds of places are going to be a little more likely to show you the ropes because it's easy - but you still have to know the exact process. They can afford to show you what to do because it doesn't require a lot of brain power to do it.

So, yeah, you're right. You have to have experience to get experience. Or rather "how can you get any experience if no one ever hires you so you can get the experience you need" or "you need a job to get experience but you need experience to get the job".
It's a Catch 22, so since that's the norm these days you need to rely on someone who doesn't conform to that notion - someone willing to give someone inexperienced a chance. But it's still a matter of finding them. And, oh, if you try and try and try to find a job people act likes it's your fault because you're not trying hard enough even though it's really just that no one wants to hire you! Of course in my case I'm medically unable to do certain things, like you don't want me working in a fast food place - Subway is one thing but most other places? Yeah, it wouldn't end well.
I'm a liability because I could fall down and hurt myself, and maybe fall asleep on the job, so really that makes me finding any job a royal pain in the ****. I wasn't this bad off while working at Subway but since then my medical conditions have gotten worse, been having more headaches, falling down more, falling asleep at random more, things like that.

So there are certain things I simply can't do, mostly because I can't stand for very long, and most places are really not that willing to let me sit and do a job that most people could do just as easily sitting as they could standing. Like standing somehow equals you're working harder or something? I don't know. Which is why I hate it when people suggest I go to work in food, because I'm really a safety hazard and you have to stand a lot.
If I'm gonna fall, and I will it's inevitable, then I'd rather it be carpeted at least or I'd rather be sitting so I don't fall to the ground.

But I can't seem to find clerical jobs, so at this point I got nothing. Hence, unemployed. Oh well, at least I can sell my jewelery sometimes so that's something.
I have no advice to offer other than what my dad has always told me... "Interviews are just a matter of who can lie the best". So make something reasonable up, find someone to back you up on it (someone who they can call), and make sure there's no one who can contradict whatever you're saying. I mean I've lied about working for people before, working for people who my mother works with. Cash pay sorta stuff. Less than minimum wage, but it was work.
Because I'm me it hasn't helped much, but at least it makes it seem like I've had some other job than Subway. Point is, lying usually helps provided it's believable. Like say you wanna be a mechanic and you know what you're doing but have no job experience for it, you claim to have worked for a neighbor who was a mechanic (and got paid for it) and he paid you to help him out when he got a few too many cars for him to handle alone. When in truth maybe you just learned because your dad taught you, and you can add that also.
But you'd need someone to pretend to be that neighbor so if they called then they could confirm what you said.

For example, of course, depends on the job really. Best of luck to you though. Sorry if I rambled too much, got a bit sidetracked there. >.>

EDIT: Although I don't have a job so I'm likely not the best person to take advice from. XD

Back