What's new

Nike sues Reebok over Tim Tebow

Mr.Rogers

Chief Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Nike went to court Wednesday to prove that Reebok is no shoo-in to promote New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow on apparel.

Nike Inc. claimed in a lawsuit in U.S. District Court that Reebok International Ltd. has used Tebow's name on Jets-related apparel without permission since it was announced last week that Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to New York. The Tebow trade occurred just before Nike replaces Reebok on Sunday as the supplier of NFL team uniforms.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims that Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and unjustly enriched itself because it failed to get Tebow's permission before launching the new products.

Reebok, based in Canton, Mass., did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment. The lawsuit said Reebok did not respond to demands to cease Tebow apparel sales after a Tebow representative sent a letter to the company on Friday.

Reebok is a subsidiary of Adidas AG.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7746905/new-york-jets-nike-sues-reebok-tim-tebow-jerseys

Hmmm. If Nike doesn't officially have the rights to NFL apparel yet, I don't know if they have much of a leg to stand on.

Hmmm. If Nike doesn't officially have the rights to NFL apparel yet, I don't know if they have much of a leg to stand on.

I was thinking the same thing. Reebock was trying to make as much money as they could before the changeover. Not sure anything is wrong with that.

It's really crazy how big these brands have gotten. Nike in particular runs things and has a huge influence on everything that goes on in sports. I can't say I really care about this case as they make so much money as is that it really doesn't even matter.

I was thinking the same thing. Reebock was trying to make as much money as they could before the changeover. Not sure anything is wrong with that.

They sided with Nike today. But I still really don't understand it either, from what I understand Reebok was still under contract. Confusing!:confused:

That's dumb.

How did the judge justify that? "Hey Reebok, I realize you still have the rights to the NFL, but really, you don't."

I just don't get how that works. It's like if your lease on a house was supposed to end on March 31st, and today the owner shows up with cops because you're still there.

This sounds very wrong, i was convinced that Reebok would win as Nike seemed to have no legal ground. Looks like Nike had a better lawyer, that's all. I feel bad for the whole "sports-image-fight" In the end, it is the sports that looses, no one likes scandals.

Reebok is just doing business I would think., nike might be upset that they never thought of it. haha

I was kind of expecting something like that to happen, but I think there's room for both on the market...

I think Tim Tebow should come up with his own brand of athletic shoes. That would help solve the Reebok and Nike problem. He could claim shoes would make you fly like an angel, or something. It would be a lot of fun coming up with a brand name and description.

I think Tim Tebow should come up with his own brand of athletic shoes. That would help solve the Reebok and Nike problem. He could claim shoes would make you fly like an angel, or something. It would be a lot of fun coming up with a brand name and description.

He wouldn't be allowed to wear them in game though. The NFL tells you what shoes to wear.

It is sad to me that it seems as if you can't depend on the legal system very much lately. As many have posted above, it seemed that it should have been cut and dry according to contracts, etc. It seems to me that often times whoever has more money to throw around is right - what is our world coming to?

Nike will make plenty of money over time so I don't see what's the big deal. I dislike it when companies are selfish and greedy. Let Reebok have their last good deal for cying out loud. This one sounds like it will get thrown out of court for sure!

Back