What's new

nVIDIA vs. ATi

Is Smarty Jones a lock to win the first Triple Crown in 26 years?

• Yes

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Matt_Ncl

Establishing Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
nVIDIA v. ATi

PC gamers have debated this for a long time.

Every time nVIDIA makes something better, ATi strikes back. Everytime ATi strikes back, nVIDIA strikes back. There was the ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, then there was the nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. Of course, we all know the nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra is the best right now, but ATi plans to outdo that.

So, question is... who is really the better GPU maker?

I choose nVIDIA. They are always able to make better performing products, and gamers are usually better on their GPU. In addition, their drivers are better, more adaptive to stuff, and with more features.

ATI is better imo, I have a 9700 pro and could care less what nvidia produces, after having my card for almost a year (next semptember will be a year)... I've never had one problem with it, installation was a breeze and my games had increased in performace durasticly... :)

I use ATI because they are pretty much the company that gives you a lot of performance for very little money. The only thing that still irks me is that their drivers still don't get rid of the skybox lines, which is a minor problem.

it's not like cheating in benchmarks is anything really new.....it's just being currently pushed by the media.

I would have to recommend ATI though, simply because you'll get more for your money, and you won't have to have some crazy Aluminium construction hanging off the side of your GPU taking up 4 slots ;)

I would probably go nVidia, although they are both great GPU makers

Wow thanks Silverstrand! ATI seems to be hitting the right notes when it comes to a HL2 benchmark. :)

Originally posted by xNaChOx
Wow thanks Silverstrand! ATI seems to be hitting the right notes when it comes to a HL2 benchmark. :)

Yes but haven't you heard the news? ATI payed a lot of money for their cards to do better on HL2.

Originally posted by Scatophobe

Yes but haven't you heard the news? ATI payed a lot of money for their cards to do better on HL2.

ATI paid 6 million for hl2 to be bundled with there cards. No where has it been told directly that they paid valve to have their cards run better than nvidia.

Matt said:
nVIDIA v. ATi

PC gamers have debated this for a long time.

Every time nVIDIA makes something better, ATi strikes back. Everytime ATi strikes back, nVIDIA strikes back. There was the ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, then there was the nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. Of course, we all know the nVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra is the best right now, but ATi plans to outdo that.

So, question is... who is really the better GPU maker?

I choose nVIDIA. They are always able to make better performing products, and gamers are usually better on their GPU. In addition, their drivers are better, more adaptive to stuff, and with more features.

you are right about that

ATI for me...I became a convert after I bought a 9600XT. Better drivers, better image quality, and better bang for the buck. I just ordered a Radeon 9700 Pro off Newegg, refurbished, for $135. It's going to come in the mail Tuesday. I can't wait :).

It's made by Sapphire.

nVIDIA

I Would have to say nVidia....

I consider video cards by how long they can support games, price, and how clear the graphics are.

With my nVIDIA i bought two years ago (nVIDIA Geforce 4) Which was quite expensive in my opinion i get crystal clear graphics. Also many games have special video capabilities for nVIDIA users. Another good thing about the nVIDIA drivers is that it comes with nVIDIA desktop functionalities. nVIDIA drivers each also upgrade your CPU's overall speed to up to 500% up till now. Also the card is nowhere near outdated, it supports everything ive encountered (Pixel shading etc.)

I Havent tried a ATI video card before but from what I've heard and my experience with an nVIDIA I think nVIDIA best suits my needs.

nVidia GeForce 6800 256 MB or ATI Radeon - i'm assuming either one would be okay for my needs at this point? even too much maybe ??

oh, and i'm not voting yet :lol: until i understand more.

Yeah, either would be good, depending on the games you play.
Both the 6800 and the X800 are the high-end of the spectrum, and have excellent performance. The 6800 is a bit faster on OpenGL games (like Doom3), while the X800 is a bit faster on DirectX games (like Half-Life 2). Your choice should really focus on the types of games you play, and which card will be stronger for you.

Buying one of these now will give you the top-of-the-line, meaning that you won't have to upgrade for a while, but will set you back an inordinate amount of money for the performance increase over "last year's model". You could drop back a generation with something like the Radeon 9800 Pro, which will be significantly cheaper, and still offer good performance in most games.

right now, the game he's really into is diablo II, which, amazingly enough, is running quite well on our stupid entry-level dell dimension 2400. he does, however, experience a few incidents of "lagging" and he can't really watch most of the "movies" within the game without the machine freezing.

am i right in assuming this wouldn't happen with the cards i mentioned above?

The movies shouldn't tax the video card much at all. IIRC, the movies in Diablo II are BINK files, and are similar to mpg in nature where it doesn't use any of the 3d processing power to render. What may be a better thing to do is defrag the hard drive and see if it still lags. If it does, might be better to see if its doable to add more memory, faster cpu, faster hard drive to it for better all around performance.

Yeah, D2's system requirements are insanely low by today's standards. And the videos don't make use of 3d at all.

Back