What's new

My way of mounting an LCD screen for lyrics

The Wizard Of OZ

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
The few times I've hosted in the recent past I just set my LCD monitor on a snack table. Of course it doesn't look professional, it's kind of rickety and it's pretty low. I've seen lots of different ways to do this and I almost ordered a LCD TV wall mount that I was going to mount to an extra speaker stand I have.

I decided to take the base off the screen and see how I could just maybe place the screen down on the stand pole. Once I disassembled the base I found a metal bracket thingie that slides up into the back of the screen. I got the idea that I could flatten the end of the pole and it could just slide up into the metal bracket. It worked like a charm and it's easy to remove the LCD screen off the stand. I had a couple of people look at it on Sunday and I could tell they liked it. It's funny, one guy asked "what is that?". It's really the simplest thing I could think of to do.

I'll post some pics shortly.

I have seen all kinds of custom-made designs for mounting TV's on stands, usually mic stands.

Both my partner and I used music stands, but we each took different approaches. He was able to remove the "shelf" from the stand and to screw the remaining bracket (which had held the shelf in place) directly into the back of his TV. Luckily, the holes in the bracket lined up with the screw holes on the TV.

I simply drilled holes through the back of the stand's shelf to line up with the TV. What I like about my design is that the shelf will stay erect on any flat service without the need of the stand.

I also saw somebody who coincidentally had the same TV and the same music stand and simply used a bungee cord to keep the TV in place on the stand

Simple. LCD wall mount bracket. Attach that to a regular pole mount bracket for a light fixture. That will attach to a stanard tripod. Been there done that and it works fine.

How about some photos to help those of us who can't quite visualize? LOL

LOL Diafel I was thinking the same thing and Im a retired cabinet maker.

I'm trying to get around to that. Either pics or a video. Everything is packed up in my van right now. I just need to pull the stand and LCD display out and do it and then get it posted. It's a very simple solution. It need to be refined slightly, I need to flatten out the stand pole slight more and then spray paint it black. Other than that it's already fully functional and has been used once.

I'll try and take some pics. But basically it would look something like this.

Or you can attach the O-clamp to the LCD mounting bracket. That's all I did.

I can't find the exact bracket I use but I believe I paid around $18 for the LCD mount and $6 for the pole clamp. The thing you need to be cautious of is that the LCD monitor now makes the tripod top heavy. I wouldn't get a bracket with an extension arm. You'll have better center of gravity if the monitor is directly over the tripod. Other than that it works great. A standard tripod at it's lowest level puts the monitor at about mid chest level on the average person.

Ok, here is a little video I made yesterday before my gig at the VFW.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EZ8vvn2dY"]YouTube - Using a speaker stand to mount an LCD screen for Karaoke Lyrics[/ame]

A 4 dollar O clamp fastened to the hole in that bracket would have accomplished exactly what you wanted to do, without ruining a perfectly good $50 speaker stand....

I'm seriously thinking of putting you on ignore Steve, but I'll respond this time.

I got the pair of speaker stands basically for free a couple of years ago when I bought my EV Sx100 speakers. The person I got them from had cut the end of the stand pole parallel to the length about 4-5 inches and then curled it in so the diameter was a little smaller because they didn't fit in the hole on the bottom of the speakers. So they were already mangled up. I wasn't using the stand because it's made of steel and kind of heavy. I use a single stand pole to mount my EV Zx1s over my Sb122 subs so my 3 sets of stands pretty much go unused. I shared this with people who I thought might find it interesting. Thanks to you I'll just keep my ideas to myself in the future, good job.

By the way, I get the impression that your ability to use tools is extremely limited otherwise you would recognize how easily I could saw off the flattened end and use the stand in the regular way if I so choose. So have a nice day.

I'm seriously thinking of putting you on ignore Steve, but I'll respond this time.

I don't know what you hoped to accomplish with this statement. Should I feel relieved? :sqwink:

All I'm saying is by listening to others; you'll sometimes find easier and better solutions...

Did I need to have an accomplishment in mind? I was just saying you're an a$$ in a different way, is it clearer for you now?

As far as listening to others, I was the one who started the thread, I wasn't asking for ideas I was showing a very simple and free method to mount a display. Not your cup of tea, no problem there, I never said anyone had to do it my way. It was just a suggestion.

I feel like I'm talking to a four year old with you. You seem to need an explanation for every little detail. Whatever. I'm done explaining things to you. Enjoy trying to annoy someone else. You're dismissed, buh bye.

That's certainly an interesting comment coming from you, thanks for your insightful observation. :sqlaugh:

I like Wiz's idea but wouldn't want to waste a Speaker stand ( I realize his wasn't wasted since it was free and already non-functional.

What I would do is simply purchase a piece of tubing with the inside diameter to fit over the OD of the stand upright and weld a piece of flat to the top of the tubing that would fit into the mounting bracket of what ever TV you are using or bolt a mounting plate directly to it!

Wiz,

What Steve said is a simple statement of fact not a cut on you! Plastic O-clamps are $4 or $5 and would have bolted directly into your monitor bracket and you wouldn't have wasted the energy it took to beat that stand flat. A swedge would have fixed the end of the stand so it would have worked just fine!

Wiz both you and That Music Guy are both princes and true sweethearts. atleast while adapting something cool you got to take out your aggressions on the tubing.

Back