What's new

Nintendo DS

Matt Carr

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Linkage

What do you think from the info given thus far? PSP conquer? PSP's *****? Totally unique device with a large awaiting market? Totally unique device with no audience?

It sounds rather crappy, but I really don't wasnt the PSP to win. Sony is ****.

EDIT: I reread what I wrote and its crap. I don't know what I was thinking. This is what I should have said:

Nintendo is a great company. They just didn't market the GameCube right. They also didn't pick up on online play.

Its there own fault that 'mature' games are passing them by. Like Rockstar wouldn't give them the Double Pack because they felt 'GameCube wouldn't be able to sell it well.' Why? Because it's 'family' games.

Don't get me wrong there great, but that's all there is. There is no verity. So I am skeptical to look into and hype over the 'DS,' but who knows what it will be like.

I cant say i'm overwhelmed with excitement. I'll see when pictures become avaiable if it's worth having.

Redd Dragon said:
Yea Sony's suck (Sarcasm), Sony only created a system that, even though, is the least powerful has lasted and done better than all next generation systems.

Really, you find it amazing too? Cool. Because the PS2 also has the most technical malfunctions (like mine, which had Disc Read Errors until the second time I returned it to SONY to get fixed). That's real amazing. Also nice to know the PS2 is also the most frustrating console for developers to create games on (it's supposedly worse than the Sega Saturn).

Regardless of what Nintendo's statement was at the end of the year. Overall, since launch, Playstation 2 has been the system to beat and nobody has come up with that yet.

The PS2 has been "the system to beat" only because of casual/mainstream gamers. The first game console they were introduced to was the PS1. They know nothing of the days of Atari vs. Colecovision vs. Intellivision. They don't know how Nintendo reveived videogaming, which was dead from the late '70s until 1986 (when the NES came out).

You see, they (mainstream gamers) only took a passing interest in gaming because SONY, a company know for walkmans and whatnot made it "socially acceptible" to like games. The PS1 went on to become a smash hit amongst non-gamers.

Then a few years passed, and SONY began hyping up the PS2. This immediately caught the attention of the 70+ million mainstream gamers that bought a PS1.

So they didn't buy Dreamcasts, and fed off the hype.

PS2 released October 2000 - 500,000 served; several with Disc Read Errors.

They have the high standards for games unlike Nintendo. Nintendo is desperate for games to make it to there system.

Just a little example:

They take any game to make a buck. They took a game, Charles Angles, that was turned down by Sony because of excessive problems in graphics, controls, gameplay, etc. Which I might add was a total flop. Sony made the developers go through the entire game and give it back for testing in a year. Since Nintendo was in for the cheap, bug filled, unplayable crap they said, 'Screw Sony' and went with the deal for Nintendo. Once they released it on Nintendo GameCube and heard the response the went right back to Sony's deal and started to remake it for the Playstation.

Do you really want to consider that the PS2 version of Charlies Angels will be good? Okay. I'll hold you to that.

And do you really think Sony has higher standards for okay'ing games? SCEA won't let 2D games come out unless they're Fighting or RPGs. Yet they okay crap like Celebrity Deathmatch.

Nintendo may seem to be doing good, but they are far from it. Nintendo, in the end of the year, may seem to be doing good, but that's only off of GameBoy sales. Once the PSP launches Nintendo is in trouble.

Warning: The Sony hype machine has you.

How can you even say that Nintendo is in trouble when the PSP doesn't have a launch games lineup, or technological specs.

That's why Nintendo is scrambling around, trying to come up with a new handheld. This 'DS' as they call it looks like a sad quick attempt to beat the PSP.

Nintendo will continue to support the GBA. The GBA has been outselling all consoles of this generation for a while.The DS is Nintendo's "third leg". Not "last leg".

dementia said:
How can you even say that Nintendo is in trouble when the PSP doesn't have a launch games lineup, or technological specs.

They have actually released impressive specs. They actually just bumped it's ram up from 8mb to 32mb and according to developers it will be able to handle PS2 quality games.

Anyway, this is a total fanboy war going on here. John's like senselessly bashing Nintendo and coming out with the most hilarious statement of the year - "They have the high standards for games unlike Nintendo".

