What's new

Need health insurance weird situation--help!

focadima

Legend Of The Universe
PF Member
Reaction score
My best friend died last summer-She was divorced and kids did not have a great relationship with their dad--but had to go live with him. As soon as DD turned 18 she moved in with her grandparents--ds is still with dad ( 16 1/2) plans on moving out as soon as he turns 18..

So Dad the a$$ that he is ( and total imature adult..) told her he was not covering her insurance now that she was done with school--mind you OBVIOUSLY He has other childen and covers his wife--lol so covering her would not cost him a penny...... anyway so he was going to drop her anyway at the end of this year--well dad lost his job--whole family now does not have insurance

DD called me up all upset -she is NOT in school FT-she took this year off ( blah blah blah--she spent 2.5 years caring for her mom dying of cancer..) she is planning on attending a major university in the Fall-she needs to find insurance until she can get insurance through the school -she has some current health issues and wants to be able to go to the dr when needed without a hassle...

any suggestions what she can do at age 18 for personal private insurance?

well she has some $$$ trust is being finalized shortly--Mother took care of the children nicely

poor brother though--I think dad will spend all of his money before he turns 18..

:)

I thought someone MIGHT just have dealt with something similar--she did find a place that was cheap and could get a 6 month policy but her current issues could not be covered..( not bad /terrible issues but none the less issues)

Lisa just call Blue Cross.

Be aware insurance companies can at this time decline to insure adults with DIAGNOSED health issues and often will not pay claims for "major" issues if treated within the first 6 months of the policy being in force.

Or tell her to file a FAFSA and get registered at community college for spring. 4 online courses will get her to full-time status.

Kathy I know she is going to take CC classes in the spring--do CC offer insurance?? not sure how many she is taking

DIAGNOSED. So tell her to shut up if she has no DIAGNOSIS.

What are her issues? She may be able to obtain care at county health.

No insurance will immediately cover preexistings for an adult.

I dont think it is anything major--she has some re-occuring UTI that she seems concerned about--but insurance company she spoke to gave her some line about not covering something that she had been treating for less then 6 months ago

again, she called me briefly this afternoon--we spoke for 20 minutes catching up. I told her I would look into options for her.

I am going to talk to her tomorrow about the cc thing--also I will call blue cross

What an unfortunate situation. Poor kids. That's something I worry about. I hope you're able to help the girl out.

She's 18 so no Allkids eligibility.

I am watching this thread because we have Allkids but DS17 will turn 18 next year before he graduates high school, and when he turns 18 the Allkids will no longer cover him. Unfortunately.

I will need to find/pay for some separate coverage....at least during football season.

She's 18 so no Allkids eligibility.

I am watching this thread because we have Allkids but DS17 will turn 18 next year before he graduates high school, and when he turns 18 the Allkids will no longer cover him. Unfortunately.

I will need to find/pay for some separate coverage....at least during football season.

Michelle if you file an early FAFSA and have him enter CC as a student in the spring semester, he can go on the college student insurance with no lapse from Allkids when he turns 18.

Any student older than 16 can take classes (even AUDITS) at CC without permission from their HS. Online courses count.

File the FAFSA as soon as possible. Before Nov 1. Spring registration most places starts the 5th.

His birthday is in August. I need to find something to keep coverage continuous, since he will already be in summer football practice then, and insurance is required by the program.

There is health insurance available for students through the High School, I was going to look into that.

Do you think that would be similar to what is from the community college? I need to start looking into all that pretty soon.

(sorry to distract your thread)

I had looked at individual coverage policies briefly when I first realized this would occur. They are available at a reasonable cost, but don't cover much at all.

Here's a very helpful health insurance broker -- very knowledgeable, who can help guide on health insurance choices (private and state of Illinois programs), based on your individual health status:

Jordan Wishner, the Health Insurance Shoppe
773 880 8484

http://thehealthinsuranceshoppe.com

He represents Blue Cross, Humana, United Health Care, Aetna, Celtic, and Assurant. He also knows criteria for state programs and can assist with enrollment.

He also keeps a very informative blog on health insurance (just click on "blog" at the bottom of the home page).

If your community college does not provide specific coverage, there is insurance through the Sallie Mae Website. It is about $1k per year.

I would do the catastrophic through the high school until he graduates, then move on to the college coverage. The coverage can be paid for with excess Pell Grant funds, loan, etc. Though I would not recommend a loan for health insurance.

Also what you can look into is Starbucks and Costco both offer health insurance benefits to part-time employees. Target also has a program, but I don't know if IL employees are eligible.

My 17yo really likes where he works, but he is probably going to switch to Starbucks when he goes to CC - better pay over time, and health insurance benefits.

My DH can help as well, even if its just questions, his office number is 847-640-0402, his name is Gene. He is an insurance agent and he's and flippin' honest as they come, sometimes to a fault! lol !!! but that's part
of why I love him!

I would definitely ask lots of questions and get lots of quotes.

I hope this all works out for the best!

Kathy I told her to get a job at Target or Starbucks a long time ago--She mentioned to me yesterday about Trying to go to Target, I think Starbucks could work for her as she worked last holiday season at Gloria Jeans!

I know Target used to be that you had to work there 6 months before you were eligible-

His birthday is in August. I need to find something to keep coverage continuous, since he will already be in summer football practice then, and insurance is required by the program.

There is health insurance available for students through the High School, I was going to look into that.

Do you think that would be similar to what is from the community college? I need to start looking into all that pretty soon.

(sorry to distract your thread)

I had looked at individual coverage policies briefly when I first realized this would occur. They are available at a reasonable cost, but don't cover much at all.

I'm not sure if it has changed or not. When I was in HS regular medical insurance didn't cover football injuries. A seperate policy was required. It was around $60 to be covered for the 4ish months and the boosters covered half of it. (This was 30 years ago.)

Health insurance covers sports injuries now. There is no activity exclusion on child health insurance any more.

Back