What's new

Napster

Jabberwock

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Ok, today is the day the courts decide if napster is legal or illegal.... if its illegal then Napster will begin to charge at least a $5.00 (American Dollars) per month for use.... that money goes to the disgruntled record company guys....

Just wondering, how do you all feel about this? I personally think its a bunch of crap... I don't think its illegal, and I don't see why they can't stay free....

Would you guys pay the monthly fee to get Napster's music? It is still cheaper than buying the CD's I suppose, if you use it enough....

------------------
******This message brought to you by the company to re-elect Jabberwock for Emporer of the known Universe. Visit our website at http://www.trinitywesleyan.com/pyromaniacs

I think it's HIGHLY *highly* retarded! Why in the world would it be legal? Only 800 billion (exagerated) people use it, and has been there for a long while. Stupid, stupid, stupid government we have these years....
*I* could do a better job, BUT, I'm already applied for Trumpet God, so I can't

That's why I use Audiogalaxy...free, and better

Howver, I will pay $5.00, cuz Napster is, no matter what you say, pretty good. Not the best, but some things are cool..

------------------
10 years from now, you will worship me. Oh yes, I will be God. I will be yours, and everyones God. I..will..be...TRUMPET GOD!
Justin's Swing Palace

There are MANY ways to acquire MP3's. Before I used scour, it was just a network of ftp servers and #mp3 on EFNet on IRC. Then there was Scour.net. Then Napster. Now Audiogalaxy. DD uses the newsgroups. Any way works for me. All I can say is that now I that I have my DSL, I'm pleased with 20-100 KB/sec downloads!
supergrin.gif

------------------
Does driving a car from Saturn make me an alien?

I'm just a quick pee. - liltaz, fastest pee in the West!

That which does not make me barf, makes me stronger - possum37, fugly.net guru.

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by JHowse on February 13, 2001 at 11:13 AM]</font>

i could care less either way
though i dislike napster being mainstream and causing bandwidth to shrink
i do like the fact that it makes it easier to find music in general
*sigh*

------------------
http://www.moonsee.com &lt;--- Updated 02/03/01!!!

LOL!
I meant Illegal...

------------------
10 years from now, you will worship me. Oh yes, I will be God. I will be yours, and everyones God. I..will..be...TRUMPET GOD!
Justin's Swing Palace

Technically, this court case does not just apply to Napster.... it will be a precedent for every company that does this kinda thing.... like AudioGalaxy and places like that...

Of course, they can't completely stop it.... but its gonna be a pain now....

------------------
******This message brought to you by the company to re-elect Jabberwock for Emporer of the known Universe. Visit our website at http://www.trinitywesleyan.com/pyromaniacs

Just so you know, Napster has two parts: the actual client software, and the server that you connect to that has the list of files. If Napster gets shutdown, they'll have to take down their server as well. HOWEVER, there are MANY other open napster servers (not provided by napster, but work with napster). So if you go to www.napigator.com and download their little app, you will get a list of all these other servers... just double-click whichever one you want to connect to (usually one with a lower ping rate) and it will automatically log you onto that napster server (assuming you have the Napster software loaded already). You can now resume downloading all the songs you want (many of these servers are also interconnected, so the list of files is MUCH GREATER than Napster's own server). So even if Napster gets shut down, these servers will still be up (until they are taken down one-by-one by law, which won't be happening any time soon).

------------------
"May those who love us love us. And those who don't love us-- may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping." -- Keeping the Faith

i wonder, if a lot of people use napster, and then they can't, some may take there anger out on metallica, who kinda started a lot of this. i was thinking, maybe metallica will get less popular...

------------------
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

I don't think people should take it out on Metallica....

Metallica really didn't start all this, they were just the first to actually do something about it. There have been plenty of disgruntled bands and record companies and studios and stuff angered by what Napster is doing. And they've been there since Napster first showed up.

------------------

First off, $5 bucks is cheap! Napster is better than searching for music yourself. It takes alot less time, than searching on google or whatever search engine.

Also, record companies are not hurting from Napster. CD sells have not declined. It takes too freaking long to find an entire album on Napster of a non-"top charts" album of good audio quality. There is no sure way of knowing the quality of it. And also, it takes sooo much **** time that only unemployed college students use Napster heavily.

I only use Napster to sample a song from an Album, but I still go and buy CDs. It takes to freaking long to go and find the best quality MPEGs, to go find the entire album, to go and burn the **** thing.

I'd rather on go an online store like ebates and get rebates on BN.com, Borders, Half.com and whatever and get my CDs for cheap that guarentee CD quality and I save a lot of time.

god bless ebates

Most of the music I've got is mp3's. I've actually been buying more CD's since I got Napster, and they've been CD's that I've really liked, because I've been able to download everything on the CD. But it just costs too much (for someone who's too young to legally get even part-time work) (for another 15 or so days) to be able to think of getting all the music I'd like on CD.

------------------
One door closed is one door opened
One more memory fades away
Such grand dreams we all have chosen
We lost our innocence along the way
- Rose Bygrave, "Innocence"

PsychoticIckyThing.Com

I think that it will be darn near impossible to eliminate Napster or sites like Napster. Especially since the U.S. will not be able to go after sites with physical locations outside of its borders. In the same way that most bootlegs are produced in places like Italy and Germany where they don't semm to care that much.

I like Napster, but I still think nothing compares to the actual cd or vinyl with the original art etc. Plus searching Napster will never be as rewarding as searching through small poorly organized record stores and check through all of the bargain racks or finding that rare release that has been out of print for 10 years. I mainly use it when there is a song I want which I would never buy the whole album for. Or when there is a song that I simply can't find. 2 songs like the latter are Coil's version of Tainted Love and the Barenaked Ladies version of McDonald's Girl.

------------------
my eyes, the goggles do nothing

That's true, too.
I think I'll always be able to find my mp3's, regardless.

------------------
One door closed is one door opened
One more memory fades away
Such grand dreams we all have chosen
We lost our innocence along the way
- Rose Bygrave, "Innocence"

PsychoticIckyThing.Com

Originally posted by Velvet_Phoenix:
Also, record companies are not hurting from Napster. CD sells have not declined. It takes too freaking long to find an entire album on Napster of a non-"top charts" album of good audio quality. There is no sure way of knowing the quality of it. And also, it takes sooo much **** time that only unemployed college students use Napster heavily.

I only use Napster to sample a song from an Album, but I still go and buy CDs. It takes to freaking long to go and find the best quality MPEGs, to go find the entire album, to go and burn the **** thing.

It only takes long if you have a slow connection, I can download nearly 100 songs within 5 minutes if I want to.... I know, cause I've done it, just for the sake of having them, lol....

------------------

Back