As for Dementia, yeah the PS1 was picked up by casual gamers (see: Shane :shifty: ), but it was still a gamers console. It may have had a mountain of crap games, but it still had it's far share of diamonds in the rough to compete with the Nintendo 64's best. What about the hardcore gamers that like racing games? Or RPGs? The PS1 was still a machine for the established gamer, but it bridged the gap and brought a much larger crowd into our world. On that note though... The PS1's whole line up of games gets ****in' rolled by The Ocarina Of Time :).

Look, all I have to say is the games are so much better here.

Grand Theft Auto III
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Metal Gear Solid: Sons Of Liberty
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Soul Calibur II
Ico
Madden NFL 2004
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Smackdown Series
Kingdom Hearts
Socom Series (Its only good Online, though)
DDR: Dance Dance Revolution Series

Plus so much more games.

What does Nintendo have? A bunch of old repetitive games. With there 'No Online' rule when making games and list of child games they have proven themselves all in the past. The only systems that can beat it in games are old ones. Nintendo had it, but who knows where it went.

See besides having to update your system pretty **** often Its worth it for the games. If those games listed above are not for you then you simply are the casual gamer not the people who like them.

That's all I'm saying, its the best because of its games.

Nintendo does support online. Its the 3rd party developers that refuse to use it.

Nintendo dont just make "kids" games. Not to mention that the interpretation these days is that if it is "fun" it must be for kids. Examples are Mario Karts: Double Dash, Mario Golf, Viewtiful Joe, Zelda.

The cubes Ratio of good games to crap is substantially higher than PS2's. ie. its Quality not quantity unlike Sony who brag about how many hundreds of games they have (90% of which is appallingly bad)

Sony market to stupid people (and are very successful)

A list of "crap" available on the cube

Zelda the Wind Waker
Viewtiful Joe
Freedom Fighters
Super Mario Sunshine
Madden NFL
PoP:Sands of time
SSX3
Tiger Woods PGA
Ikaruga
THUG
NHL 2004
Metroid Prime
F-Zero GX
Beyond Good and Evil
Final Fantsy:CC
NFL street
Rogue Squadron 2 and 3
Super Smash Bros
Resident Evil!!
Animal Crossing
Super Monkey BALL!!!
etc etc etc

Toast said:
Nintendo does support online. Its the 3rd party developers that refuse to use it.

Zelda the Wind Waker
Viewtiful Joe
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
F-Zero GX
Final Fantsy:CC
Super Smash Bros
Resident Evil!!
Animal Crossing

I fixed your list so it shows only games that are worthy of being called good exclusive games. The rest were multiplatform games.

Oh and how could you forget Mario Kart Double Dash!! That game was so fun.

Nintendo doesn't support online. If you were here in the last year you would remember Nintendo saying, 'We don't feel its the right time to use Online features.' 'We feel we will not benefit from it.'

Dude, Nintendo is a great company, but other than great first party software they aren't anything. I would love to see Nintendo put out a great system with games that aren't only for children, but for everyone with online support. Gamecube is not that system. I will wait for the next, but this "DS" doesn't look like it will make it. But, its to early to make that statment.

Redd Dragon said:
Metal Gear Solid: Sons Of Liberty
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Soul Calibur II
Madden NFL 2004

Gamecube = MGS: Twin Snakes + the other 3 games.

Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Viewtiful Joe
Ikaruga
Mario Kart Double Dash!!
Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Eternal Darkness
Super Smash Bros. Melee
FZero GX
Animal Crossing
Rogue Squadron III

I could mention more, but I've already said enough considering they're all EXCLUSIVE games, unlike a lot of games you said for the PS2.

Also I believe there are more "child games" for the PS2. If you're refering to Nintendo first party titles like Melee, Mario Kart, etc as child games then... that's foolish. "Family" games perhaps, but that being said, the violence level doesn't matter to a real gamer.

Edit: Shouldn't have ****ed around so long before posting... insert this post a few places up ;)

Matt Carr said:
Gamecube = MGS: Twin Snakes + the other 3 games.

Also I believe there are more "child games" for the PS2. If you're refering to Nintendo first party titles like Melee, Mario Kart, etc as child games then... that's foolish. "Family" games perhaps, but that being said, the violence level doesn't matter to a real gamer.

