What's new

Once upon A Child

alleykat20

Mastermind Talker
PF Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever sold their children's clothes at this store? How are they? I had given my SIL over 18 garbage bags of ALL my DD's clothes from birth to size 5. I am thinking for son it would be better for me to sell them so I can get some Ca$h.

Great for buying..but the 2 times we went to sell stuff...they are VERY picky about what they will take.

Great for buying..but the 2 times we went to sell stuff...they are VERY picky about what they will take.

Ok, thanks good to know. Like on brand they are picky? For example are looking only for Gymboree, designer, etc. and less willing to Take target brand or walmart?

Ok, thanks good to know. Like on brand they are picky? For example are looking only for Gymboree, designer, etc. and less willing to Take target brand or walmart?

Yes, they are looking for the name brand stuff and in near perfect condition. They have some database they use to look up brands and styles of clothes. I have seen target stuff in there(still with the price tags).

While I was in there, a women was trying to sell a basic snow sled. They offerred her .70. Another women at the store said she will buy it from here for $3 bucks!!!! :lol:

I did years ago & we had all designer clothes barely worn. They were very picky. It seems like they want to point out any thing they can to give you less.

I brought 4 boxes of presorted clothes there one time. I had gone through and only brought name brand and clothes that were in really good condition. They offered to buy 3 items. Totaling to somewhere around $3. You will get much more just having a garage sale. I took my items with me. I will buy from there, but I will never bother to try to sell clothing there again. I did sell a excersaucer, bouncy seat and a portable swing, and they were reasonable enough for those, but nothing else.

Two years ago, before the official announcement, that we were in a recession. You could find really nice stuff for a great price and sell items and get back $40 or more back. Was happy to do business with them. That is when I first had my daughter. About six months ago tried to sale to them winter/fall/spring items and was insulted because I know that I had good name brand items. Some things still had tags on them they wanted 3/4 of my 2 - 13 gallon bags and tried to offer me $12. I told her you got to be kidding me, this stuff is not even 6 months old. Told them I would rather give the clothes away to someone who needs them, then to sell to them and I will never be back to their store. The prices that you see there are prices you can get at the department store, brand new with coupons. Haven't been back since. This is the Orland Park store, the owner owns several in different suburbs.

I have had similar experiences, but I do still like to sell there on occasion. I only bring in name brand perfect condition stuff. The really hot labels (Boden, Hanna, Crewcuts, etc) I list on eBay and get MUCH more for.

I NEVER got a good price there and I had boy clothes in near mint condition! Ebay or even a children's clothing resale at a school or church would get you more money! You could also try Craigslist (I don't have them come to my house, they meet me at a STarbucks).

I agree with the others that you would be better off on your own. My hair stylist gave me a huge bag of clothes a couple years ago. She just happened to have them in her trunk cuz she was going to go there. Said she'd just as soon give them to me. It would save her the trip and she knew she wouldn't get much for them anyway. You can try listing on craigslist too if you don't want to do a garage sale. A friend of mine bought a lot of 50 pieces for her son. So you could separate them into size and season and sell them off like that.

I've had good and bad experiences at Once Upon a Child. Naperville SUPER picky about clothes and you can't bring in much and they only take the first 25. It's like a race to get your clothes in before they aren't accepting any more for the day. Joliet location seems fair.

Depending on where you are and if you can hold out, in the fall & spring there are major resales at the Dupage County fairgrounds. I am not sure of all the details as I went in with some friends for seller tickets but in the end I came home with about $130...this was after they take 30% b/c it is for charity. All of my items sold on avg for $3 but I did have some shoes go for more like $5-$20 depending on the brand. I did NOT have that many items in the sale and I was pricing high...I figured if they didn't sell there, I would throw them in a garage sale. I was given back maybe 4 items that didn't sell. I have already started putting the items for the fall resale aside (they take fall/winter items in the fall, spring/summer in the spring). It is also a great place to get deals too...we got a bike trailer for $25 almost new condition.

http://www.dupagemothersandmore.org/ClothingResale.html

My persoanl opinion of OAC is they suck...they are rude, their clothes are overpriced for what you are getting and you can make SO much more $$ elsewhere.

I know the Once Upon a Child in Round Lake is not taking any more summer or spring clothes. I think it is an easy way to get rid of stuff, but don't expect to make a lot of money.

I took a huge box into one our local store last year and they picked out one shirt that was brand new with tags and offered me $1. Haven't been back since.

what everyone else said. my DG store closed last year, I get better bargains shopping gap and target clearance.

We just donate it. I just don't have the patience to deal with it, and counts as a charity deduction.

We just donate it. I just don't have the patience to deal with it, and counts as a charity deduction.

Ok, thanks everyone. I think I will do a yard sale and whatever doesn't sell I will donate for sure.

Back