What's new

Never Tried

Paintball

Established Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
I've never tried any sort of Motorsports before. Should I try? If yes, what should I do and how to I get started. It seems like a lot of fun. So what do you guys think?

No one has any suggestions? Come on, I really want to get started.

It depends on the motorsport that you want to get into, what you enjoy and how much money you feel like spending haha. Personally, I love drifting. I can't get over the feeling of holding the car sideways around a corner then straightening out and continue driving. There's also Time Attack and general Track racing. Many people use Hondas for track racing and they're easy to obtain parts for, easy to modify, fast, and are generally pretty cheap.

I must warn you though, any motorsport will chip away at your wallet!

Money really isn't much of a problem. I would rather start with some cheap stuff though, because I don't really know how far this will go. I most likely won't go anywhere with this, but hey, life is full of new things to try out and I wouldn't want to miss out on some fun stuff. I won't be young forever.

I love your attitude towards life! Haha. If you're in it for the fun, I'd definitely recommend drifting because anyone can put their foot down and speed, slow down and turn a corner but how many people can pull off reverse entries like the Japanese drifters or 'manji' up a track (when the car 'fish tails')? Girls LOVE drifting I got to admit haha. I have taken a few girls on the track and they love the fact that they think you're going to lose control but manage to hold the slide around the corner.

Drifting can be cheap aswell providing you have a track that does 'wet pan' (will show you a video of how us Aussies do it on the wet pan :p). You can pick up a Nissan Silvia or 180sx (240sx? RPS13?) for pretty cheap and they should have pretty decent power to drift. I would just get a 2-way diff or if you don't want to spend the money, get it welded (wouldn't recommend as you can blow your diff or damage your drive shafts).

If you want to check out more, I can link you to some videos? Not too sure if I am able to post them up here or how to?

I am not sure what your age is, but I watched a program on TV talking about motorcross and how men of all ages still participate in the sport. That might be a good one that you could compete and have fun in for a long time.

I've never tried any sort of Motorsports before. Should I try? If yes, what should I do and how to I get started. It seems like a lot of fun. So what do you guys think?

Definately try it - just take your car to a local track that allow you to take it round and enjoy :)

If your really interested in it then yes you should try it. I would suggest auto-cross its probably the easiest for beginners. Just look for some local auto-cross competitions, bring your car, bring a helmet, and your good to go.

Well to be honest if you have no experience you should try go karting, very cheap to get into and gives you some experience. You could also try taking your car to a local track but be warned, motorsports are incredibly expensive and pushing a car to it's limit will really take its toll on the car, you will need to constantly repair the car and I'm sure you know how expensive that can be.

To start off, you should trying autocrossing a car that's capable of doing so. Racing takes lots and lots of money, it's a hobby for the rich man. Go to your local events and see if you can sign up for them.

Well my recommendation would be to find a track in your town and just start driving. I remember when I started, I was full or doubts and even fear. But once I started, all the fear disappeared and I was filled with thrill and excitement that I had never experienced before. Just do it, dude!

I am not sure what your age is, but I watched a program on TV talking about motorcross and how men of all ages still participate in the sport. That might be a good one that you could compete and have fun in for a long time.

I agree. Our daughter is two and will be on a bike within the year. I was never allowed to motocross but my fiance dappled in it (and rockets) when he was younger. There are several small-town community events you can enter for fun. Kewaskum, Wisconsin does a Hill Climb every year on Father's Day. There are children from three all the way up past their sixties who attempt to climb the ski hill with their bikes. Their are several different bike categories, one guy brings out his antique Harley every year for the fun!

You can pick up a practiced bike pretty cheap and I am sure you could find pads at a decent price as well. As long as you know someone with land you will have a good starter track. Keep an eye out for others who race and you will find plenty of space to learn!

Back