What's new

Never cooked ribs before....

SmittyisMe

Senior Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
but there was a special sale and I am now the owner of 4 racks of ribs (not to mention 20# of chicken thighs). I'm freezing 3 of the racks, but now I need a recipe for the rack that's not frozen! I've found recipes that call for 13 hour cooking and others that call for hours of marinating and 2-3 hours of cooking.

Oh, did I mention I coupon :secret:and therefore have multiple flavors of different brands of marinades and bbq sauce - except Kraft, I HATE their bbq sauce. I also have all the ingredients to make my own - marinade and sauce. I can dry rub or wet soak, or first one then the other. I can braise, steam, bake, boil, and grill or do all of the above. I am a great cook, can take any recipe and make it my own and everyone loves it - only about 2-3 times in well over 40 years have I made something that was yuk!

So, although this will be my first time with ribs, if you're willing to share, hit me with YOUR favorite recipe for medium spicy, tender as Chili's ribs.

While we're at it, if you have any freaky not run of the mill recipes for chicken thighs, I'd love to try 'em.

My husband just made some a couple of days ago. Basically, he slow cooked them in the oven at 325 for a couple hours to make them nice and tender, then finished them off on the grill to add flavor.

We didn't put on BBQ sauce until served so everyone could use his/her favorite.

Just dry in the oven? No rub or marinade at all?

He didn't. They were very tender.

I'll be curious to see what other suggestions you get?! 'Cause I'd love some more ribs.

I do the same thing - dry in the oven, slow cook, low temp usually around 275 or 300 for an hour and a half or two, the night before I grill them. Then, overnight, I'll soak them in BBQ in the fridge, and the next afternoon I grill them for 5-7 minutes each side on med-low or med heat. No flames to touch the meat, and keep the grill closed while cooking. Since this is just about the same amount of time needed to heat a pre-baked potato (baked at the same time as the ribs), wrapped in foil, and to cook fresh corn on the grill (shucked, rinsed, also wrapped in foil, it works really well.

I just boil them in a huge, huge kettle for a bit...15 minutes or so then finish on the grill with bbq sauce.

We slow cook them in the oven beforehand too, but add a can of beer to the pan and cover with foil.

We just made ribs Wednesday and what we did is par boil them for like two hours, and then when tender I broiled them with bbq. Sometimes I will par boil them and then grill em.

See, now I'm back to the same dilemma I found when I look up recipes on line - par boil vs oven bake, dry heat vs wet.

Maybe I'll cut them in half and do 1/2 wet/boil and other dry/oven then grill and see

Thanks everyone.

If this helps any.. I like the baked better. The boil method seems to leave no meat flavor and then you get the sauce. When they are slow & low
baked, the flavor just melts into it and is so good.

If this helps any.. I like the baked better. The boil method seems to leave no meat flavor and then you get the sauce. When they are slow & low
baked, the flavor just melts into it and is so good.

Lol well I wouldn't know cause DH is the one who eats them! :giggle1: I never did care for ribs...too messy. I'm sure you're right though...makes sense.

I'm a baking gal myself - so I baked 'em in a covered roaster at 200 for 3.5 hours - put 'em up on a rack and put an inch of water in the bottom. I did use my homemade rub - just a gentle one - salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and some other stuff. Then I took 'em out and put a wet rub on 'em, lightly - and tossed 'em on the grill -- omg, they were scrumptious! I'll be making more !!!

Thanks to all for your ideas.

How long did you grill them? That always seems to be a big issue for me.

Back