What's new

Opinions please....how old is too old?

Sometimes moms (myself included) should just STFU.

Sometimes moms (myself included) should just STFU.

:shesaid:

Tell your mom what I tell mine, you appreciate that is how she would handle it if she was raising him, but he is your child and you'll raise him the way you think you should. Then throw in the part about her raising you so well that you are sure you are up to the task ;)

What can she say to that? That she didn't raise you properly? Not likely :snicker:

I couldn't agree more with everyone here - what purpose does it serve to take that away from that sweet boy?? Unless he's dragging it everywhere and friends are teasing him there is nothing wrong with him comforting himself with that blankie. My 8 yo has stuffed animals on his bed that he loves and sleeps with - what's the harm?

You have one of the best gifted programs not far from you at the Belin Blank Center housed at the University of Iowa. They work with twice gifted students including those
who are are gifted with ADHD. Look them up. They have scholarships for their weekend programs and their summer programs. We have sent our children to their programs for over a decade.

My dd is also 8 and there is no way she could give up her blanket. It drives my dh crazy sometimes, but I believe when they are ready they will let it go! No harm done:)

You have one of the best gifted programs not far from you at the Belin Blank Center housed at the University of Iowa. They work with twice gifted students including those
who are are gifted with ADHD. Look them up. They have scholarships for their weekend programs and their summer programs. We have sent our children to their programs for over a decade.

"gifted with ADHD".............I love you for saying that. :wan:

My baby has ADHD and after dealing with his teachers for a few years now, I def. never feel like peeps think it's a gift. :surrender:

Hmm! Thank you for this information! I think I will research it and see if they sponsor any programs closer to us. Iowa City is an hour away... But might be worth it!

Belin Blank Center has done extensive research on twice gifted children - that includes children with ADHD. They have helped guide us in many ways. Since your school is in Iowa, the school should be familiar with them. If BBC has suggestions, your school should be open to the suggestions given the significance of the program. Good Luck!

this is what the BBC lists as a Twice Exceptional Child:

"Twice-exceptional students are gifted and talented students with learning, behavioral, or social impairments, such as autism spectrum disorders (ASD), specific learning disabilities (SLD), and attention-deficit/ hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). These students are at significant risk in America’s schools because their disabilities often mask their academic potential. Twice-exceptional students are underrepresented in gifted and talented programs and rarely receive appropriate direct services in schools, which places these students at an academic and social disadvantage. For twice-exceptional students to flourish academically and socially, they must be appropriately identified and have access to programming opportunities that address both their gifts and their needs."

This does not fit Jonny. He does not have any learning, behavioral, or social impairments. He is 6-10 months younger than his classmates(example: Jonny will turn 8 in early August, 3rd grade starts mid-August. Most of his classmates are well into their 8th year and approaching 9 or are already 9.) He is, I believe, the youngest or second-youngest in his grade. When he was in preschool(4 years old, all the other kids were 5) and was reading for most of the school year...we struggled with putting him in what our district calls "JumpStart Kindergarten" which is kindergarten at a slower pace, so they get ready for the structure of class. Jonny's preschool teacher strongly suggested we put him in regular kindergarten, and after much deliberation, we decided to go for it.

When I say he is socially behind...I should explain that I mean that since he is so much younger than his classmates, he is not as mature as they are. he totally fits the social readiness of a 7 year old...but when you put him in a room full of 8.5 year olds, he seems very immature...because he is compared to them. That, along with the fact that he is 4 foot 9ish and 100 pounds of energy...People think he is older and expect him to act as such. He can't act older than a 7 year old, because that is what he is. Also, he is a very "out of the box" thinker, so he processes things differently.

Oh,and he was in the "talented and gifted" program at his school in kindergarten... He was hand selected to join, and it is rare for kindergarteners to be selected! He was booted out after 3 months because, and I quote, "Jonny requires too much one on one attention and work." uh...

He hasn't been asked to join again *eyeroll*

My son 18 now, had a blanket. Tattered and shreaded. I let him do what he wanted with it. He stopped taking it places on his own....but I would always see it around...you know, under his pillow and what not. Well within the last year I have not seen it. His bed has little caps that fit on top of the corner post of his bed if you don't want to have bunk beds. Well for some reason I removed one of the caps and in the hole I found a little scrap of his blanket...he put it there....so fricken cute...he is still my baby going on 19....blankets are fine at any age..IMO. They keep them because it reminds them of things that make them happy.

Both of my dd's had the pacifier and one day we/I would stop them cold turkey. My youngest I stopped about a month or two ago and she is still finding them around the house. She never could when she wanted them. They don't have a particular thing that they keep, but my youngest likes to take things with just because, she is 3 1/2.

I am 36 and have a blanket and a Snoopy that I call Eddie. The blanket is in the closet and Eddie is in pieces because of a family pet. I think a few more pieces from dd's. I don't show it off in public, but it is in my pocket and I will hold it. It was sewn with something that is not thread and it has always been comforting to me.

Back