What's new

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra vs. ATi Radeon 9800 Pro

Should there be a Surgeon Generals warning on Mc.Donalds food products?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
you people are mistaken nvidia is the leader i have it and can play any game and the graphics are like u are there and after playing a while u eyes start to sore because of the graphics but they all matter on ur proccesor speed they are both good but i will chosse nividia all the way :cool:

firewarrior said:
you people are mistaken nvidia is the leader i have it and can play any game and the graphics are like u are there and after playing a while u eyes start to sore because of the graphics but they all matter on ur proccesor speed they are both good but i will chosse nividia all the way :cool:

Problem is that you're talking about different cards.
This thread was about the 5900, not the new 6800, and the ATI 9800 gave the 5900 a thorough spanking at the time. Now the 6800 is a ton faster than the 9800, but ATI came out with the X800 which is very competitive, performance-wise, with the 6800.

It boils down to this - If you're more focused on OpenGL games, go with Nvidia. If you're more focused on DirectX games, go with ATI. Each is more powerful processing a particular API, so go with the card that will be stronger in the games you like to play.

Diesel said:
It boils down to this - If you're more focused on OpenGL games, go with Nvidia. If you're more focused on DirectX games, go with ATI. Each is more powerful processing a particular API, so go with the card that will be stronger in the games you like to play.

Indeed and considering that Half Life 2 is a DirectX game the X800 would probably be the better choice in the new cards, though the difference would be minimal considering how good the 6800 is at everything. Nvidia have won this most recent battle in my opinion as the 6800 GT is awesome in all departments.

Shane said:
Nvidia have won this most recent battle in my opinion as the 6800 GT is awesome in all departments.

One could certainly argue the opposite, and say that the X800 is also awesome in all departments.
The fact is that they're both excellent cards, and you really can't go wrong choosing one or the other. You'll just see a very marginal performance boost in certain games depending on which one you choose, and that boost will likely only be noticable in benchmarks, and not in real-world gameplay.

I honestly don't see a clear winner in this, except for consumers looking for good gaming performance.

ATI. They have the best drivers, not to mention that they have outstanding image quality and they run cooler.

Back