What's new

Okay my CW Friends....

bonnie48

Expert Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
need your help! We are going to University of Chicago on Monday the 8th. ...I live in the NW Suburbs and want to take Metra downtown....anyone have any idea how to get there...how many taxi's or can we take buses. I would drive, however it sounds like parking will be a ****. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

How many people will be going? It might be cheaper to buy a 10-ride ticket on Metra. Multiple people can be use a 10-ride ticket at once- your fare per person will be cheaper- conductor just punches per person.

Your station near your home may charge you to park all day. Geneva is $2 a day (in April anyhow- last time I used it). I would feed the slot machine with dollar bills- it did not accept credit cards or debit cards.

There are two stations downtown- Oglivie and Union- they are basically across each other. Union is significantly larger and has Amtrak trains as well.

I am sorry I can't help on the knowing how to get around the El or Pace buses- I don't know Chicago too well. When I commuted, I just walked to my destination- it wasn't far

If you are visiting the university they have parking garage, pretty easy we went in jan. Not a good neighborhood, I would rather be in my own car to get in and out.

The Metra itself stops at 51st - Lake Park, 55th - Lake Park, and 59th and Harper in Hyde Park. If you want to get off Metra downtown the easiest link from downtown to the U of C aside from Metra would probably be the 6 bus. You could in theory take the red line to 55th and take the 55 over from there--but I wouldn't suggest it if you are not familiar with the area. Let's just say the area where you would transfer is very "urban."

I'm definitely not an expert but I think it would be better to drive because the U of C is quite far from the Metra (from the NW suburbs). You should be able to get parking over there without too much hassle.

Check out GOOGLE TRANSIT -- great tool for figuring out how to get from point A to point B using public transportation:

http://google.com/transit

It will tell you which train, which bus, how far you have to walk, etc.

I also recommend driving in your own car. There are many parking garages. If you are going to see a doctor there, the doctor's receptionist will validate your parking garage ticket and it doesn't cost that much.

No we are going for a College Visit ....I guess I will drive, Thanks Everyone.

What time is your tour? DD & I are going at 2:00pm. I told her that from now on, days off from school will be put to good use. :giggles: We're taking the train, but we're on the southside, so the Metra stops pretty near the campus.

8:30 a.m.....we will be on the road at 6:00 a.m. Oye Vey!

U of C doesn't validate parking for admission events? Seems like they should

My son wanted to go but he has school on Monday.

We had a football/college visit in Jan on the day of the years big snow. Got down no problem, took us 4 hours to come come from u of chicago to gurnee. Then had to go back next Am for more meeting. Son spent the night with football players.

We should have stayed downtown!

No we are going for a College Visit ....I guess I will drive, Thanks Everyone.

I would suggest calling the admissions office they should know the best place to park that's near where the tour starts from. I agree driving would be best from out there, a lot less hassle.

How'd your visit go, Bonnie?

We're leaving in a bit...decided to drive. A friend of our is a professor there, his wife just told me I can park at their apartment. :bliss: I was not feeling up for walking to/from the train since it's cold out!

How'd your visit go, Bonnie?

We're leaving in a bit...decided to drive. A friend of our is a professor there, his wife just told me I can park at their apartment. :bliss: I was not feeling up for walking to/from the train since it's cold out!

Well....we got lost going down and coming home! :lol: but we made it at about 9:30 a.m and were able to pick up the next tour at 10:00 a.m. we all really loved the College. I think DS would fit in nicely, however we will have to see about financial aide and scholarships. He wants to major in Economics and History. U of C is his choice for both. He other choices are Harvard and Cornell. I would love for him to be a car ride away instead of a plane ride away.....how did you guys do?

Well....we got lost going down and coming home! :lol: but we made it at about 9:30 a.m and were able to pick up the next tour at 10:00 a.m. we all really loved the College. I think DS would fit in nicely, however we will have to see about financial aide and scholarships. He wants to major in Economics and History. U of C is his choice for both. He other choices are Harvard and Cornell. I would love for him to be a car ride away instead of a plane ride away.....how did you guys do?

Aside from driving past the campus, we've never been there before- it's like it's own little world in there! DD & I loved the campus, it is so beautiful. I was envisioning a bunch of stodgy, super serious kids, but it was quite the opposite- seems like a lot of regular kids so I think my DD would fit in well there, too. She's only a freshman, so we have lots of time, but I'd like to use her days off from school to narrow it down a bit. She's hoping to play softball in college, so that narrows it down a bit. Currently she is thinking pre-med, but like I said she's a freshman so I'm sure that will change. Our good friend is an economics teacher there, so we met him for lunch & his perspective on things...I always feel like I'm in a social experiment every time I talk to him. :lol: It was fun, it was a nice day...I'd be thrilled if DD was accepted there both because it's an excellent school & because of it's proxiimity to our house. One of her other choices is George Washington Univ. in DC & Boston U...kind of far for me & I doubt DH will recognize my need to relocate. :giggles:

I keep skipping over the part where he needs to be accepted first! :lol: I guess all I'm worried about is the $...I mean really what college wouldn't want my son (spoken like a truly bias Mommy) Boy I need to do a reality check and make sure he has some other college's in mind.

Back