I'm not saying the child games are bad. I love Nintendo's first party games. I had a Gamecube at launch. Its just that Gamecube has only child games or as you say 'family' games. I just want to see the 'family' games along with the 'mature' games. I want to play Mario then switch over to Grand Theft Auto. Thats what PS2 has. Only PS2's 'family' or 'child games' suck.

The Gamecube has mature games. It just doesn't have GTA. There's no other game that the Gamecube doesn't have that even matters.

Matt Carr said:
The Gamecube has mature games. It just doesn't have GTA. There's no other game that the Gamecube doesn't have that even matters.

I'm really not into there type mature games. Although, I haven't kept up with there games other then Mario. Name me some games that would interest me. Seriously. I want to love Nintendo, but I need your help. If you can name me some great NINTENDO ONLY games besides the 'family' games I might think of buying the GameCube for the second time.

Ah, hell. I'll do it myself. Now, Redd Dragon, you should get GameCube. It has great games like:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
XGRA: Extreme-G Racing Association
Metroid Prime
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Viewtiful Joe
Super Mario Sunshine
Animal Crossing
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Soul Calibur II
Need for Speed Underground
Resident Evil 0
Beyond Good & Evil
Skies of Arcadia Legends
F-Zero GX
Luigi's Mansion
WWE WrestleMania XIX
Ikaruga
Star Fox Adventures
The Simpsons: Hit & Run
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II
Freedom Fighters
Tony Hawk's Underground
Madden NFL 2004
Sonic Mega Collection
Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
SSX 3
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell
Pikmin
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
I-Ninja
Mario Party 4
Gladius
Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs. New Generation
James Bond 007: NightFire
Super Monkey Ball 2
The Haunted Mansion
Medal of Honor Frontline
NHL 2004
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
FIFA Soccer 2004
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
NBA Live 2004
Lost Kingdoms II
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
TimeSplitters 2
Burnout 2: Point of Impact
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Def Jam Vendetta
NBA Street Vol. 2
ZooCube
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Summoner: A Goddess Reborn
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004
Crash Nitro Kart
Super Monkey Ball
Bomberman Generation
Spider-Man: The Movie
Wave Race: Blue Storm
Mystic Heroes
Dead to Rights
Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu
Pac-Man World 2
NCAA Football 2004
Bloody Roar: Primal Fury
Lost Kingdoms
Turok: Evolution
Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc
Hunter: The Reckoning
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
SSX Tricky
Red Faction II
Scooby-Doo! Night of 100 Frights
Beach Spikers
BloodRayne
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
All-Star Baseball 2004
Blood Omen 2
Batman: Vengeance
Madden NFL 2003
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
Knockout Kings 2003
NBA Street
Extreme-G 3
Burnout
Go! Go! Hypergrind
Cubivore
Worms Blast
NHL Hitz Pro
Sega Soccer Slam
Dakar 2
NASCAR Thunder 2003
NFL Blitz 2003
Ultimate Fighting Championship: Throwdown
NFL 2K3
Outlaw Golf
2002 FIFA World Cup
Aggressive Inline
Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure
NBA 2K3
NBA Live 2003
Smuggler's Run: Warzones
RoadKill
Dark Summit
FIFA 2003
NBA Courtside 2002
Madden NFL 2002
NASCAR: Dirt to Daytona
NCAA Football 2003
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003
Kelly Slater's Pro Surfer
NCAA College Basketball 2K3
Piglet's Big Game
Speed Kings
Freekstyle
MLB Slugfest 2004
Disney Sports Soccer
MX Superfly
FIFA 2002
NHL 2K3
NHL 2003
RedCard 2003
NCAA College Football 2K3
F1 2002
All-Star Baseball 2003
Home Run King
MLB Slugfest 2003
NFL Blitz 2002
Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 2
NBA 2K2
NHL Hitz 2002
TransWorld Surf: Next Wave

Now, Redd Dragon, but it!

Well, thats about it. Looks like I'll just buy it, again, for the 'family' games.

Sorry, if this freaked you out a little bit.

:freaked:
^ Teh freaked smileh

I can't think of anything more to say...

I'm confused :S

Should i try to talk up the PS2 now?

I'm actually an Xbox fanboy... not too fussed about either the GC or PS2

Total PC fanboy here. I like all 3 consoles somewhat, but I love PC games. After playing the Far Cry demo I am totally sure of it.

I just had to show this:

nintendods.jpg

lol :devil:

Back