What's new

Omelettes

Monster

Part Of The Furniture
PF Member
Reaction score
Wow, today I made my first omelette, and I've found they're so easy to make that I'd share how it works:

Omelettes are similar to scrambled eggs. However, instead of shoving the egg around in the frying pan while congealing, an omelette is fried from the bottom until done.

To make an omelette, simply beat any number of eggs (up to 8 ), cracked into a glass or cup, lightly with a fork until egg whites and yolks have mixed, just as you'd do with scrambled eggs. In a non-stick frying pan, melt butter (turn down the heat to medium when the butter throws bubbles). At this point, you can add anything you'd like to go into the omelette. Fry for a while, then finally add the egg. In the beginning, you have a couple of seconds to move the stuff around the pan to be equally distributed. Then simply watch as the egg congeals and the omelette fries from the bottom. When the top starts to dry up (the omelette should still be a bit moist on the top side), slide the omelette onto a plate. Done! :)

mmmmmm, I love omelettes too! My favorite is a cheese omelette with spinach. I only eat them once in a while because of natural egg cholesterol, but they're so good!

I like omlettes when my husband does it - he puts something into it while cooking but he doesn't reveal his secret. But his dish is delicious!

I recently got a copper bowl because I heard egg whites beat up higher in one than a bowl made of something else. During my experiment to see if it was true (it is), I decided to try an omelette. I took the white of a single egg, beat it in the copper bowl until the eggwhite was stiff, then carefully folded the slightly beaten yolk back into it. Then I scooped it out into a saute pan in which I had melted a tablespoon of butter, and because it was so fluffy I put the lid on the saute pan and turned the heat to medium. About a minute, a minute and a half later I gently lifted the lid and "sloshed" the omelette up the sloped side of the saute pan and flipped it over, then put the lid back on and let it cook for another couple of minutes. It was the fluffiest, most delicious omelette I have ever tasted. I swear beating that egg white before cooking it actually changed the taste, and for the better. If you ever find yourself in possession of a copper bowl, by all means try this method of omelette making. You won't regret it.

Wow, today I made my first omelette, and I've found they're so easy to make that I'd share how it works:

Omelettes are similar to scrambled eggs. However, instead of shoving the egg around in the frying pan while congealing, an omelette is fried from the bottom until done.

To make an omelette, simply beat any number of eggs (up to 8 ), cracked into a glass or cup, lightly with a fork until egg whites and yolks have mixed, just as you'd do with scrambled eggs. In a non-stick frying pan, melt butter (turn down the heat to medium when the butter throws bubbles). At this point, you can add anything you'd like to go into the omelette. Fry for a while, then finally add the egg. In the beginning, you have a couple of seconds to move the stuff around the pan to be equally distributed. Then simply watch as the egg congeals and the omelette fries from the bottom. When the top starts to dry up (the omelette should still be a bit moist on the top side), slide the omelette onto a plate. Done! :)
Good job. Omelettes are great fun to make.

I know for a fact they are awesome to make. I sometimes make them at night.
But yeah they do make you fart :fart: in bed at night.

ZIPLOC OMELETTE

(This works great !!! Good for when all your family is together. The best part is that no one has to wait for their special omelette !!!)

Have guests write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.

Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc.

Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.

Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelette's in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.

Open the bags and the omelette will roll out easily. Be prepared for everyone to be amazed.

Nice to serve with fresh fruit and coffee cake; everyone gets involved in the process and a great conversation piece.

eggs1.jpg

eggs2.jpg

eggs3.jpg

eggs4.jpg

Wow that's a great idea!
I'm going to try that next time we have omelets

Oh. My. Goodness. I can't believe what an awesome idea that is! Can I put it in my camping blog recipes? I'll credit you!

Plus, I can hardly wait to make this with my nephews! Thank you so, so much, divastar!

One thing I wonder about though is: Is it safe to use a plastic bag in boiling water? Don't the plastics melt and go into the food?

Polyethylene and polypropylene are the most common types of plastics used in applications like zip-loc bags.

Oh. My. Goodness. I can't believe what an awesome idea that is! Can I put it in my camping blog recipes? I'll credit you!

Plus, I can hardly wait to make this with my nephews! Thank you so, so much, divastar!

You are all welcome of course.

I can't lay claim to the idea though.....it was an email sent to me. So please don't credit me Homebody...just put anon. (as it didnt state who had the original idea)

I am actually world's worst cook! LOL

My fav is IHOP Colorado Omelete;

View attachment 3892

Check out this egg-citing dish
Ingredients:
1/4 cup Diced Sweet Onions
1/4 cup Diced Bell Pepper
1/4 cup Diced Tomatoes (optional)
1/4 cup Diced Cooked Lean Ham
3/4 cup Finely Shredded Cheddar Cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
1/4 cup Diced Lean Bacon (fried and drained)
1/3 cup Sliced Small Breakfast Sausage Links (fry and drain)
1/3 cup Shredded Roast Beef or Dice Roasted Beef From the Deli
4 Eggs Beaten (measuring one cup)
1/8 cup Water
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Butter

Attachments

• omellete01.jpg
    omellete01.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 61
The ZipLoc safety guidelines page says that zip-loc bags are not for boiling.

Thanks for checking into that, Monster; not everyone would make sure ziplocs were safe. Fortunately we can get boiling bags, which are made specifically for cooking things in the bag in boiling water. So the baggy-omelettes are on!

And thanks, divastar; I will indeed credit anonymous for this brilliant idea. You're a gem for passing the idea on; I can hardly wait to make it!

Fortunately we can get boiling bags, which are made specifically for cooking things in the bag in boiling water.

Which product is it? Perhaps we can get similar ones here.

I'm also interested in this! :)

This is probably the most common company for the majority:

http://www.mqpackaging.com/cookingbags.htm

--I haven't bought boiling bags in awhile from the grocery store, so I'm not sure what brand we get here in Canada. But I'll look for them and report back when I find them.

Thank you! :)

I'm not sure if we have something similar here, but I'll look for them next time I go shopping! :)

And thanks, divastar; I will indeed credit anonymous for this brilliant idea. You're a gem for passing the idea on; I can hardly wait to make it!

You are most welcome Homebody - I hope they turn out great. Let us know.

Back