What's new

No wonder stores can't stay open

skincarekathy

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
...the store in question today is Officemax.

So! I am out of toner for my B&W laser. My store is 2 miles from my house and I drive by it to & from work. I stop there and grab 2 toners, because they are on buy 2 toners get $20 giftcard.

2 registers open, and I wait through a 4-person line. There are 3-4 people behind me in line.

Dude rings my 10 (empty, was recycling) inkjet tubs. Dude rings my toners. Scans my $10/30 coupon. Enters my rewards number so I can use my $62 in rewards. Gives me a total to pay. I say "When are you going to load up the $20 giftcard for buying the toners?" He says, and I quote "****." He then removes the rewards payment (necessitating a manger key). Then he rerings the toners, does the giftcard this time, scans my $10/30, enters my rewards. Oh, the register won't take the rewards. It's because you bought a giftcard. I say, no I didn't buy a giftcard, I bought toner. Officemax gave me the giftcard. He calls manager over. By now other cashiers have opened up to take the more than 10 customers who piled up between the 2 registers that were open.

Manager says, you can't use rewards on an order that you get a giftcard for. I say, no you are wrong, I do this all the time. He says well the register won't take it. I say well, do you think it has anything to do with forgetting the giftcard in the first place and the order/register now being weird because of it. Manager says, you don't have to be a witch about it, the register won't take it. Then, because he has at least some intelligence, he runs away into the office. I say, Cashier Dude, take off the toners, take off the giftcard. Just tender out my 10 inkjet tubs. He does so. He says, do you want this receipt? I say of course!

Why? Because it has a survey on it. Which I was DELIGHTED to fill out!

I ordered the stuff online, got the discount, got the toners, got the giftcard. No issues and I did not even have to speak to a person. However after I submitted my order, I did call the fulfillment center, told them my sad tale, and they gave me free overnight delivery.

Anyway stores like OfficeMax that have low margins pretend they don't understand why they are struggling in their retail stores. THIS IS WHY.

I hear ya! Customer service is so important expecially in today's economy.

Our Staples used to be that way too but they have gotten themselves together and have been better at CS and at taking coupons, etc.

Manager says, you don't have to be a witch about it, the register won't take it.

:faint:

I'd want more than free shipping. That is a hell no moment right there. I'm sorry they were idiots

I figured that little tidbit would be better shared on my survey. I expect to hear back from it.

If not, my dad knows one of the EVPs.

:snicker:

Customer Service is really getting bad lately. It seems like it's everywhere. DH just transfered all of our domain names to another company. When the old company asked why he was doing it, he said he didn't like the auto-renew option they automatically enrolled him in & that Go Daddy was 1/3 of the price. The lady said, "Whatever." Whatever? How about, "Gee, you've been a customer for 15+ years, anything we can do?" Rudeness is everywhere.

Customer Service is really getting bad lately. It seems like it's everywhere. DH just transfered all of our domain names to another company. When the old company asked why he was doing it, he said he didn't like the auto-renew option they automatically enrolled him in & that Go Daddy was 1/3 of the price. The lady said, "Whatever." Whatever? How about, "Gee, you've been a customer for 15+ years, anything we can do?" Rudeness is everywhere.

"Whatever?"
As in Mgr:"You're fired!" Employee:"Whatever."
As in "This call may be recorded..." "Whatever."
As in "Whatever. I don't really need this job"
Who says that?!
:dontget:

Well, probably has to do with people who do all this CS now are paid minimum wage and they feel like they are not paid to do anything.

I was at the gas station, the attendant has no clue how to manually run the $10 Visa card and the fuel reward card properly, no fuel reward came off. Manager was called, was more rude than the clueless teen attendant. He blamed the customer for lying about she has $1.50 in gas reward. "It's impossible that you have $1.50 in gas reward, how much did you spend at grocery store?" How's that your business?

At the grocery store that double coupons, cashier didn't know how to manually double coupons, blame the customer again. Manager came out, at least apologetic and fixed the issue quickly. But, cashier said unneccesary crude things and complaint to the next customer and thanked her god that the double event is ending this week.

Manager says, you don't have to be a witch about it, the register won't take it.

:faint:

I'd want more than free shipping. That is a hell no moment right there. I'm sorry they were idiots

No, that's a "hold my earrings" moment right there! :eek:hreally:

Witch? I'll show ya **** now!!!

Seriously?

I have worked CS my entire life and cannot fathom talking to people like that!! Mind-boggling!!

Just....ugh. Carry on.

I had a somewhat similar experience at my local OM on Sunday. I needed ink for my printer and some of those CDs you can copy onto. I saw the buy $50 in national brand ink get $10 GC so I got 2 pkgs of ink instead of one to earn the GC. Dh had come in with me and picked out the CD copy things he wanted (and they were on sale). CD things don't ring up on sale so cashier goes back and says oh, the sign was in the wrong spot. The ones dh picked (because they were on sale) weren't supposed to be tagged on sale. He switched with the ones that were (and I was ok with that since the difference in product was not significant, but this location is very incompetent and unpleasant). Then he rings up the printer ink and I'm thinking where is the GC prompt. I had to tell him about the GC. He goes and grabs one and loads $10 onto it. Then I go to pay. I also had a $/$$ Q first. Then I give him my rewards to use and he is trying to enter the numbers manually, but then gives me the same BS about buying a GC with a GC. We do the same disagreement that I am not buying a GC. I am buying ink. He says the GC comes off the price of the ink. I say cancel it all and I will go to another OM. Those must be the words cause then he says he can just take $10 off my order. Fine with me - actually even better cause it's like I got to use the GC to pay for the order. I thought it was just that location though as the store does not look well run to me. I just started doing OM again after at least a year off of them.

I thought Officemax were closing "a lot" of their stores already. :9:

BTW: I love the hold my earrings comment!!

Seriously?

I have worked CS my entire life and cannot fathom talking to people like that!! Mind-boggling!!

But then you are in East Central IA, where you might be related to half the customers...We were invited to DH's cousin's daughter's wedding...turns out she's marrying DIL's cousin...

But then you are in East Central IA, where you might be related to half the customers...We were invited to DH's cousin's daughter's wedding...turns out she's marrying DIL's cousin...

:lol: I dont work in the town I live in, tho. I dont know anyone in that town.

Now, if we were talking about the town I live in...then yes, I married into the town lol

I don't know how the Office Max stays in business - almost no one was in the store about 2 weeks ago. Much prefer Office Depot and/or Staples.

I don't know how the Office Max stays in business - almost no one was in the store about 2 weeks ago. Much prefer Office Depot and/or Staples.

DITTO!
I've had several bad experiences in Office Max over the years due to horrible customer service. I now refuse to step foot in their stores.
It's beyond me how OM has managed to survive. I thought they would have gone out of business ages ago.

Last time I was in officemax, I asked if they had any left-handed kid's scissors. Guy says, no, why would we have those? I say, for left-handed kids? He says, "Oh, you just should have kept slapping his hand until he gave that up and used the right one." And was totally. Not. Joking.

Back