What's new

New Alienware 51m battery life?

jonnuY

New Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have a NEW Alienware 51m laptop? I am after a real-world account of the battery life? There is a review of it at:
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3489509,00.html

But I'd like to hear some first-hand reports of battery life and heat generation.

Please save your opinions about whether or not the 51m is a good laptop or not for another thread--let's keep this thread to either first-hand reports or links to professional reviews. Also please make sure you are not quoting info about the old 51m (the Sage/Prostar/etc version).

Thanks.

Other than the TechTV article, I've not seen any reviews on the new Area-51m's batter life. But considering that the company actually took some time to deal with the pathetic battery performance encountered in the original Area-51ms, I'd say that 2 hours sounds about right.

Question of the day: If AW incorporates the new P4EE into the Area-51m, how much will it affect the battery life (apparently it's runs a bit hot).

Sorry I can't offer more...

Here's a bit of an update. I just read an online series of posts where someone picked up an Area-51m with 1Gb of RAM, 3.2Ghz processor and the 15.4" WideScreen display.

The person made the comment that he/she is getting about 1.75 hours from a single battery. I don't know just how they have their system throttled, as they may have decided to increase the screen brightness and speed of processor as compared to what AW sets as their default.

But at least it's something, hehehe.

Where did you read that?

On Today @ 04:32 PM Yoda117 had this to say in Post #3
Here's a bit of an update. I just read an online series of posts where someone picked up an Area-51m with 1Gb of RAM, 3.2Ghz processor and the 15.4" WideScreen display.

The person made the comment that he/she is getting about 1.75 hours from a single battery. I don't know just how they have their system throttled, as they may have decided to increase the screen brightness and speed of processor as compared to what AW sets as their default.

Can you post a URL link to that discussion?

Thanks!

Thanks!

That, combined with the TechTV review, is enough to convince me. Thanks for the link!

Thanks!

Well before you go jumping off there, I just wanted to point out one thing:

The guy on that thread is nice, but by his own admission, doesn't know much about computers.

Take some of it with a grain of salt.

But yeah, the TechTV article went really well for AW. Though I am VERY surprised that the ATI card in the AW didn't perform nearly as well as the NVIDIA. The 9600 is supposed to run rings around the Go5600.

*shrugs*

Re: Thanks!

Hey, if you're going to order an Area-51m, I'd hold off for a wee bit (say a week or two) and watch their website. With some luck, the free Targus bag will still be available as well.

AW has yanked the mini-PCI card offered for WiFi. It was an A/B card, and while good, the company decided to pick up a new card that are A/B/G compatible (and I think that it is compatible with the new deafting for 802.11I, but don't quote me on that).

You can't pre-order it, so it's worth waiting for... but if you can't wait, then you'll have to change your configuration to add it.

The trick is to let AW know that you know it is not available, since the price they are using in the mags for their promotion includes the card as part of the deal (a $57 value).

Tis up to you... personally I like arcadyan. Never used them, but I like the idea behind their products. Most mini-PCI cards can handle a lot more than what manufacturers are designing them for, and this company tries to push the limit on that. Here's a quick link to check out one of their internal WiFi cards.

http://www.arcadyan.com/PDF/Datasheet_abg_miniPCI PH11107_12127.pdf

BTW: if you should order, make sure to include the surge protector they are offering. I like Belkin's products (I REALLY like their USB bluetooth adapter), and the surge protector is no exception. If the picture on the AW site is correct, they are selling a surge protector that is compatible with most voltages (for those of us who travel out of the US a lot with our laptops) and has a retractable phone cord built in (the phone cord is also protected). Considering my lifestyle, this suits me quite well, and for $25 (as opposed to like $45 or so on Belkin's site, or $50 at Best Buy... if they carry it, instead of the cheaper model) it's a half-decent deal.

Cool thing about AW though is that if you order your system, and the products aren't released before your system is shipped, just tell them and they'll send it to you at the same cost as if you had purchased it with your system, and with free shipping.

Not too bad a deal.

I'll be getting my hands on one in a few weeks, so I'll make a post and give an opinion then. Personally, I kinda like the company (though it does have some issues which really need to be dealt with) and was impressed with they old Area-51m, though it has some major issues with battery life and I was not a big fan of the Clevo cases (too chincy for my tastes, and the latch broke too easily).

read today voodoopc's gonna announce a athlon64 notebook soon..

Someone was rambling on about an Area-51m variant doing the same thing.

Word to the wise for everyone thinking about ordering one... get the Conspiracy Blue chassis for now. They're giving $200 off for that color since they ran out of the Saucer Silver ones :rolleyes:

Someone ought to shoot their inventory manager. :tongue:

Back