What's new

Nintendo's 3DS Hits the U.S. On March 27 for $249.99

Shade

Active Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
500x249.jpg

Nintendo's glasses-free 3D portable gaming system will hit the U.S. on March 27 for $249.99
"Nintendo 3DS is a category of one – the experience simply doesn't exist anywhere else," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "You have to see Nintendo 3DS to believe it. And it's like nothing you've ever seen before."
The system will come with a telescoping stylus and some digital software built in.
Nintendo plans to kick off a massive marketing campaign for the 3D portable, with 5,000 units touring the country for eight weeks.
Nintendo first showed off the 3DS at last year's E3 video gaming expo in Los Angeles. The device, about the size of Nintendo's popular DS gaming system, allows people to watch movies and play games in 3D without the need of glasses. In addition to the directional pad found on the DS, the two-screen 3DS will also have an analog circle button, something more akin to what home console users may be used to. A built-in motion sensor and gyro sensor can react to the motion and tilt of the system, so whether players are twisting their systems side to side or moving them up and down, their motion-compatible Nintendo 3DS games respond instantly. The system will be backwards compatible with the DS and include some built-in DSi software.
The device can also take 3D pictures and then display them on its screen, something becoming more relevant in a time when Sony is pushing 3D video and still cameras.
The device will come in either Aqua Blue or Cosmo Black, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told a gathering of press this morning in New York.
Seen in person, the handheld's 3D screen almost approaches magic in the way it can trick the eyes into seeing 3D images that either hover in front of the screen or drop away inside the screen.
Games coming to the 3DS includes Pilotwings Resort, Nintendogs + Cats, submariner Steel Diver, Ocarina of Time 3D, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dead or Alive Dimensions, Madden, Super Street Fighter IV 3D, Asphalt 3D, Combat of Giants Dinosaurs 3D, Lego Star Wars III The Clone Wars, Ridge Racer 3D, Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D.
Nintendo says they hope to have more than 30 games hit the Nintendo 3DS by June.
The 3DS will also have some built-in software including a pedometer that will track your physical movement and log it. Mii Maker will allow gamers to create personal avatars that look a bit like the ones found in the Wii. Face Raiders, another built-in game, is a shooting gallery sort of title that puts your face into the game. The 3DS will also come with software for manipulating sound and browsing the Internet.
The system will also allow gamers to log into Nintendo's e-shop, which will include a "steady progression of Game Boy and Game Boy Color" hits along with new games. The store will also include demos and trailers for new games.

Source: Kotaku.com

Oh great! Something for some else to start another gaming forum...............

many people started forums for it when it was just starting out as a rumour

Oh great! Something for some else to start another gaming forum...............

Gaming forums can lead to some bigger stuff, don't hate on how people start off. If it wasn't for gaming sites, this site prob wouldn't be here now because that's how Kaiser started in the forum business. That's the basics of how many sites start. They start with a popular topic (which in this case is gaming) and they work with it, then over time they branch out and make other sites when they learn more about it. I just wanted to put that out there, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't like when people "talk down" on what other people like, and might like to do with what they like, they have there topic and they want to pursue it further and making something of it, What's wrong with that?

Sorry about that, now to get back on topic... For that price, I wont even look at this guy in stores. Now its cool that its 3d and all, but what are good games for it? that's my thing. Ill pay about 50$ more and just get ps3 (already have one but if I didn't) which also supports 3d gaming but with 10000 times better graphics XD. That's my opinion on this gaming system. I think Nintendo should either give up on gaming (more along the lines of there DS', there console systems are okay) or get with the 21st century. Now it is a big step up from there other hand held gaming systems but they still lack a great deal of where they could be.

I think this is going to be a huge failure. It's too expensive and no one really cares about 3D. Yeah, it's cool at first but gets old. They should have learned after the whole 3D TV push.

Gaming forums can lead to some bigger stuff, don't hate on how people start off. If it wasn't for gaming sites, this site prob wouldn't be here now because that's how Kaiser started in the forum business. That's the basics of how many sites start. They start with a popular topic (which in this case is gaming) and they work with it, then over time they branch out and make other sites when they learn more about it. I just wanted to put that out there, you are entitled to your opinion. I just don't like when people "talk down" on what other people like, and might like to do with what they like, they have there topic and they want to pursue it further and making something of it, What's wrong with that?

Sorry about that, now to get back on topic... For that price, I wont even look at this guy in stores. Now its cool that its 3d and all, but what are good games for it? that's my thing. Ill pay about 50$ more and just get ps3 (already have one but if I didn't) which also supports 3d gaming but with 10000 times better graphics XD. That's my opinion on this gaming system. I think Nintendo should either give up on gaming (more along the lines of there DS', there console systems are okay) or get with the 21st century. Now it is a big step up from there other hand held gaming systems but they still lack a great deal of where they could be.

Sorry guy I am 54 years old I left gaming behind a long time ago. When I was gaming it was Atari and the older versions that are nothing like the ones today. So even though they may be fine for the up and coming new generation at 54 I am not interested in gaming only cemeteries.............
-- Merged Posts --
I think this is going to be a huge failure. It's too expensive and no one really cares about 3D. Yeah, it's cool at first but gets old. They should have learned after the whole 3D TV push.

I think had they hit the market with this in December they may have had a huge volume of sales but with the way the economy is now I agree it may flop....

3D TV's didn't come out around December they came out in late 2009 and were marketed/pushed to the public in early 2010

it's only recently that they have become somewhat of a hit

3D TV's didn't come out around December they came out in late 2009 and were marketed/pushed to the public in early 2010

it's only recently that they have become somewhat of a hit

Did not say they came out in December I said:

I think had they hit the market with this in December they may have had a huge volume of sales but with the way the economy is now I agree it may flop....

nvm please excuse my lysdexia

If that's the price set once converted to GBP, £155 does not seem too bad for such a console, but know knows what Nintendo will do. It might flop, it might not but I know there's been some interest in it when I've been into stores here, many of which are now taking pre-orders.

But I think your right Azrael, that it will probably shine and sell out come December for Christmas, even if there is a rival console out.

I just saw the picture sample and I don't even like the LOOKS of it. Not something I would want. All the other DS colors matched, this looks more like one of those mix 'n' match deals and I don't really care for that at all. I'll stick with the DS Lite, thanks.

Woah, they recently released the DSi, and the XL version, now their releasing a 3D already.
Should be interesting.

Back