What's new

Nook Tablet vs Kindle Fire

luvagreatdeal

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have either of these and if so, what do you love/hate about the one you have?

I was trying to decide which of these I wanted but DH made the decision for me and bought me the Nook for a Christmas gift. I'm not sure I want to keep it.

I've heard some people say that Barnes & Noble (Nook) has limited selection on entertainments and apps. I read something under headlines a few weeks ago about some sort of problem with the Kindle Fire that was causing people to return them even though they liked it? The Nook costs 249.00 and the Fire is 199.00 but DH thought that in order for me to get most out of the Fire, I'd have to pay for Amazon Prime every year (79.00?) and that would actually make it more costly than the Nook Tablet overall.

I'm not sure I know what I want but I have to decide soon since I'd need to return the Nook soon. I'd mostly use this for reading at home, doing some web browsing and surveys while I watch tv, and my kids (7 and 5) will probably end up using it too. I'd take it out occasionally to hotspots but probably wouldn't use it outside my home that much, unless we were traveling for vacation.

Do you have access to Consumer Reports magazine? They have a great article on this. You might be able to read it online via the library.

I don't have either, but my kids want the Kindle Fire because you can use Netflix.

We got DD a Kindle Fire for Christmas and she loves it. My niece got one too for Christmas and she loves it. DH said the only complaint is that it does not have a camera, but I do not see that as a negative since we all have cameras on our phones.

My niece has her connected to the Library and has read quite a few of the free books off Amazon.

I have a Fire and LOVE it. You'd don't have to get Prime at all, you get the first month of Prime free when you buy it and it's nice to get free 2 day shipping but totally not necessary if you don't buy a lot (I got mine at the beginning of Dec. so I did almost all my xmas shopping on Amazon for the free shipping). There's nothing I don't like about my Fire and haven't had any trouble with it.

My mom got a Fire for Christmas, and she was saying that since you have to put your credit card number in right away in order to set it up, and then it steers you toward one-click buying on Amazon, it could be very easy for kids to accidentally buy things on it. So, we had to watch DD4 pretty close when she played on it. Something to think about if you have young kids who will be playing on it a lot. I don't know how easy it would be for them to unintentionally buy things on a Nook.

DD11 and I both have Kindle Fires. We are enjoying them very much. I don't know anyone who has a Nook so I have not been able to compare the two.
I use my Fire to read, surf the net and play games.
Both of them are registered to my account. Any apps or books that DD downloads appear on my Fire as well. I did not realize that would happen, but I like that I can see the material she is downloading. If she is reading a book, I can click on it on my Fire and see what page she is on.
As far as the "accidental" ordering..... I disabled the 1-click ordering so I have to actually log in to check-out so I won't have any surprise orders coming.
We have a password on our Wi-Fi as well so DD has to ask to use the internet and we have to log in for her. She also will not be allowed to take her Kindle Fire to school. We are just trying to minimize the chances of any predators getting a hold to her via internet.
Many of her classmates (5th grade) have IPads, Nooks, Fires, cell phones, IPod touches and are allowed to use these items without parental supervision.
There are too many freaks out there for me not to keep my eyes on my baby. I'd hate to have to bust a cap in somebody's ****!

I have the Fire and I decided to go with this just incase Barnes and Noble went out of business down the road ~ I also got the free month of Prime ~ with that you are able to view online unlimited movies and tv shows free and download 1 book per month (new books) in addition to the awesome selection of always free books ~ and 2 day free shipping with Amazon ~

I decided to keep my Nook Tablet and I have to say that I am really loving it.

The funny thing is that I couldn't decide which one to keep and was really going back and forth but we happened to go shopping one day and found a Barnes & Noble gift card in the parking lot. It didn't have much on it ... maybe 3.75 or so? ... but I took that as a sign that I should just keep the Nook.

I've basically just been downloading free books and apps from B&N and it's been keeping me (and my kids) very busy. My 5 yo loves having the "Read to Me" books read to him and his vocabulary has improved a ton in just a couple of weeks. And I've been able to catch up on all the episodes of "Greys Anatomy" that I missed earlier this season and watched every single one of them on my Nook.

I was worried that I'd have to spend real money (as opposed to "fake" money LOL) on B&N apps but recently found out that you can claim B&N gift cards from Swagbucks as prizes. So with my Swagbucks earnings (fun money IMO), I can get free books and apps too.

I have a Nook Color and I absolutely love it. I have a techy hubby and he has hacked it run both Kindle and Nook books on it. =) Gotta love that. He has said they are working on a hack for the Kindle Fire too. I use it for surfing, reading, games, movies and just about anything. I do find them hard to type on at times but that is just something you need to get used to. I am running Android software on mine so we get the app of the day from Amazon everyday. =)

Back