What's new

Okay, so who's getting Vista?

I hear yah. I refuse to consume just to consume. My system works fine for what I use it for. No real need to upgrade and plenty of reasons not to.

Although Vista offers plenty of new stuff, even Microsoft themselves said (via MSN news recently): "XP will be supported for many years ahead. Don't upgrade yet if you're unsure; Vista is new and still might contain plenty of things that need to be fixed." (For instance, SP1 for Vista will be released later this year, in which they'll introduce stuff from the server editions that are even further evolved than the desktop versions.)

Technology adoption is a slow process. Many companies are still developing applications at NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 level, and haven't even arrived at XP level yet. The Win32 programming interfaces are still more widespreadly used than the new .NET libraries (which arrived around XP time).

I'm totally baffled by Vista. Vista and Office 2007 are the first true innovation that I've seen from Microsoft, and they're a large step ahead of current software industry. I'm impressed. It's obvious now that they took their time and created things that are very unique. The .NET framework 3.0, introduced with Vista, for instance, contains a full graphics and animation framework (2D and 3D), in which they converged GDI and DirectX. This will make writing games easier than ever, for instance. But time might pass until it'll be widely used. I'm hopeful that application technology will improve dramatically when .NET 3.0 gets adopted properly by the software industry. It can do so much!

So, perhaps some years ahead in the future, when you buy a new computer or something with Vista preinstalled, you'll perhaps get much more than you expected! ;)

Gee, a first release Microsoft product, I think I'll wait for them to get the computers to stop crashing first, then I'll think about it.

As for now, since Windows Vista just launched, backup all your files and secure your network as there are predicably much hackers lurking around the network. Besides, they might have really formidable skills to aide them and Win'Vista may not have that high security standard, bugs are hidden and yet to be fixed. So, making it brief, I will be sticking to Win'Vista till hackers are putted down/off.

Well, Vista seems more stable and secure than any other Windows. Vista took over 6 time years to develop, and it's the biggest effort that was ever put into a new Windows version.

Even as administrator you manually have to authorize every activity that might change the registry, for instance. This is called UAC (user account control). If you work on a limited user account (which didn't work properly in 2000 and XP), you should be just as safe as on a UNIX system. Security permeates everything in Vista. There's a better firewall, a spyware and malware blocker, and other fun stuff. The only thing missing is a virus scanner.

Vista seems to have little to do with previous Windows versions; of course, it's still Windows, but it's far different and much better. I think most people will like it once they get to use it. ;)

Vista is getting replaced by the new windows isn't it?

I heard Vista is pretty sweet though.

double post merged -mj

MJX26 said:
Vista is getting replaced by the new windows isn't it?

I heard Vista is pretty sweet though.

double post merged -mj
"Windows 2008" will be a server not a desktop OS, so it will be quite a while before Vista gets replaced.

Well, Vista seems more stable and secure than any other Windows. Vista took over 6 time years to develop, and it's the biggest effort that was ever put into a new Windows version.

Even as administrator you manually have to authorize every activity that might change the registry, for instance. This is called UAC (user account control). If you work on a limited user account (which didn't work properly in 2000 and XP), you should be just as safe as on a UNIX system. Security permeates everything in Vista. There's a better firewall, a spyware and malware blocker, and other fun stuff. The only thing missing is a virus scanner.

Vista seems to have little to do with previous Windows versions; of course, it's still Windows, but it's far different and much better. I think most people will like it once they get to use it. ;)
UAC was the most annoying **** ever for about 5 minutes before I disabled it. Windows firewall is terrible, as are pretty much all 'software' firewalls. Defender is pretty decent though. I seriously hope MS does not start offering built in AV software, because they'd probably partner with some garbage like Norton or McAffee...

Overall I like Vista, but I hate a lot of little things about it, like my network settings being buried under 4 clicks instead of 2 and so on. Vista refuses to remember my folder settings too. Is it so hard to have My Computer set to tiles and everything else to list? XP did it... And the "Actions" pane that's on the right hand side of all the management consoles can't be permanently removed, and serves no purpose. Ugh.

i've been running vista for a few months now, and i like interface pretty well, particularly the new start menu, but i haven't found it to be very stable... hopefully SP1 will take care of some of that.

Having run Vista for a year at work, I've found very few issues with it that I haven't been able to resolve in short order, now that the mainstream release is out.

I've got it at home (thank you MS Playtesting) to install in the new box I'm building as well. (I've been using my current system for 5 years old now and while it's still running nicely for what I use it for, the shinies lure me onward...)

Back