What's new

Nascar's new hot-topic

STXAlex

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Its nice to talk about something other than Danica Patrick.

Source: http://www.nascar.com/news/120303/twitter-use-nascar-bkeselowski/index.html

This is an interesting subject, Should there be any problem with drivers having their phones in the car? Also, do you think Twitter or any other social media like it should have a place in Motorsports? Or any sport for that reason?
It also seems to me like NASCAR is really pushing this twitter thing to the max. Everywhere you look on the TV screen now, they're displaying Twitter handles and telling people to "tweet this" or whatever.
I think its nifty to see the drivers perspective on some issues, but i really think that they need to back off on the advertisement of using Twitter in NASCAR.

here are some driver opinions from the article:
A key issue with toting a cell phone is NASCAR's rule prohibiting drivers from having communications with other drivers while in the car. Kyle Busch expressed a voice of reason, however.

"I don't think there's any merit there. You can't hold it and record or anything like that," Busch explained. "I don't think they [Keselowski] were doing anything that was out of the norm."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. echoed a similar sentiment. "I was surprised that he [Keselowski] would carry a phone in the car because you really can't use it. It didn't harm anybody, didn't bother anybody, so I don't see any problem with it."

Kevin Harvick joked he might find a useful, and advantageous way, of using his cell phone.

"I'm going to look for every app I can for mile-per-hour, GPS mapping, and anything I can find to put in my car. ... I have found a mile-per-hour app, so that'll be good down pit road," he said to a room full of laughter.

I suppose having it shouldn't be a problem but using it should definitely be banned. What's next; rum and coke in the ****pit? Chug a Bud Light when you pit? LOL

I've no problem with it no. World Rally have had mobiles in their cars for some years now and noone bats an eyelid. They have in-car reporters and obviously can talk to their crew-chiefs. It's a bruh-ha-ha over nothing in my eyes.

Twitter is a kind of marketing thing with trends and that's why they push it.

I am not against it as long as the drivers don't use it while driving! I agree that it doesn't make any sense to ban the phone, however there should be a strict code of conduct regarding their use. Nowadays people are used to carrying theirs phones everywhere, so the NASCAR should allow the drivers to carry it with them.

Clearly, both Keselowski and McDowell used the phone while in the car. This automatically poses an issue because many states have banned talking/texting while driving. Logically, race car drivers will not be omitted from the law.

A second issue is obviously the damage a flying object can do in an accident. Most everything in a race car is strapped down. If a phone is allowed, it too should be secured.

I agree that drivers should be allowed to use their devices and social media to their advantage, but not at the risk of anyone's safety.

I suppose having it shouldn't be a problem but using it should definitely be banned. What's next; rum and coke in the ****pit? Chug a Bud Light when you pit? LOL

I tend to agree with this point. I think it’s all right to have it in the car -- for emergency contact with perhaps the crew.

But just for idle chatting or texting while driving? No, absolutely not.

Phones shouldn't be allowed for any reason. Twitter will be twitter and it's just for marketing I suppose.

I tend to agree with this point. I think it’s all right to have it in the car -- for emergency contact with perhaps the crew.

But just for idle chatting or texting while driving? No, absolutely not.

In all honesty, I don't know why you would need or want it in the car anyway. I just can't come up with a reason why it can't be in there if it isn't being used. They have all sorts of equipment in there to talk with the crew so a phone is the last thing they should worry about.

In all honesty, I don't know why you would need or want it in the car anyway. I just can't come up with a reason why it can't be in there if it isn't being used. They have all sorts of equipment in there to talk with the crew so a phone is the last thing they should worry about.

I guess driving around a somewhat oval track makes them bored. :D

If its not allowed while driving in regular cars then it sure as hell shouldnt be allowed while you are driving 200 mph lol.

If its not allowed while driving in regular cars then it sure as hell shouldnt be allowed while you are driving 200 mph lol.

Indeed. I wouldn't want to hear of a huge NASCAR crash due to someone using their phone.

The fact that they already have communication enabled within the car is a very good point that I hadn’t considered before.

These drivers need to keep their eyes and minds on what they’re doing -- they don’t need a cell phone for that.

Back