PF Member
Reaction score
Maze4
Black Ice Pro
Hydor L30
Typhoon 5.25 reservoir
Clearflex tubing

A few questions:
Do I HAVE to put a 120mm fan on the radiator? I don't have one at the moment and I don't have the money to buy them yet.
Would it be better to buy 2x120mm or just 1 fan?
How does the fan mount on the radiator? Do you just use regular fan screws?

I also don't have the money to buy the coolant stuff you put in the distilled water. Is there anything I can do for now?

Any other suggestions you guys have for an extreme watercooling n00b? Thanks! :D

you do need a fan and the radiator should have tapping screws, for the fans and yes its better to have 2 if you want crazy cooling but 1 will suffice easily

Would I damage the radiator if I don't put on a fan on now? BTW, I can have one of my intake fans blowing on it...would that be okay?

it would be pretty crappy, you wont' damage the radiator but your processor might get pretty hot

Yea the radiator is just used to cool the liquid flowing through the wc system. Not having a fan will just hurt your components the wc is hooked up to. I as well suggest 2 fans or even 4 or as many as you want it doesn't matter

if the purpose of water cooling is to replace fans,...then what's the bonus of having a water cooled system? There are still fans that have to cool the water. So i guess it's a little more efficient?

Lower temperatures.

I just ordered 2x120mm fans for only $10 so I guess I am almost set. Just need some antifreeze now...

look t at the difference in temps and ask yourself: is teh extra noise worth the delta T ?

ok, make a shroud, a shroud is so the whole rad gets air thru it. It may not get 100cfm throught the whole rad but you get alot more surface area, also if you want to replace the fans then make a bong for it. Good luck and i want w/c too!

I just bought 2x120mm fans so I won't need a shroud now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Also, does anyone know what size screws are used to mount a 120mm fan on the radiator?

uh....you still need a shroud, unless you are breaking the fan just for the frame.

Back